The Richland County – Shelby Chapter
Of The Ohio Genealogical Society

 
- - - FINNEGAN SCHOOL - - -
Sharon Twp., Richland Co., School District # 6
 
 
 
(Courtesy of Mrs Paul Gosser)
 
Finnegan School
(Built 1881-1882, closed in 1917, and recycled in 1972)
 
 
School Location and Early Neighboring Landowners
 
 
1873
Map
<------
 
 
 
 
1896
Map
------>
Location: East of Finnegan Road, and North of the Intersection with Kemp Road - (gone).
 
Finnegan School History
 
The northwest corner of the Northwest Quarter of Section 36 in Sharon Twp., is
the location chosen for the District #6 school house. This property was originally
sold by the goverment to Samuel Strohm (from Wayne Co., Ohio) in 1832.
 
By 1859, the school lot property was owned by George Koch (Cook) Sr. who had
arrived from the area of Heidelberg, Germany in 1838. In 1877, George and
Elizabeth Schumann / Koch formally sold a portion of their land that contained
the school lot and school house to the Sharon Twp. Board of Education. Possibly
for that reason and the fact that they had owned the land the school was on
for about 40 years, the school in this district was referred to as the
Cook's School in 1877.
 
F. Brucker & Sons began construction of a new brick Finnegan schoolhouse in
the summer of 1881 and completed it by March of 1882 at a the cost of $1459.00.
Charles Kaler removed the old frame Finnegan schoolhouse to a new location.
A new schoolhouse bell, costing $9.00, was supplied by John W. Wirtz.
Hershiser and May built the school water box for $1.00. Bricks for the school
well were supplied by Tucker Bros. for $7.00. (The bricks from the Finnegan
Schoolhouse were used again in 1972 for the construction of a home that is
located on the former site of the school.)
 

 
 
The Finnegan School was eventually named for the family of John Finnegan
/Fionnagan, who owned the property immediately to the north of where the
schools (log, frame and later brick) were built.
 
John Finnegan was born in County Monaghan, Ireland in 1823. His parents,
probably Thomas (born ca. 1788) and Mary (born ca. 1790) Finnegan, came to
this country in ca. 1839.
 
John married Ellen Brannon / Brennen sometime prior to 1850, probably in
Richland County, Ohio. The Brannon Family is also among the early settlers in
this part of Sharon Township. John and Ellen were the parents of at least 8 and
possibly 9 children:
 
Mary Ann?, John Jr., Richard, James, Mary E., Thomas, Margaret A., Matilda B.,
and William B.
 
Through the years, many members of the Finnegan Family were involved with the
District # 6 school. John Finnegan was elected to be one of the School District # 6
local directors during much of the period of 1860 - 1870. He also provided fuel
and maintanence for those early (probable log) school buildings.
 
His descendants followed his example. Sons Richard and Thomas continued to
provide schoolhouse fuel and maintanence for many years prior to, and after, the
building of the brick school house in 1881 - 1882.
 
John's grand-daughters (Richard's oldest daughters), Estella and Rena were
teachers during the late 1890s and early 1900s, in the Finnegan School District.
 
To complete the picture, in 1929, Howard Finnegan bought the schoolhouse and
lot from the Sharon Twp. Board of Education after it had been decided that due to
consolidation the Finnegan School would no longer be needed. In 1972, some of the
Finnegan Schoolhouse bricks were used to construct a home for the Finnegan family.
 

Finnegan School Class - 1908
 
Photo - courtesy of Mrs Paul Gosser
(Click for a larger view)
 

Class Members:
Standing - extreme back (left to right):
Unknown, Henry Kurtzman, Unknown, Rena Finnegan - teacher, Steve Fry,
Steve Heiland, Steve Keller
 
Front - standing and seated (left to right):
Reuben Glauer, Sevilla Fike, Earl Fike, Elmer Glauer, Riblet Glauer, Maggie Gearheart
 

Finnegan School Class - 1910
 
Photo - courtesy of Mrs Paul Gosser
(Click for a larger view)
 

Class Members:
Standing - extreme back (left to right):
Howard Finnegan, Steve Fry, Henry Kurtzman, Steve Keller, Ed Brown
 
3rd row (left to right):
Maggie Gearheart, Stella Finnegan - teacher, Unknown
 
2nd row (left to right):
Elynor Glauer, Sevilla Fike, Mary Gearheart, Alice Finnegan, Steve Heiland
 
1st row (left to right):
Riblet Glauer, Rosella Hook, Margaret Cronenwitt, Alvena Hook, Albert Trick,
Vic Horning (behind Albert)
 
 
1910 Finnegan School Class Souvenior
Class Souvenir - courtesy of Mrs Paul Gosser
 
 
 
Finnegan School Teachers
 
   

 1853 - 1854

 .

