The Richland County – Shelby Chapter
Of The Ohio Genealogical Society


     
     
    Original Photo 1924
     
    The Families Who Farmed Our Land
     
     
     
    The following Biographies of "SHELBY FARMERS" are paraphrased
    from an original collection of biographies titled "SHELBY FARMERS"
    appearing in the 1907 Shelby Globe. It is due to the hard work of
    the original writer, Henry E. Sheets that we have these to add our
    collection of historical research. He stated it was his purpose to
    interview every farmer within 9 miles of Shelby.
     
    Due to the length of these articles, I have condensed them.
    I have tried to recapture all of the historical details in my writing
    but would certainly encourage you to make a trip to the
    genealogy room at the Marvin Library and to view the
    original text on micro-film. - Mr. Kim B. Histed
     
     
     
    J. W. ACKERMAN
     
    was born in Crawford County on November 3, 1871.
    His father Jacob and his mother Caroline still live in
    Crawford County. There were 11 children born into
    his mother and father's family.

    J.W. Ackerman lives 3 miles and a half from Shelby on
    R.R. 2. He was educated in the district schools and
    is a carpenter by trade.

    In 1899 he married IDA BROWN of Crawford County.
    They have 2 children, a boy and a girl. Ackerman owns
    63 acres of land. Before becoming actively associated
    with farming he did contracting all over Richland and
    Crawford County. Both he and his wife belong to the
    United Brethren Church.
     
     
    GORDAM ADAMS
     
    was born Jan 13, 1862(?) in Plymouth township.
    His mother Elizabeth and father Samuel are both dead.
    Of his father and mother's family 6 children were born.
    Five of whom are living, four reside in this county.

    Mr. Adams lives 3 miles from town in Cass Township
    on R.R.#4. He attended district schools and he is
    a carpenter by trade and a good workman.

    In 1897 he married CORA BELSTLINE ( Beistline)
    who was born and raised in Richland County.
    They have one child, a boy.
     
     
     
    W. H. ADAMS
     
    was born in Shiloh, Richland County on January 14, 1844.
    His father, Andrew was born in Pennsylvania and his Mother
    Ann was born in Richland County. He had 3 siblings,
    two of whom are now living, having a sister in Indianapolis.

    In 1872 he married MARY HUMBERT of Richland County.
    They have 4 children, 3 still being at home.
    The Adams live 3 miles from Shelby on R.R.# 4.
    Mr. Adams has 163 acres.

     
    GEORGE ARMOLD
     
    was born March 4, 1849 in Perry County, Pennsylvania,
    coming to Ohio with his father John P. and his mother,
    Susanna - both deceased.

    He has 3 siblings living. The family lived in Stark County
    before coming to Richland County. Mr. Armold lives 3 miles from
    town on R.R.#1 on the family homestead comprised of 109 acres.

    In 1877 he married AGNES RHODES who was born in
    Richland County. Their daughter married JOHN HOFFMAN of
    Shelby, their son is a druggist in Mansfield, Richland County, Ohio.
     
    George Armold and his wife are members of the
    Lutheran Church at London.
     
     
    ISSAC F. ARTZ
     
    who lived East of Shelby on R.R.#1 was born in Franklin
    Township, Richland County on January 2, 1871. His
    father Henry and his mother Hannah were of the old settlers.
    His father has been dead for years while his mother is still living.
    He had 5 siblings, one is now dead.

    Issac Artz has worked on a farm all of his life and for several
    years engaged in teaming and for a period of 18 months worked at
    the Shelby Tube.
     
    Artz married EMMA COVER in 1894. They have 4 children
    at home.
     
    Currently he is in charge of 80 acres rented from Gideon Arnold.
    In the spring he will move to a farm owned by the Bricker Brothers,
    which is 1 1/2 milesfrom town.
     
     
    CHARLES BAIRD
     
    was born in Crawford County in February of 1876 to
    John and Lizzie Baird and currently lives 10 miles north of Shelby.
    He has 7 siblings, 6 are still living. His father came to this
    county from Germany while his mother is a native of America.

    Six years ago he married NELLIE FAULKNER who was reared in
    Crawford County. They have 3 children, 2 boys and 1 girl.

    He purchased his 60 acre farm from James Powers.
     
    Prior to coming to Richland County, Baird lived in Huron County.
    He is a member of the Auburn Grange and been Road Supervisor
    for 3 years. The Bairds are members of theMethodist Church.

     
    ELMER M. BAKER
     
    was born in Franklin Township, Richland County on March 6,
    1866 to Daniel and Malinda Baker. He has 8 siblings. 6 in Richland
    County, 1 in Ashland and 1 in Cleveland.

    Mr. Baker lives on 40 acres of land, 1 1/2 miles from town on
    R.R. #5 and is a carpenter by trade.

    In 1885 he married MARGARET ELIZABETH SMITH, a Richland
    County native. They had 3 children. One is dead. Of the two son's
    living, one is 20 and the other is 10.

    Mr. Baker is Road Supervisor, Constable and School Director.
    He and his wife attend the Reformed Church.
     
     
     
     
    D. L. BAKER
     
    who resides 3 miles from town on R.R.#1, was born in
    Cumberland Pennsylvania, April 3, 1843. Both of his parents
    have been dead for some time and of the 3 children born to
    his parents, two are living.

    In 1853 he came to Ohio and settled in Crawford County remaining
    there until 1859 when he moved to Wyandot County. Next he moved
    to Bellville in Richland County and remained there for 5 years.
     
    Next he came to Shelby, Ohio and bought his present 22 acre farm.
    He was married for the first time in 1865 and in 1882 married his
    second wife Miss Kitzmiller. Of the second union there have been
    5 children. Two are still at home.

    Both he and his wife are members of the Church of God. He
    is also a member of the I.O.O.F. and the Masons.
     
     
     
    G. W. BARGA
     
    lives 3 miles from Shelby on R.R.#2. He was born on May 24, 1835
    in Sharon Township, Richland County Ohio. His father was a pioneer
    to the area coming from Virginia while his mother was born in
    Pennsylvania. His father fought in the war of 1812 shortly before
    coming to Ohio.
     
    Mr. Barga had 5 siblings, all are dead except for 3 boys.
    A brother lives in Michigan and one lives in Toledo.
     
