This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 1775 visitor since 2 November 2004 -- thanks for stopping by!

HAMILTON COUNTY


Contributor::

Transcription contributed by Arne H Trelvik 2 June, 2003

Sources:
The History of Warren County Ohio
Part III. The History of Warren County by Josiah Morrow
Chapter I. Organization and Boundaries
(Chicago, IL: W. H. Beers Co, 1882; reprint, Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1992)
Comments::
 
Related Links:
 

Page
215

HAMILTON COUNTY

For a period of thirteen years subsequent to 1790, and for about eight years after the first settlement, Warren County, or that portion of it between the Miamis, formed a part of Hamilton County, with the seat of justice at Cincinnati. That portion of Warren west of the Great Miami, from 1790 to 1798,

Page
216
was a part of Knox County, with the seat of Justice at Vincennes on the Wabash; from 1798 to 1803, a part of Hamilton; and from 1803 to 1815, a part of Butler. The part of Warren east of the Little Miami seems to have been included in Hamilton County from 1796 to 1803.

Hamilton County, the second county of the Northwest Territory, was formed by proclamation of Gov. Arthur St. Clair, January 2, 1790. It was originally bounded on the south by the Ohio; on the east by the Little Miami; on the west by the Great Miami; and on the north, by a line drawn due east from the Standing Stone Forks or branch of the Great Miami. The Standing Stone Fork or branch of the Great Miami is supposed to have been Loramie’s Branch, which flows into the Miami near the northern boundary line of Miami County. On August 15, 1796, the eastern boundary line of Hamilton County was altered, and declared to be a due north line from the lower Shawnee town on the Scioto River. On June 22, 1798, the western boundary of Hamilton County was declared to run with the Greenville treaty line from the Ohio River to Fort Recovery.


FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]
   

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 2 June, 2003 and last updated 21 November, 2006
© 2003-2006 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved