The Summit County
OHGenWeb Project

History & Genealogy

USGenWeb logo Ohio logo

Franklin Township


 

Green and Franklin are the southern townships of the county, and originally were part of Stark County, being inhabited by the descendants of the Germans of Pennsylvania, or, as they are familiarly called, "Pennsylvania Dutch."1

 

Franklin is designated on the records as Township 2, Range 10, and though somewhat broken in portions by hills, rivers, creeks, lakes and marshes, is one of the best farming townships in the county, besides being largely underlaid by beds of the most excellent quality of bituminous coal. This township, and its eastern neighbor, Green, are each nearly six miles square, while it will be remembered that the townships of the Reserve are uniformly five miles square, only. Hence, there is a breaking of joints in the north and south lines between the two townships originally connected with Stark county, and their neighbors upon the north, Franklin abutting on both Norton and Coventry, with Green upon the east, Lawrence, Stark county, upon the south, and Chippewa, Wayne county, upon the west.

Franklin Township's land has been in the following counties:

Year County
1811 Stark
1840 Summit

Cemeteries in Franklin Township


Summit County OHGenWeb Page
Established November 20, 1996


Copyright Notice: All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Mary Ann Hetrick and/or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissable to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.

Copyright © 1998-2013, Mary Ann Hetrick & the Summit County OHGenWeb.
Outter Background Copyrighted © 2006 by: EOS Developers.com
Released for free under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License

Menu © 2007 stu nicholls - cssplay.co.uk