    At the outbreak of the Civil war, he enlisted in the 15th regiment O.V.I.
    and in 1864 re-enlisted in the 163 O.V.I. At the second enlistment
    he was made a corporal.

    In 1862 he married FANNIE COBLE of Richland County.
    They have 3 children and live on a 77 acre farm. He is a road
    supervisor and he and his wife attend the Myers Chapel of the
    Lutheran Church.
     
     
     
    J. L. BARGAHEISER
     
    was born on the 29th of November 1834 in Sharon Township,
    Richland County Ohio and now resides 1 mile from town on R.R. 3.

    His father Levi and mother Susan were among the first settlers to
    settle the area and had 5 children. Two survive. Levi was a soldier in
    the war of 1812. He entered a quarter section of land here in 1815 but
    did not settle on it until 1818. Coming here from Pennsylvania with
    Martin Ruffner, Levi was very close to the scene of the historic
    massacre of Ruffner and Seymour. The papers for entering the
    land were signed by James Monroe and the deed signed by
    Andrew Jackson.

    In 1856, J.L. Bargaheiser married Mary Ellen Price of Knox County.
    They have 7 children, one son and two daughters are now living.
    Both Mr. Bargaheiser and his wife are members of
    the Lutheran Church.
     
     
     
    H. J. BARNES
     
    lives 3 1/2 miles from Shelby on R.R.#5. He was born in
    Richland County January 12, 1854 to Patrick and Katherine
    Barnes. Both Deceased. He had 9 siblings, 5 are still living.
     
    Mr. Barnes was married in 1882 to CARRIE PITTENGER, they
    have 5 children.
     
    Mr. Barnes has 151 acres of land, is a school director and township
    trustee. He is a carpenter by trade and he and his wife attend
    the Lutheran Church.
     
     
     
    WILLIAM J. BERG
     
    lives 1 1/2 miles from Shelby on R.R.#3. He was born in Mansfield
    on November 22, 1871. His father William J. and his mother Mary,
    both dead, lived in Richland County for years.
     
    Mr. Berg had 3 brothers and a sister, 2 of whom are now living.
    From his 7th to his 12th year he lived in Mansfield and attended
    school there. From this time until he was 21 he lived in London
    where he attended school.
     
    He was married seven years ago to LAURA LYBARGER of near
    Ganges, they have 4 children.
     
    He is cultivating 80 acres of land that he rents from George Arnold.
    Mr. Berg and his wife are members of the Reformed Church.
     
     
     
     
     
     
    THOMAS S. BRADLEY
     
    Of the men of Shelby and Richland County Thomas S. Bradley is
    the best known. He was born 1 mile north of the reformatory in
    Madison Township on June 18, 1832. His father William B.
    and mother Priscilla, were the parents of 10 children, 6 of whom
    are still living. William B. came from Maryland and his mother
    came from York State. Both migrating to this state at a very
    young age.
     
    From the time he was 2 years of age until he was 20, Thomas S. Bradley
    lived on a farm 5 miles east of Shelby. He then got the western fever
    and in 1852 left this state for California, mining for gold from the
    American River to British Columbia.
     
    On his first trip he remained in California for 7 years, working in
    practically every camp of consequence in the state. He then
    returned to his home in Ohio for a short time before returning
    to California.
     
    On his way he stopped in Denver when a few straggling houses
    constituted all there was of the City. He remained in Colorado for
    3 months and then continued on to California, where he worked at a
    mining and blacksmithing for 8 years. In 1862 he went to Idaho
    and remained there for a number of years. In 1865 he was in
    Virginia City Montana where he stayed for 6 months. He then
    went to Courtney River Country in British Columbia. Afterward
    he returned to Idaho for 3 years before coming back to Ohio.
    Thomas S, Bradley is among the very few who were in the
    Grand Gold Rush which made history for the world.

    On returning to Ohio he married MISS MARY ALAMAN, who
    was reared east of Shelby and together they went to farming,
    until about 6 years ago when they retired moving to Second Street
    in Shelby.
     
    Mr. Bradley owns a number of farms. 109 acres 1 1/4 miles from
    town, 80 acres East on Ganges road and one of 75 acres north of
    the sewer plant.
     
    He is a stockholder in the Shelby Land Improvement Company
    and the Sutter Furniture Company.
     
     
     
    D. M. BERNHISEL
     
    lives 2 1/2 miles North West of Shelby on R.R.#3 He was born
    in Perry County, Pennsylvania, January 2, 1852 to William
    and Catherine Bernhisel. Both are dead. There were 6 children in
    his parent's family, 3 boys and 3 girls. All are living. All the brothers
    and sisters still live in Pennsylvania.

    In 1889 he married LAURA NELSON of Shiloh. They have 1 child.
    Mr. Bernhisel came to Ohio March 5, 1879 and farms 202 acres
    of land he rents from John Coby.

    Mr. Benhisel is a stockholder in Peoples Telephone Company and
    at present is a School Director. All of his family is a member of
    pathfinders and he and his wife attend the Lutheran Church.
     

     
    FREDERICK BRAGG
     
     
    A rural mail carrier for R.R.#1 is also a farmer on a small scale, living
    just 2 1/2 miles from Shelby on R.R.#1.

    He was born in London Ontario. His father James is dead but his mother Martha is still living. There were 7 children in his parents family, 5 boys and 2
    girls, all of still living. Five have come to the states, 2 remain at the old home where the mother resides.
     
    Frederick came to the states 8 years ago, first to Rhode Island, living
    there for 2 years and then on to Shelby. Nine years ago he
    married Henrietta Waite of London Ontario. They have 1 child.
    Mr. Bragg and his wife are members of the Baptist Church.
     
     
     
    Original Photo 1924
     
     
     
    I. F. BRICKER
     
     
    Resides 4 miles south east of Shelby on R.R.#5. He was born
    August 29th 1886 on the George Kuhn property east of town.
    His father Issac and his mother Katherine were both born in
    Pennsylvania and married in Ohio. They were the parents of
    15 children, 12 now living, 7 living in Richland County.

    Bricker attended District School and the Northwestern Ohio Normal
    University in Ada, completing the Law course in 1892, for 5 years
    he taught school.

