"B" Cities & Towns of Summit County
Founded in 1890 by Mr. O.C. BARBER. Historical location: Belt Junction.
Located in Wadsworth.
Settled 1810. Originally part of Medina County. Streams: Yellow Creek. Villages that once existed in Bath were Hammond's Corners, Ghent & Ellis' Corners. Located in West Richfield. Includes Bath Center and Bath Pond.
BATH TOWNSHIP MARKER INSCRIPTIONS
"Smith Road. Established in 1809 by General Martin SMITH. Recut in 1812 under the command of Major General WADSWORTH while encamped with 1500 men at Old Portage. Supplies and munitions were transported over this road for the use of troops in Western Ohio. Colonel George CROGHAR marched over this road tothe defense of Fort Stephenson in 1813. Erected May 14, 1935 by The National Society United States Daughters of 1812 in Ohio. Tablet presented in memory of Bessie Vorie SAWYER, State President 1929-31 by her husband Willing T. SAWYER." (Marker Located at Medina Rd (route 18) and Smith Rd at the entrance of Rose Hill Cemetary.)
"Major George CROGHAR with his army encamped on this farm enroute to the defense of Fort Stephenson, now Freemont, Ohio in 1813. Presented to the Ohio Society U.S. Daughters of 1812, by Mrs. John Francis WEINMANN, PresidentNational 1934-1937." (Marker Located on Ghent Rd, intersection Smith Rd.)
Named for Hinsdale BATES. Located in Akron.
Settled March 1806 by Alfred WOLCOTT, John TEAL, & Samuel EWART. Organized in 1811. Originally part of Portage County. The name of the town was proposed by Mr. James STANFORD.
Samuel J. RITCHIE was born here. He founded the nickel industry in Canada.
The first crop of wheat was raised in 1807 by Henry POST.
The first male child born in the township was Andrew J. STANFORD, March 27, 1806.
The first female child born was Melinda WOLCOTT, April 14, 1807.
The first death was that of Mary Ann POST, June 9, 1808.
The first wedding was that of William CARTER & Elizabeth MAYS, July 29, 1812.
The oldest orchard in Summit County was in Boston Township. It was planted by the French or the Indians.
The first house here was built by Waltrus MATHER in 1820.
The first physician was Eleazer MATHER (1822).
Historical place located in Twinsburg.
Located in Peninsula.
Located in East Akron.
Located in West Richfield.
Summit County OHGenWeb Page
Established November 20, 1996
Copyright Notice: All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Mary Ann Hetrick and/or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissable to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.
Menu © 2007 stu nicholls - cssplay.co.uk