 1854 - 1855

 Clara C. Calister

 1855 - 1856

.

 1856 - 1857

 Robert Cowden

 1857 - 1858

 John Brandt

 1858 - 1859

 William Brown

 1859 - 1860

 David Kerr

 1860 - 1861

 Robert Conder / Amy J. Buckingham

 1861 - 1862

 Amy J. Buckingham - d/o Christopher & Nancy

 1862 - 1863

 Rebecca Will - d/o Valentine & Elizabeth

 1863 - 1864

 John Brandt

 1864 - 1865

 Martha P. Woods / A. M. Wherey

 1865 - 1866
 

 1866 - 1867
 
   
   
   

1876 - 1877

Miss Susie Crall - d/o David & Mary 

1877 - 1878

.

1878 - 1879

 Philip J. Menges

1879 - 1880

Frances L. Cole / Susan M. Carroll 

1880 - 1881

 Susan M. Carroll / Alvah Myers

1881 - 1882

Elmer A. Williams 

1882 - 1883

John L. Lee

1883 - 1884

Philander B. Rogers

1884 - 1885

 Susan M. Carroll

1885 - 1886

Frank A. Williams

1886 - 1887

 Frances L. Cole

1887 - 1888

 Frances L. Cole

1888 - 1889

John W. Cook / Ella W. Bowman

1889 - 1890

John W. Cook / Ella Bowman

1890 - 1891

Clara V. Cattey / Ella Bowman

1891 - 1892

Ella M. Bowman / Nora Esterline

1892 - 1893

Nora Esterline / Charlotte Gundrum

1893 - 1894

 Lottie Gundrum / Frances L. Cole

1894 - 1895

 Frances L. Cole / Clara Cattey

1895 - 1896

 Ida Hutchinson

1896 - 1897

 Lottie Gundrum

1897 - 1898

 George Coble / M. J. Strough /Bennett Cattey

1898 - 1899

 Bennett Cattey / M. J. Strough

1899 - 1900

Charles W. Smith / M. J. Strough / Rena Finnegan

1900 - 1901

Charles W. Smith / Rena Finnegan

1901 - 1902

 Rena Finnegan - d/o Richard & Sarah

1902 - 1903

 Rena Finnegan

1903 - 1904

Stella Finnegan - d/o Richard & Sarah

1904 - 1905

Stella Finnegan

1905 - 1906

Mamie Rogers d/o - Andrew J. & Mary

1906 - 1907

Rena Finnegan

1907 - 1908

Rena Finnegan

1908 - 1909

Rena Finnegan

1909 - 1910

Stella Finnegan

1910 - 1911

Stella Finnegan

1911 - 1912

Stella Finnegan

1912 - 1913

Alma Riddle

1913 - 1914

Oliva Stine - d/o Joseph

1914 - 1915

Oliva Stine *

1915 - 1916

Oliva Stine & Alice Stephens (Music) * *

1916 - 1917

Oliva Stine * * *
 
* In August of 1914, the six Sharon Township Schools were consolidated. Finnegan
School received the students from the suspended Vernon and Will Schools.
 
* * A route was established to transport pupils to and from Finnegan School.
 
* * * After the 1916-1917 school year, Finnegan School was suspended indefinitely and
it's students were sent to the reopened Will School.
 
 
School pictures and identification - courtesy of Mrs. Paul Gosser.
If you have questions for Mrs. Gosser, please email them to us below.
 
Do you have a picture of the Finnegan school house? If you have additional information
that you would like to add to this page, or if you can identify any of the unknowns in
the photos or add to the list of teachers, we would like to hear from you.
Please email us !!

Copyright © 2000-2004 Richland County - Shelby Chapter of The Ohio Genealogy Society