    He married CLARA BROWN, who was reared in this county. They
    have 2 children and live on a 80 acre farm.
     
    He served 3 years as a Notary in Mansfield and has
    served 4 years as a Township Clerk and is now Township
    Trustee. He is a member of the Union Grange.
     
     
     
     
    JACKSON A. BRICKER
     
    Who resides 1 1/2 mile from Shelby on R.R.#1, was born in
    Jackson Township and has always resided there. His father Issac
    and his mother Caroline coming here from Pennsylvania.

    Mr. Bricker has 11 brothers and sisters, all living. His mother is
    still living on the old homestead. In 1903 he married ANNA KUHN
    who was reared in Richland County. They have 1 child and live on a
    140 acre farm.

    Mr. Bricker is a member of the K of P Lodge and the Union Grange.
    Both he and his wife belong to the Lutheran Church.
     
     
     
    DANFORTH BROWN
     
     
    Has lived among us for the past 72 years. He was born May 7,
    1829 in West Virginia, coming here as a child. His father James Brown
    was born February 19, 1794 and his Grandfather was born in
    Lexington Massachusetts and was in the Revolutionary
    war. All of his ancestors were of Puritan stock.
     
    In 1835, James Brown emigrated from Virginia to Plymouth
    and then to Shelby. Danforth Brown has 3 boys living,
    2 in Cleveland and one in Kansas.

    Mr. Brown owns 243 acres of land here and another 200 acres
    along the Ohio River. He is a Stockholder and Director of the First
    National Bank of Shelby and has been a Township Trustee for 24
    years. 12 years in Plymouth and 12 years in his present location.
    Having lived at his present location for 41 years. It has been a
    just a short time since he has lost his wife.
     
     
     
    R. M. BROWN
     
     
    Lives 5 miles from Shelby on Mansfield R.R.#1., Jackson
    Township. He was born in Franklin Township in April of 1863.
     
    His father David, and mother were both natives of this state.
    His father having died some years ago but his mother is still living.
    The family moved to Jackson Township 32 years ago.
     

    In 1880, Mr. Brown attended Ashland College for 2 years.
    In 1888 he married ALICE BARBER who was born in Jackson
    Township. They have 5 children and live on 160 Acres.

    Mr. Brown is a member of the Union Grange and he and
    his wife are members of the Church of God at Taylortown.
     
     
     
    FRANK H. BRUBAKER
     
     
    Has grown up among us and been a Shelby resident all of his life.
    He was born March 7, 1858 and his father Jacob, and his mother
    Susan, are still living. Both of his parents were born in this
    country.

    In 1879 he Married LOUISA BROOKS. They have 3 children,
    1 boy and 2 girls. Recently Mr. and Mrs. Brubaker were made
    grandparents.

    The Brubakers live on 80 acres of land 1/2 mile North West
    of Shelby on R.R.#3. It is a splendid farm.
     
    Mr. Brubaker moved to Shelby this week and purchased the
    B.J. Williams property on North Gamble Street.
    From there he will still over see his farm.
     
     
     
    JACOB H. CASTNER
     
    Lives 1 mile from Shelby on R.R.#6. He was born in Blair County,
    Pennsylvania, April 30, 1848. His father Jacob B. and mother
    Margaret came here in 1866, when Castner was 18. Being reared
    in Pennsylvania he attended Williamsport Pennsylvanina College.
    Jacob H. Castner married ANNA R. ALDERHOLT in 1872. They
    have one daughter who is married and lives in Philadelphia.

    When the Civil war broke out, Castner enlisted in Company C,
    133rd, Regt. Pennsylvania Inft. Vol., then in Company I, 194th
    Pennsylvania Inft. Vol., and Company H, 22nd Regt. Pennsylvania
    Cavalry Vol,. and saw some hard Active Service.

    Mr. Castener has been in the railroad business nearly all of his life .
    In 1890, he returned to Shelby and bought the Hotel Shelby. For
    about 5 years he conducted this Hostelry. After this he leased the
    property and returned to Pennsylvania. Later he returned to Shelby
    and bought his present 36 acres. Mr. Castner still owns the hotel in
    Shelby, now known as the Elston.

     
     
    JOHN CASTOR
     
    Lives 1 mile from Shelby on R.R.#6 and is on the Electric line.
    Castor was born in Richland County in December of 1854(?).

    His father Daniel and mother Mary had 5 children; 4 boys and
    1 girl. His father was reared in Richland County and his mother
    in New York State.
     
    Mr. Castor was reared on a farm in Bellville. In March of 1879,
    he married MISS FRANK CLINE, they have 4 children, two married
    and 2 at home.

    Mr. Castor has 50 acres with a good house. The Castors attend
    the Methodist Church.
     

     
    JOHN CHAMPION
     
    Lives 3 miles from Shelby on R.R.#3. He was born July 4, 1864
    in Plymouth Township, Richland County and lives on the same
    place where he first saw the light of day.

    His father John and mother Christena have 3 children, all living in
    Richland County. His father is dead but his mother is still in
    good health at 70.
     
    Mr. Champion has been married twice and of these unions has
    one child.
     
    He has 9 acres of farmland and enjoys raising melons and potatoes and
    has a wide reputation for selling them both in Shelby and Mansfield.
     
     
     
     
    W. D. COOVER
     
    Lives 3 miles from Shelby on R.R.#1 and was born in Cumberland,
    Pennsylvania in November 1855.
     
    His father Isaac and his mother Mary were born in
    Pennsylvania and came to Ohio in 1861. There were 7 boys and
    4 girls in his parent's family, all living, 7 within Richland County.

    In 1877, he married ESTEHR BELLE LYBARGER who was reared
    in Richland County. They have 3 boys and 2 girls. 4 of the children
    are now grown, 2 daughters are married and the 3 boys are at home.
     
     

     
    AMOS CRALL
     
    Lives 2 miles from Shelby on R.R.#6 and was born in Richland County,
    November 24, 1845 to Simon and Elizabeth Crall. Simon died in
    Crawford County in 1882. His wife passed away in 1857.
     
    Of the children of the couple, J. B. Crall lives in Berrien County,
    Michigan, Anna has been dead for many years, S. B. Crall resides in
    Fostoria, Ohio. John B. lived in he old family home in Pennsylvania,
    Mary A, resides in Eton County, Michigan and David lives in Berrien
    County, Michigan.

