Coventry Township lies to the north of Franklin and Green and just outside of the City of Akron. It is also the southern line of the Western Reserve.
The finst white settler of the township was Daniel Haines, who came from Pennsylvania about the year 1806. After him, in 1811, came the Allens, from New York State, forebears of the Allens, who live there today.
The township organization occurred in 1808. and at that time Coventry was a part of Springfield and they were a part of Portage County, till the organization of Summit in 1840.1
Coventry Described as Town 1, Range XI, of the Western Reserve, was one of the equalizing townships of the first drift. Its boundreies are: on the north, Portage and Akron; on the east Springfield; on the south, Green and Franklin; and on the west, Norton Township.
Hopocan, or Captin Pipe, a Deleware Chief, had his village near New Portage. The history of coventry begins in 1795, Hopocan signing the treaty at Ft. McIntosh as King of New Portage, and moving west of the river until the Ft. Industry treaty of 1805.
- CENTENNIAL HISTORY OF SUMMIT COUNTY, OHIO AND REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS
EDITED AND COMPILED BY: WILLIAM B. DOYLE,
PUBLISHED BY: BIOGRAPHICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
CHICAGO, ILL. 1908, p. 103
Summit County OHGenWeb Page
Established November 20, 1996
Copyright Notice: All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Mary Ann Hetrick and/or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissable to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.
Menu © 2007 stu nicholls - cssplay.co.uk