The Richland County
Of The Ohio Genealogical Society
- - -
- - -
Jackson Twp., Richland Co., School District # 5
Hartman School - 1942
School Location and Early Neighboring Farms.
Location: West Side of Rock Road, North of the Stein Road Intersection.
The original school in this school district may have been built in the early 1820s,
when it would have been a part Sharon Twp. The 1873 map (above) shows the location
of the farm belonging to John L. Hartman who came to this area in about 1830.
The last Hartman School was built in 1898, about the time the second atlas (above)
was compiled. By this time the Hartman family had purchased additional acreage in this
immediate area. This last Hartman school was in operation until the late 1930s.
A School Becomes a Home.
In 1941, a few years after the Hartman School was closed, and after it had been
bought and sold several times, the school became the property of John and
Laura / Landers DeWalt.
John's father, Samuel Jeremiah DeWalt came to Ohio from Cumberland County, Pennsylvania in 1898, the same year that the Hartman schoolhouse was being built.
The earliest known DeWalt ancestors were John and Mary DeWalt, who
appear on the records of the Ziegler's Church in Cumberland Co., Pennsylvania
with their son Tobias, who was born April 26, 1799. Tobias DeWalt married
Isabella Kennedy about 1820. They were the parents of at least nine children
of which Jeremiah DeWalt (born May 24, 1824) was the fourth.
Jeremiah DeWalt was born in Perry Co., Pennsylvania and married Rebecca Barrick
(born 1827). They were the parents of four children. Their son William A. DeWalt was
born October 9, 1844 in Perry County, Pennsylvana. He enlsted in the Civil War
in Co. H. 202nd Regt. PA. Inf. After the war, William married Elizabeth Gotchall (born 1842- Perry County), and they became the parents of nine girls and three boys. The
three boys (Samuel, Albert, and George) all came to Ohio. Samuel was John's father.
John DeWalt attended Hartman School, and after finishing his primary grades there,
he entered Shelby City Schools, traveling daily to the interurban stop near Toledo
Junction, riding to Shelby and then returning at the end of the school day.
In 1932, John and Laura Landers were married, and in 1941 they had the
opportunity to purchase the Hartman School house where John had attended.
photo ca. 1944
They began planning how they would like to change their school house into their
home. These photos depict the evolution of the Hartman School (above - top) to the
Laura Landers / DeWalt has kindly allowed the use of the above photos, and has
supplied much information on the DeWalt Family history.
photo Fall 2000
If you have additional information that you would like to add to this page, we
would be happy to hear from you. Please email us!!
Copyright © 2000 Richland County - Shelby Chapter of The Ohio Genealogy Society