    When the family first came to Ohio they lived in Richland County, and
    then in Crawford County where the parents died.
     
    In 1871 Amos Crall married ELIZABETH URICK who was a native
    of Richland County. They had 3 children, one passed on.

    Mr. Crall has 3 acres of land and both he and his wife
    attend U.B. Church.
     
     
     
     
    SAMUEL F. ECKIS
     
    Was born in Auburn Township, Crawford County on December 10, 1845
    to Jacob and Martha Eckis.
     
    His father was born in Mahoning County, Ohio and his mother
    was born in Cumberland, Md. They were married in Columbiana,
    County in 1832.
     
    Samuel was one of nine children born to Jacob and Martha and
    the only one who survives.
     
    Samuel attended DeKalb Seminary for several terms. He taught school
    for several winters in 1863-64 and in May of 1864 enlisted in
    Company F, 163rd, Regt. O.V.I. and was musterd out on
    September 10, 1864. Afterward he went back to the farm and married
    MARTHA J. GARNHART, and to them was born Howard and Ezra.
    Both of whom are now married.

    Mr. Eckis lives on the old Garnhart homestead 1 mile from town
    on RD#3. He has worked as a carpenter and was one of the
    organizers of the Sharon Grange. He has been President and
    Secretary of the Farmers Institute and an organizer of the
    Farmers Association, which met for 10 years at the Blackman's
    School House. They held many picnics at Blackman's Grove.
     
    He is a member of the G.A.R. and is now serving his second term
    as Commander of Harker Post. Both he and his wife are members
    of the Lutheran Church, and for 25 years he was superintendent
    of the Sunday School at Myers Church.
     
     
    Original Photo 1924
     
     
     
    RICHARD FINNEGAN
     
    Better know as "Dick", lives 5 miles from Shelby on Route 2
    and was born west of where he now lives, in Crawford County,
    April 24, 1853, to John and Helen Finnegan. They were the
    parents of 8 children, all but 2 are living.
     
    On October 23, 1877, he married VIOLA MOTT who was reared
    in Richland County. They have 8 children, one is dead. All
    the children live at home, the two oldest are school teachers.

    Mr. Finnegan has 120 acres of land and has been a member of
    the school board for 20 years, has several years on the Jury
    Commission and has been a member of the County examining
    Board. He is the President of Weaver Stock Company.

    In Crawford County he was a Trustee and Constable and member
    of the National Gaurd under Captain Stambaugh.
     
    He is a member of the C.K.of O and the Catholic Church.
     
     
     
    LESTER FOSTER
     
    Resides 1 1/2 miles south west of Shelby on R.R.#6 and was born
    on the same place, June 20, 1872.
     
    His father Rueben was born 1 1/2 miles south of Shelby in 1842.
    His mother Sarah was born in 1844 in Carlisle, Cumberland
    County, Pennsylvania. In the Elder Foster Family there were 4
    children, 2 boys and 2 girls, 3 reside in Richland County,
    1 in Crawford County.

    In 1895, Lester married MINNIE SHOUP of Ashland County,
    they have no children.
     
    From 1900 until a few weeks ago, Lester Foster lived in Shelby
    and was assistant to George Sutter, Sutter Furniture Company.
    Now back on his homestead, he has 90 acres of land under
    cultivation.

    He is a member of the J.O.U.A.M. and both he and
    his wife attend the Methodist Church.
     
     
     
    JOSEPH F. GOSSER
     
    Lives 4 miles south west of Shelby on R.R.2. He was born in
    Crawford County in November of 1848 to Fredrick and Frances
    Gosser. They were parents to 12 children. One lives in Cleveland,
    one in Mansfield and the remainder reside in this vicinity.

    In 1876 he married SUSANNAH MILLER who was reared in
    Richland County. They have 8 children, three of the girls are
    married.

    Mr. Gosser has 40 acres of his own land and farms 120 acres near by.
    He has lived on the 40 acres some 22 years and both he and his wife
    attend the Catholic Church.
     
     
     
    CHARLES GRIBBEN
     
    Was born in Ashland County, September 19, 1862, when the
    country was in the Great Civil War.

    His father Peter and mother Eliza, are both dead. They had lived
    in Richland County a long time.
     
    In 1892, Charles married SADIE HUMPHREY of Crawford County.
    They have 1 boy and 1 girl. Charles Gribben owns 78 acres of land
    located 1 mile east of town on R.R.#5.
     
     
     
     
    WILLIAM HAGEMAN
     
    Was born in Crawford County April 10, 1876, 2 1/2 miles south east
    of New Washington. His father Henry and mother Martha were the
    parents of 6 children, 4 boys and 2 girls, all are living. One in Toledo
    and the rest in this section.
     
    In 1899 he married LAURA COLE to them were born 5 children,
    2 boys and 3 girls. Up until last March he lived south east of
    Shelby, now he is proprietor of the Smith Transfer line in Shelby, and
    has purchased a property on east Whtiney. He employs 3 teams and
    a single rig and keeps them all busy. He is a member of the Eagles.
     

     
    JOHN HAWK
     
    Lives 2 1/2 miles from Shelby on the south Gamble Street road. He was born in
    Pennsylvania April 14, 1849 (?) . His father William and mother Elizabeth were
    the parents of 8 children. 5 of them are living at this time. The family settled
    in this section in 1851 on the farm John Hawk now owns.
     
    In 1870 he was married to Miss SARAH HODY (?) who was born in Mifflin and to
    them has been born a daughter who married L. H. Beam of Mansfield.
     
    Mr. Hawk has 171 acres, a 10 room house and takes pride in keeping his place
    up to the best Ideals. He bought a property in Mansfield some years ago but has since
    deeded it to his daughter.
     
    He has been Township Trustee for 11 years, and was on the school board from 1879 to
    1902 and was once again placed on the board 3 years ago. He was Ditch
    Commissioner for 2 years, is a member of the K of P and Ben Hurr Society.
    He and his wife are members of the Reform Church.
     
     
     
    JACOB HAWK
     
    Was born in Franklin County Pennsylvania September 7 1837. His father William and
    mother Susan came to Ohio in 1851 when Jacob was 15. His father died in 1873
    and his mother died in 1866.
     
