The asymmetrical two-story brick building is an example of the Victorian Romanesque style, which enjoyed great popularity in Ohio from the mid-1880s through the mid-1890s.
The building was designed by architects Kramer and Harpster with an imposing Richardsonian arched opening, belfry and octagonal tower. The semi-circular opening is repeated on two levels of the belfry tower. The entry is recessed with double one-panel glass doors which are new and one-panel transom, Stone stringcourses, nameplate, sash, lintels and keystones highlight the style.
The main structure of the building incorporates two pyramidal and one high hip roof with a high pyramidal belfry and octagonal pointed and flared tower roof-all slate covered. Two pierced chimney stack units are on the main structure. The towers are graced by two original ornate lightning rods with ornamental iron work on biforium shaped belfry openings. There have been few alterations to the school other than requirements to meet state code. Interior wall structures have remained unchanged.
In 1930, an auditorium-gymnasium addition designed by Peter Hulsken of Lima was made to the school. This area compliments the older structure with two setback sections providing three bays facing Green Street.
The Willshire School is significant not only for its outstanding architecture, but for its increased rarity as a fully-utilized public school building from this era and its identification with the village of Willshire.
Through the years, schools have served as community centers and the pride of small town communities. Their removal and closure, under statewide consolidation efforts in the 1950s and 1960s, has most frequently been followed by disintegration of community identity. Although merged into a new school district in 1961, the Willshire community has resisted efforts to raze or radically alter this building.