Much of the early history of Cuyahoga Falls is giving in that portion relating to Stow, Tallmadge, Northampton, and Portage, its territory being embraced in the orginal limits of those townships.
It was first called Manchester, but there were several other Manchesters in the State, and to allow postal accomidations the name was changed to Cuyahoga Falls. The villiage proper was laied out in 1826 by Judge Richardson.
The Town of Cuyahoga Falls was incorparated March 5, 1836, and took in 240 square rods of Stow and Tallmadge with power to add to the limits at any time, with out firther legistation.
April 4, 1837, the first election was held and in March 1851, the township of Cuyahoga Falls was created out of the village limits in Stow, Tallmadge, Northampton and Portage, holding the first township election April 7, 1851.
The Villiage remained under township jurisdition until June 3, 1868, when it again became a town.
for a year (1841) Cuyahoga Falls was the county seat, but Akron finally got it by a majority of 1,469 over all on a total vote of 4, 487.
- CENTENNIAL HISTORY OF SUMMIT COUNTY, OHIO AND REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS
EDITED AND COMPILED BY: WILLIAM B. DOYLE,
PUBLISHED BY: BIOGRAPHICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
CHICAGO, ILL. 1908, pp 102-103
Summit County OHGenWeb Page
Established November 20, 1996
Copyright Notice: All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Mary Ann Hetrick and/or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissable to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.
Menu © 2007 stu nicholls - cssplay.co.uk