    In 1864 he married SARAH WILL, who was born in Richland County. They have
    6 children, all living. One resides in North Dakota.
     
    Jacob Hawk owns 4 farms all south of Shelby. One of 8o acres, one of 185 acres, one
    of 100 and one of 96 acres. Three are operated by his sons and one rented to Frank
    Wiedner. He owns property on south Gamble where he has lived for some time.
     
    He is a stockholder in Shelby Land and Improvement Company and for 19 years
    been on the school board in his old township. Both he and his wife are members
    of the Lutheran Church
     

     
    WILLIS BUSHEY HERSHISER
     
    Was born in Cass Township on April 30, 1860 and currently lives 1-1/2 miles
    east of Shelby. His father came to Ohio from Pennsylvania in 1830 (?).
    Willis Bushey Herhiser was the youngest of 8 children and
    he was educated at Old London School.

    On October 30, 1879 he married MINNIE SHEELY who was born near
    London. They have 2 children, Clare and Katy. Katy lived
    only a few months while Miss Clare is at home.

    Mr. Hershiser own 60 acres of land and is a stockholder in the Peoples
    Telephone Company and for years was School Director in the
    Township from which he moved. He and his wife and daughter
    are members of the Lutheran Church of London.

     
     
    JACOB G. HILL
     
    Erstwhile Editor is now a tiller of the soil. He came to Shelby when
    there were but a few people living in a few straggling houses. He has
    seen almost 40 years of life in Shelby.

    Mr. Hill was born August 13, 1839 in Stark County, Ohio near Strasburg,
    and when he was 2 moved to New Lisbon Ohio, where he resided
    for about 20 years.
     
    At an early age he learned the trade of Printer serving as an apprentice on
    the "Buckeye State" and New Lisbon. Before 1860 he was a partner in the
    "Columbiana Ledger".
     
    At the outbreak of the civil war Mr. Hill responded to the call of the 19th O.V.I.
    This was on the 24th of April 1861. Later he re-enlisted in Company K
    of the 143rd Regt and served till the end of the war.

    Thirty eight years ago he came to Shelby at the request of the Postmaster to establish
    a paper. By the time he arrived a paper had been started by Hinkley Young and
    together they formed a partnership. The paper continued for a year and a half when
    it was disposed of to S. S. Bloom who changed its name from the "Chronicle"
    to the "News". Mr. Hill became a partner of S. S. Bloom for 8 years when he sold
    out an moved to Crestline and worked there. He returned to Shelby and started the
    "Times". This was about 34 years ago and he published the times up until about 4
    years ago when he sold the plant to Crestline parties. He still retains and interest.
    It has been 4 years since he moved to his present place 1-1/2 miles south west
    of town where he has 80 acres.
     
    He was Marshall of Shelby many years ago and is a member of the G.A.R. and I.O.O.F.
    He is the father of 6 boys and 1 girl. One boy is in Cleveland and the daughter is in Chicago.
     
     
    Original Photo 1924
     
     
     
     
    JOHN W. HUMPHREY
     
    Now lives at 16 Second street. He was born January 28, 1836 at New Haven.
    His father, Evan was born in Virginia and for a while drove Stage in Ohio. His
    mother Sarah E. came from New York and was of Yankee descent. There were
    10 children in the family, thee are 2 brothers and 2 sisters living.

    He attended Tiro Seminary and taught school for 6 terms in Vernon Township.
    In the fall of 1858 he married REBECCA TRAUB. They have 3 boys and 6 girls
    and all are living.
     
    His oldest son is in Tiro, the second on a ranch in Montana and the third lives
    on the David Garnhart farm. All of the girls live in Ohio. Mr. Humphrey owns a
    farm 3/4 of a mile west of Hines station, consisting of 98 acres.
     
    He was Justice of the Peace in his township for 24 years having 8 commissions
    issued him. He was President of the school board and he and his wife are
    members of the Church of God.
     
     
     
    LEWIS HINES
     
    is one of the best known characters in Shelby. He was born May 4, 1831 in
    Germany and attended school there until he was 12, coming to this country
    in 1844 with his parents. The family settled in Lancaster Pennsylvania. For a while
    he was a Printer and then a Shoemaker. In 1849 he came to Shelby working for
    a few months before returning to Lancaster Pennsylvania until 1861
    when he came here with his father.

    In 1852 he married MARGARET BLEACHER of Pennsylvania and they have
    5 children. One is dead.

    Mr. Hines was Janitor and Truant Officer of the Shelby Schools for over 15 years
    and only 2 years ago relinquished the position. He also been Humane
    Officer and Sanitary Police and while living in Jackson Township
    was Trustee and served on the School Board.
     
     
     
    GEORGE J. JULIAN
     
    Lives 3 miles south east of Shelby in Jackson Township. He was born in
    New York City, December 28, 1873 and at the age of six went to live with his
    uncle in Marion. He attended school in Marion and Monroeville. From Monroeville
    he came to live in Shelby and from here he went to Cleveland, but
    returned to Jackson Township where he has resided 17
    years. He is employed by day at W. A. Snyder and is a
    member of Mt. Bethel Lutheran Church.
     

     
    VALLEY C. KECK
     
    Lives 1-1/2 miles south of Shelby on R.R.#6. He was born in Perry
    County Pennsylvania, September 3, 1863. His father William and mother
    Elizabeth were both natives of the Keystone State
    and raised a family of 4 children.
     
    In 1885, Valley Keck came to Ohio and worked for Mr. Lantz until 1888 when
    he struck out on his own. In the spring of 1880 he married ETTA SHARICK
    a county native. They have 1 boy and live on an 80 acre farm.

    He and his wife are members of the Reform Church, and
    he is a School Director in his district.
     
     
     
    L. N. KREINBROOK
     
    Lives 4-1/2 miles from Shelby near Hazelbrush school house on R.R.#3. He was
    born in Somerset County Pennsylvania . His father H.W. and
    his mother Hetty are both dead. There were 17 children in the family,
    10 living, all but L. N. Kreinbrook live in Pennsyslvanina. H.W. his
    father, came to America from Germany.

