COPLEY Township came to us from Medina County when our county was created in 1840. It is well watered by Pigeon Creek, Wolf Creek and Chocolog Creek, besides having within its confines AMiite Pond, Black Pond and Chocolog Pond. Formerly a great swamp called Copley Swamp occupied a large part of it, but by judicious draining it has been reduced to an insignificant area.
Copley was first settled in 1814 by Jonah Turner, who came from Pennsylvania. Six additional families arrived during the next five years. It was set apart as a township of Medina County in 1819, and was named Greenfield at first by Garner Green, who originally owned a large part of ite territory. He afterwards changed the name to Copley, the maiden name of his wife.1
Copley is offically designated in the original survey as Town 2, Range XII, of the Western Reserve, is bound on the norht by Bath, and on the east by Portage, on the south by Norton, and on the west by Sharon in Medina county, and was orginally a part of Wolf Creek township consisting of what is now Copley, Norton, and Wadsworth, Sharon, Guliford and Montville
it was originally called Greenfileds, but afterwords changed to Copley in honor of Mrs. Green, said to have been a lineal decendant of Lord Copley, of England.
- CENTENNIAL HISTORY OF SUMMIT COUNTY, OHIO AND REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS
EDITED AND COMPILED BY: WILLIAM B. DOYLE,
PUBLISHED BY: BIOGRAPHICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
CHICAGO, ILL. 1908, pp 102-103
Summit County OHGenWeb Page
Established November 20, 1996
Copyright Notice: All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Mary Ann Hetrick and/or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissable to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.
Menu © 2007 stu nicholls - cssplay.co.uk