In 1874, the County Commissioners
authorized building this fifth and present courthouse. Total cost of
the building was $110,174. The pressed brick was made at a mill located
about where the fairgrounds are today.
The clock was made by the Boston Clock Co. The bell weighs 2000 pounds
and the striking clapper 430 pounds. The pendulum is eight feet long.
Total cost of the clock was $2,000.
(Source: Commemorative Booklet, Van Wert County Sesquicentennial, 1821-1971)
Ohio Courthouse Project