    For 13 years L. N. Kreinbrook was a master coke maker, he ran a distillery for
    2 years and was a clerk in a grocery store and drug store and also ran his
    own store in Pennsylvania.

    For 8 years he has been farming here. He has been married twice, first in 1875 and
    again in 1891. Of the two unions he has had 6 children, two are dead.
    George W. Kuhn: was born in Plymouth Township and has ever since made
    his home within hailing distance of Shelby. About 1 -1/2 miles east
    of town he has one of the best farms.
     
    In 1874 he attended Heidelberg College and remained there for 3 years,
    returning home at the time of his fathers death.
     
    In 1881 he married ELIZABETH BRICKER. They have 3 sons. For many years
    he was President of the Farmers Institute. He is a stockholder in the Citizens Bank
    and a member of the K of P lodge. For 12 years he has been a Republican Committee
    member and for 18 years been on the School Board. He was a Truant Office and
    a member of the Reformed Church.
     
     
     
    J. M. LANDIS
     
    Was born in Shelby in 1837. For 19 years he was a traveling salesman for the
    D.M. Osborne Machinery Company, selling harvesting equipment. For the past 11
    years he has lived in Shelby and up until 2 years ago was in the coal business.
    Mr. Landis was instrumental in having Oak Street put through.

    He is a Mason and a member of the Temple Board. He was on the Sewer
    Commission and Pike Committee o fSharon Township.
     
    At one time he was owner of the Shelby News and was an important part of the
    Shelby Printing and Publishing Company. He is a member of the Church of God.
     
     
     
    HARRY L. LIVENSPARGER
     
    Was born in Dickerson County Kansas, June 20, 1880. He received his
    education in Richland County. His father Isaac was a soldier during the
    civil war and was a member of Company I, 15th Regt. of O.V.I.
    His mother Kathrine J. was Deputy Recorder of Ellis County Kansas
    and now resides in Shelby.

    On September 20th, 1904 he married LILLIAN HARBERSON of Mansfield (?) Ohio.
    They are Members of the Lutheran Church.
     
    Mr. Livensparger has 5 brothers living, Charles a Farmer, Edward, President
    of the Automobile Rubber Tire Company in Cleveland, David a traveling salesman for
    the Steel Works of Cleveland and George and Jack, both working in Cleveland.
     
     
     
    CHARLES MOON
     
    Was born in Seneca County, his father Lewis S. died some years ago
    but his mother Sarah N. is still living.
     
    For 6 months Charles Moon worked at the Shelby Tube, but since
    has secured employment at the Ohio Brass in Mansfield.
     
    Five years ago he married MAY PRESTON who lived 5 miles north
    of Shelby.
     
    He has worked on the William Parkel farm as well as the farm of
    Robert Lipsett. Since then he has purchased his own farm of 30 acres
    in Plymouth Township and there he engages in Truck Farming and in
    the winter months buys and sells large quantities of poultry.

    He and his wife are members of the Methodist Church
    of Shelby, he was treasurer of the Mt. Pleasant Church
    and has been Road Supervisor for many years.
     
     
     
    A. J. MORTON
     
    is among 4 children that were born to Mr. and Mrs. William Morton.
    He was born in Lawrence County Illinois April 8, 1869. When he was 3 his
    parents returned to Crawford County where they remained for some years.
     
    Twelve years ago A. J. entered Richland County and settled on his present place,
    a farm consisting of 157 acres owned by his father. His father William is
    still living, his mother has been dead a number of years.

    It was also 12 years ago Mr. Morton married MINNIE WHITE a resident of
    Richland County. They have 2 children .
     
    He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and Modern Woodmen.
     
     
     
     
    CLARENCE MORTON
     
    Was born at Bloomville, August 31, 1874. Until he was 20 he worked on
    the farm and for four years after was employed by Shelby Tube. He then
    returned to his Father's farm located 3 miles from Shelby on the Shelby - Tiro
    road. His father William and mother Mary have lived in this locality 30 years.

    In 1898 Clarence married MAUD KRITZ of Medina County. They
    have 2 children Ruth and Leonard.
     
    Mr. Morton is a member of Modern Woodmen.
     
     
     
    DAVID C. MORROW
     
     
    Was born in Crawford County July 31, 1858. His father William and
    mother Lucy were both born in Ohio. Mr. Morrow has 5 brothers and
    1 sister, all living, one in Iowa and one in Montana.

    Twenty four years ago he married JENNIE MOORE, a native of Ohio.
    They have 3 boys and 2 girls. One boy and one girl are still at home.

    David Morrow owns a 75 acre farm and has been a constable
    of 4 years and is a member of the Auburn Grange.
     
     
     
    MARTIN MOLDER
     
    Was born 2 miles south of Shelby on December 2, 1860, and has always
    lived here. His father Jacob has been dead for 9 years while his
    mother his still living and in good health.

    Martin was the oldest of 11 children and raised on the family farm.
    He has been on his present place, known as the Jenner farm for 2 years
    farming 107 acres.

    He was married 20 years ago on the first of March to ANNA HECK,
    who was a resident of this county. They have 4 children, 3 living, and are
    members of the Reformed Church.
     
     
     
    ALVA W. MYERS
     
    Was born in Crawford County in 1860 and was one of 5 children.
    He attended Northwestern Ohio University at Ada and for 7 winters
    taught school and then sold books in the summer.
     
    In 1885 he married FLORA C. AMSBAUGH. They have 3 children,
    Mark H., Ruby E., and Anna O., all living.

    Of late Mr. Myers has been specializing in growing fruits and vegetables on the 30 acre
    farm in Jackson Township which he purchased in 1900.
     

     
    J. D. MYERS
     
    Lives 3-1/2 miles south on the trolley line at what is called Myers Station.
    He was born April 24, 1828 to Adam Myers and Elizabeth Howard
    who came to this section in 1828. Mr. Myers' father first came here
    in 1825 traveling on foot as there was no other way of getting here.
    Both of J. D. Myers' parents were born in Pennsylvania.
    Mr. Myers had 6 brothers and sisters, only he survives.

    In 1853 he married ELIZABETH FEIGHNE (?) an old school mate.
    She died 18 years ago. They had 6 children, all but 2 are dead. Mellisa
    married Frank Kuhn, and lives at home with Mr. Myers. William is a
    farmer in Cass Township.

