The Summit County
OHGenWeb Project

History & Genealogy

USGenWeb logo Ohio logo

"A" Cities of Summit County

Post Office, Akron, Ohio

AKRON: (Also see Middlebury; Akron was known as Middlebury in its early years)

Located 35 miles southeast of Cleveland. Long known as the Rubber Capital of the World. This is largely due to the business efforts of the Seiberling Family. Town laid out in September, 1825. Actually formed by three separate towns, Middlebury, Akron, and East Akron. Akron is from the Greek Akros meaning "high". Served by the Ohio and Erie Canal in 1827,  and by the Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal in 1840. The town was founded by General Simon Perkins (b. CT 17 Sept 1771). Perkins was hired to explore the lands of the Western Reserve. In 1780 he lived in Warren, Ohio. He was an extensive landowner. He founded Akron because of the canal and the chance it would give for development. Perkins never resided in Akron. His son, Col. Simon Perkins was left with the responsibility for the development of Akron.

Akron Artifacts:

  • William CHRISTY builder of the first long distance electric lines (from Akron to Cleveland) was born here.

  • The first physician is thought to be Dr. Titus CHAPMAN.

  • First cabin in Akron was built by Major Minor Spicer in 1811. His cousin Paul Williams was the first settler in the original town site of Akron.

  • Lewis Miller, father-in-law of Thomas Edison resided in this area.

  • Dr. Eliakim Crosby (1779-1854) sponsored the "Cascade Mill Race."

  • The home of the abolitionist John Brown (1800-1859) still stands in Akron today. It is believed to have been built around 1825. It celebrates the 1844-46 residency of the famed abolitionist who was associated with Colonel Simon Perkins in the sheep and wool business prior to his memorable raid on Harper's Ferry.

  • , Akron, Ohio
  • Hower House is 28-room Victorian mansion built by industrialist John Henry Hower in 1870. Located near the University of Akron.

  • Hale House - 1828 brick farmhouse, now serves as a working historic farm. Buildings are restored to date of contruction and furnished with artifacts

    .
  • A 36-foot high Indian monument hand-chiseled in solid oak of an Indian named Unk was erected on Portage Path, which was part of the effective western boundary of the White and Native American lands from 1785 to 1805.


Summit County OHGenWeb Page
Established November 20, 1996


Copyright Notice: All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Mary Ann Hetrick and/or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissable to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.

Copyright © 1998-2013, Mary Ann Hetrick & the Summit County OHGenWeb.
Outter Background Copyrighted © 2006 by: EOS Developers.com
Released for free under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License

Menu © 2007 stu nicholls - cssplay.co.uk