Search billions of records on

Where Was High Street ?
If you haven't been confused lately, here's your chance!
(The maps used for examples for this discussion are
just a part of those available in the Maps section.)
Shelby 1852 Addition Plat
(First map - related mention of High Street)
This shows High Street being east of the Broadway intersection.
Shelby in 1856
No mention of High Street. Main Street extends
eastward from the Broadway intersection.
Shelby in 1873
High Street is here again shown as an eastern
extension of Main Street.High
(But notice that East Main St. is on the West Side of town.)
Confused Yet?
This latter glitch was obviously a mistake, but the
matter of the location of High Street can't be
attributed to a one time mistake .
The advertisements that are shown on the previous
Shelby's Early Merchants page give some more
confusing clues.
In the first ad, the location is given as:
High Street - Opposite Wilson's Hall.
Only if Wilson's Hall location can be determined
will this be of any use, but The "Saiger's Hotel" ad:
"Corner of High and Broadway" is pretty definite.
So is the next "Mickey House" ad:
"Corner of High and Gamble".
This surely suggests that High Street extended
as far west as Gamble Street.
The E. Stevenson Barber & Hairdresser ad:
"High Street 1st door below Wilson's Store"
still requires knowledge of the location of
Wilson's Store.
Coltman's Hall is another location problem. It
could have been in the Saiger's (or Leyman) Hotel
at the southwest corner of the east side square.
The next ad for Mrs. M. Madden's Photo Shop
indicates it is located on High St. She at one
time had a shop in the area where the Brickley
Hotel is now located. However, the shop locations
of many of these business people changed rapidly.
Some have said "whenever their rent was due."
The Hood and Swartz Ad:
"One door north of Mickey House on Gamble St."
confirms the location of Mickey House being at
the Gamble Street location.
Much further down the list is the ad of
Wm. Cummings & Anderson:
"Dry Goods
High and Gamble"
This also confirms High extending to Gamble.
Then there is Samuel Sutter's ad:
"Cabinet Furniture
High Street (near the bridge)"
Of the total advertisements chosen to represent
a cross section of those run during 1862, 16
of them made reference to High Street, while
only 1 to Main Street. This coupled with the
fact that High Street was, on many occasions,
used as a description of locations from Gamble
to Broadway, it would seem that during this
period of time, High Street must have largely
replaced the name of Main Street.
Just as strangely, by the time the 1873 atlas
was printed, High Street was shown extending
east of Broadway, but in the accompanying
pictures of some of the buildings in Shelby,
Main Street was used in their description and
the name High Street was never used.
In addition, a copy of an 1859 issue of the Shelby
Pioneer Newspaper yields ads in which Main
Street is used at least 10 times to describe business
locations and the name High Street is never
So it seems that the High Street phenomenon
began in the early 1860s and in 10 years had
largely died out. When in fashion it probably
was used along the entire length of Main Street.
For comments or additions to this section,
please contact us.

Copyright © 2000 - 2004 Richland County - Shelby Chapter of The Ohio Genealogy Society