    Mr. Myers has been constable and a Trustee and is a member of the Lutheran
    Church. His children and his children's children have all been educated at the same
    school. School house #6, and 3 generations of the family have lived in the same house.

    Mr. Myers has served as a School Director for 15 continuous years. School #6 has been
    regarded as the best school in the county having turned out more doctors, lawyers and
    preachers than any other.

    For 30 years J.D. Myers has been a Trustee and Treasurer of Mt. Bethel Lutheran
    Church and is regarded as having one of the best farms in the township.

     
     
    THEODORE M. NIMAN
     
    Lives south west of Shelby on R.R.#8 out of Mansfield. He was
    born 1-1/2 miles south of town on November 8, 1850. His father J.W.
    was born in this county near where the reformatory now stands. His
    mother Mary was a New York native and is still living.

    Mr. Niman has 3 brothers and 1 sister. One brother and the sister died
    some years ago. One brother lives in Indiana and one in California.

    In 1874 (?) he married MARTHA CONSTANCE who was born in
    England. They adopted a son who was struck by a train and killed.
     
     
     
    FRANK PRESTON
     
    Lives 5 miles north of Shelby on R.R.#4. He was born 3/4 of a mile
    west of his present place on January 24, 1868 to John and Melissa Preston.
    They were the parents of five boys and one girl, all are living in Richland County.
    Both parents are deceased.

    Mr. Preston has 160 acres of land. Is a member of the Farmers Institute at
    Hazel Grove School house, was road supervisor and attends Shelby Methodist church.
     
     
    Original Photo 1924
     
     
    L. M. PRICE
     
    Lives 3 1/2 miles from Shelby on R.R.#3. He was born in Richland
    County November 2, 1861 on the Dan Rogers place.
     
    His father I. M. Price and mother Elizabeth were county residents, the father
    was born in Pennsylvania the mother in Crawford County. They were the parents
    of 4 children.

    L. M. Price was married 9 years ago to CASSIE SCHULL who was born in Crawford
    County. The couple has no children.
     
    L. M. Price has 80 acres of land and both are members of the Brethren Church.
     
     
     
    WILLIAM. H. ROUSH
     
    Was born in Jackson Township January 12, 1848. His father Samuel
    and mother Margaret came from Pennsylvania 75 years ago. They
    were the parents of 12 children, nine are now living, one in Chicago and 2 in
    Williams County. Both parents are gone.

    In 1870, he married SARAH HERSHISER who was born in this county.
    They have one child a girl.

    Mr. Roush owns 40 acres of land on R.R.#5 just outside of the corporation.
    He has been trustee for 2 terms and assessor for one term.
    Both are members of the Lutheran Church.
     
     
     
    JOHN SHADE
     
    Lives 2-1/2 miles south of Shelby on R.R.#6 and has lived at this place
    for the past 25 years.
     
    He was born in Columbiana County, Pennsylvania October 7, 1851,
    to Jacob and Mary Ann Shade, coming to this state in 1865. They were the
    parents of 8 children, 6 survive.

    Mr. Shade was a carpenter for 4 years and a thresher and has been a
    constable in Jackson Township for 17 years.
     
    He has 173 acres of F.N. Kendall's property under cultivation.
    He was married 33 years ago to MISS HOWARD HINES, who is
    a native of Richland County.
     
    They have 3 children, 2 married and 1 daughter employed in Mansfield.
    They are members of the Lutheran Church.

     
     
    WILLIAM A. SHELDON
     
    Lives in what is known as "Old Dekalb" 6 miles west of Shelby on the
    Tiro R.F.D.

    He was born in Leesville 24 years ago and was practically raised in Tiro.
    He is a singleman and makes his home with his Grandfather.
     
     
     
    A. L. SHETLER
     
    Was born south of the city. His father J. W. Shetler died a year ago October while his
    mother Rebecca Shetler is still living. It is with his mother that he makes his home.

    His parents moved to this vicinity 22 years ago. Until a few weeks ago
    Mrs. Shetler owned 101 acres south of town but has sold the land.
    Both A. L. Shetler and his mother are members of the U. B. Church.
     
     
     
    WM. A. SHIELDS
     
    Was born in Perry County Pennsylvania on December 18, 1847 and resided in his
    native state until recent years. At 15 years of age he joined the 7th Pennsylvania Calvary.
    He went into service on January of 1864 and was mustered out in September of 1865.
    Serving under Kilpatric and then General Wilson under whom he fought at the
    battle of Selmi.

    He came home in 1870 and married EMMA SMITH. For 7 winters he taught school
    and in the summer was a bricklayer. He was also a Justice of the Peace in
    Orbizonia, where he was a furniture maker and Undertaker.
    Later he moved to German Town Pennsylvania where he was
    justice of the peace for 5 years.

    In 1895 he came to Shelby and settled on Gamble Street. He then bought his
    present place of 20 acres 1-1/4 miles from town on R.R.#4. where he engages in
    Truck Gardening.

    He is the father of 10 children, all living, 3 girls and 1 boy are married,
    2 sons fought during the Phillipine war, one of them was wounded.

    He is a member of the G.A.R. and has been School Director in his district.
    Both he and his wife are members of the Reformed Church.

     
     
    CYRUS H. SHOUP
     
    Lives 3 miles from Shelby on R.R.#4. He was born in Williamson, Franklin County,
    Pennsylvania, September 4, 1841 to John and Hanna Shoup who were parents
    to 10 children, all but three are passed on.
     
    His father was born in Pennsylvania while his mother was born in Baltimore.
    They migrated to Ohio in 1845. John Shoup first came to Ohio in 1835, remaining
    here just 3 years before returning to Pennsylvania only to return again later.
     
    John and Hanna were married in 1837, both are now deceased.
    Cyrus Shoup was educated in the district schools and taught school for 21 terms,
    all in this county but one, he taught one term in Crawford County.

    In May of 1862 he enlisted in Company H, 84th O.V.I and was discharged in
    September of the same year. On May 2nd 1864 he re-enlisted in company H, 163rd
    O.V.I. and was discharged from service the following September.

    In 1871 he married WANNA(?) J. BUSHEY, they have 2 boys and 2 girls, all the
    children are living. Mr. Shoup has 2 farms consisting of 167 acres and has been
    a resident for 62 years. He is a member of the G.A.R., has served 5 terms as an
    assessor, has been School Director and both he and his wife are
    members of the Reformed Church.
     
     
     
    JOSEPH W. SMITH
     
    Lives in town but owns a farm. He has lived here since 1876 coming here from
    Pennsylvania. His father Michael and mother Eustina were parents of 8 children,
    6 boys and 2 girls. One boy and a girl are deceased. Three of them are living
    in Shelby and 2 are living in Pennsylvania.
     
    In 1885 he married LOTTIE MAY, and they have a married daughter and a
    son in school.
     
    Mr. Smith is a Plaster and has worked throughout the city and country. Within
    recent years he has bought a 50 acre farm and owns a property in town.
     
    He is a member of the Maccabees, Woodmen and served as a constable for 2
    terms, at present he is a member of the Board of Health.
     
     
     
    SAMUEL F. STINE
     
    Lives 2-1/2 miles northwest of the city on R.R.#4. He was born in Cass Township in
    1869 and always lived in Richland County.

    His father Henry and mother Amanda were parents to 8 children, six reside in this
    county, 2 are deceased. Both of his parents came from Pennsylvania
    and resided here until their deaths.

    Mr. Stine married SADIE SHEELY, 12 years ago. She was reared and educated in
    Richland County. They have 5 children, all living.
     
    Mr. Stine owns 160 acres and is a member of the K of P Lodge.
     
     
     
    SAMUEL STROUP
     
    Lives on the Dempsey farm just on the edge of town or R.R.#4 and for the past 19
    years cared for the property. He was born in Perry County Pennsylvania in
    1862(?) and came to this state November 25, 1880. He has 4 brothers
    and 1 sister living in this county.
     
    He has charge of 600 acres and a specialty in raising trotting horses.
    Within recent years Mr. Stine has bought the old Hershiser farm of 127 acres
    and greatly improved it.

    Twenty one years ago he married EMMA STINE, they have 1 girl and 2 boys.

    He is a member of the KofP, Modern Woodmen and Ben Hur Society.
     
     
     
     
    D. T. TRAXLER
     
    Lives in " old Dekalb" and was born in Wyandot County, February 17, 1841. His
    father and mother came from Pennsylvania to Ohio at a very early age.

    At the outbreak of the war of the Rebellion he enlisted in the 46th Ohio and
    mustered out on 1865 after serving 18 months.

    In 1864 he married SARA GIPE, they have 9 children all of whom are living in
    Richland County.
     
     
     
     
    JAMES WAREHAM
     
    Lives 1 mile from Shelby on R.R.#1. He was born in Seneca County in 1847 and
    moved to this county at the age of 14 with his parents.

    His father William and mother Sarah were settlers in Seneca County. James
    had only 1 brother and he died as an infant and a sister who died about
    10 years ago.

    In 1873 he married ELIZABETH DRAKE, they have 4 children, all grown.

    James Wareham owns one sixty acre farm where he lives and another farm
    of 80 acres one mile east of it.

    Both are being worked by his sons. Mr. Wareham lost his wife 1 year ago.
    He is a member of the Union Grange.
     
     
     
    ADAM H. WEISER
     
    Resides on 160 acres 4 miles from Shelby n R.R.#1, in Cass Township. He was born
    June 11, 1852 to Adam and Susan Weiser both are now dead. He had
    11 siblings, 5 survive.

    In 1874 he married BARBARA LYBARGER, a native of Richland County.
    They have 3 children, 2 survive. Mr. Weiser was a member of the School Board in
    his district for 6 years, is a member of the I.O.O.F, and he and his wife are
    members of the Reformed Church.

    Mr. Weiser's father came to this state in 1834 locating in London, south of
    Iron Springs, and erected the first log cabin in that area.
     
     
     
    LEVI WENTZ
     
    Was born in Cass township September 8, 1845. His father Henry and
    mother Elizabeth came from Perry County, Pennsylvania, settling in Cass
    Township in 1834. They were sturdy pioneers and blazed the way for others.
    Of the thirteen children born to his parents, only Mr. Wentz, 2 brothers and
    2 sisters survive.

    A carpenter by trade, Mr. Wentz married DIANA MILLER, who lived in London.
    They have 6 children, five are living. The oldest, Samuel H died some years ago.
    He had studied Medicine and attended O.M.U. One daughter married F. Bushey of
    Shelby and one son a carpenter lives on Oak street. Clayton V., and
    Nellie H., are both at home as well as James who is also a carpenter.

    Mr. Wentz has 160 acres of land 3 miles from Shelby on R.R.#1. He is a stockholder
    of Shelby Telephone Company and a member of Ben Hur, and both he
    and his wife belong to the Lutheran Church.

     
    FRANK WEIDNER
     
    Resides 4 miles south east of Shelby on R.R.#6. He was born 4 miles south of Shelby
    on April 5, 1873 to Henry and Sarah Jane Weidner. They were the parents of 8 children
    all now living within Richland County but one. The mother is dead but the
    father is still living on the old homestead.

    In 1898 he married MISS LOWELL KEISTER, who was born in Ashland County.
    They have one child.

    Mr. Weidner rents 80 acres of land from Jacob Hawk. At one time he
    worked for the Shelby Bicycle Company.
     
     
     
     
    GEORGE B. WILL
     
    He was born within 3-1/2 miles of Shelby on March 9, 1876 to Peter and
    Matilda Will. He was one of 6 children, one brother Sherman as well as
    the mother are dead.

    At 18 George Will worked for Shelby Steel Tube and later worked 2 years in the bicycle
    factory. Next he went to Fostoria and engaged in the coal business.
     
    After which he returned to Shelby and bought the 134 acre William Roush farm on
    R.R.#5 in Jackson Township where Mr. Will now resides.
     
    In October or 1897 he married ANNA MICHENER. They have 2 children.

    He is a member of the Macabees and both are members of the Lutheran Church.
     
     
     
    If you have any additions or comments on this page, please contact us.
     
    Copyright © 2000, - 2008 Richland County - Shelby Chapter of The Ohio Genealogy Society, Shelby, Ohio