US 52 east to SR 522
exit (Wheelersburg). Turn right at stop sign and go over railroad
tracks to Hayport Road. Travel .05 mile to Burke's Lane, bear left
and travel .02 mile to the cemetery. It is directly in front of
a horse pasture that is surrounded by a black fence on the right
side of the road.
GPS Coordinates -
The cemetery is in fair
condition and moderately easy to access.
Click on a picture below
Pictures taken by Joyce
A. Sparks, April 23, 2003.
The following history of the cemetery was submitted by Joyce A.
Mr. & Mrs. Bob Swick purchased the property approximately
12 years ago from Bihl's Farm. The deed listed an "unrecorded
cemetery" located on the property. Mr. Swick cleared the property,
located the cemetery and called Porter Township Trustee McFarland
to have the cemetery recorded in the township records. Porter Township
maintains the cemetery, but recent ice storms caused tree limbs
to fall on and break the very old stones. A couple of the stones
are in very good shape, just lying flat on the ground.
Burke's Lane has been raised a total of sixty feet,
the last ten feet added in 2002, since Mr. Swick purchased the property.
He states there are approximately a dozen stones that he had seen
when he cleared the property that are no longer visible. They have
either been removed or are buried in the soft earth. The cemetery
used to be on a knoll sitting above Burke's Lane and now it is slightly
lower thatn Burke's Lane. There are very large trees in the cemetery
and the overall size is approximately 85 feet long and 25 feet wide.
This is an old cemetery with very few stones. The
oldest burial is July 1834 and the most recent is July 1855. Mr.
Swick states that he saw a stone inscribed McDonald and I couldn't
find it, so it must be one of the missing stones. The stones are
beautifully hand carved, with visible chisel marks on the ones that
are ornately shaped on their top.