This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 2451 visitor since 1 December 2004 -- thanks for stopping by!

Post Offices


Contributor::

Transcription contributed by Arne H Trelvik 6 September 2003

Sources:
The History of Warren County Ohio
Part III. History of Warren County
Chapter VI. General Progress
(Chicago, IL: W. H. Beers Co, 1882; reprint, Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1992)
Related Links:

Page
292

Post Offices

There were no post offices within the limits of Warren County for more than eight years after the settlements were commenced. Cincinnati was for several years the post office for the whole Miami Valley. At the beginning of the present century, letters were advertised as remaining in the post office at Cincinnati addressed as follows: “John Bigger, Fourth Range;” “Thomas Espy, Little Miami;” “John Wallace, School Master, Turtle Creek;” “Moses Crane, Fourth Range;” others were addressed “Bailey’s Station,” “Below the Big Miami,” “Duck Creek,” “Big Prairie,” etc.

Within two years after the organization of the State Government, four post offices were established in Warren Count, viz.: at Waynesville, Deerfield, Franklin and Lebanon. Ten years then elapsed before any others were established. In 1812, Montgomery, in Hamilton County, was made a post office, and it accommodated a portion of the people of Warren living in the southwestern part of the county.

The first mail between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh was carried in a canoe, in February, 1794. A line of row-boats was established in that year between those points, with relays at different stations, to carry the mail. The first

Page
293
mails to post offices in Warren County were carried by a post-rider. The route was from Cincinnati to Lebanon, Xenia, Urbana, thence across to Piqua, and down through Dayton, Franklin and Hamilton to Cincinnati, taking a week to make the trip. The people thought themselves fortunate in having a weekly mail service for some years. The mail was carried by post-riders until about the year 1825, when stage lines were started with the mails.

There are persons still living who can remember when the postage on a letter, which must be written on a single sheet of paper, between Cincinnati and New Orleans, was 25 cents, and the freight on a barrel of flour between the same points was sometimes below that figure. Most men at that time would have regarded our present mail facilities an impossibility, and especially would the prediction that letters would one day be carried from Maine to California for three cents have been regarded as a Utopian dream.

The following complete list of all post offices in Warren County, dates of their establishment and names of the first Postmasters, was prepared by George W. Frost, of the Pension Office, from the books of the Post Office Department at Washington:

[NOTE: The list provided in Beers has been changed from a chronological to an alphabetical list]

 
Post Office Date Formed 1st Postmaster Comments
Brown’s Store August 31, 1841 Samuel Brown Discontinued 1858
Butlerville December 17, 1838 Jefferson Stevens (in place of Rossburg)
Camp Hagerman May 9, 1879 John B. Jack  
Dallasburg August 22, 1848 William Wene Changed to Cozaddale, 1871
Deerfield January 1, 1805 Ephraim Kibbey  
Dunlevy January 17, 1850 B. A. Stokes  
Edwardsville December 20, 1833 Thomas Adams  
Fort Ancient May 28, 1846 Thomas C. Nelson  
Foster’s Crossings October 27, 1859 Joseph T. Matthews  
Franklin April 1, 1805 John N. C. Schenck  
Gainesboro January 18, 1822 Jacob Reeder  
Harveysburg August 3, 1839 Robert E. Lefetra  
Hopkinsville February 25, 1825 James Hopkins  
Kirkwood July 27, 1829 William N. Kirkwood Changed to Mason, 1835
Lebanon April 1, 1805 William Ferguson  
Level February 30, 1834 Thomas Adams  
Liberty Hall October 25, 1848 David L. Brown Discontinued August 12, 1851
Maineville January 14, 1854 James Ford  
Mason April 25, 1835 Mason Seward (in place of Kirkwood)
Mill Grove January 9, 1832 James S. Duvall Discontinued 1845
Morrow November 5, 1845 Warren Morrison  
Mount Holly March 8, 1843 Samuel Hill Discontinued 1863
Murdoch May 4, 1866 William H. Walker  
Oregon February 8, 1846 William H. Hamilton  
Pekin December 8, 1874 David W. Earnhart  
Pence’s Mills June 21, 1867 Edward M. Pence Discontinued 1872
Pleasant Plain June 29, 1857 Peter C. Spurling  
Red Lion February 2, 1834 John S. Todd  
Ridgeville October 1, 1816 John Blair  
Roachester September 13, 1825 Oliver Cook Discontinued July 15, 1853
Rossburg January 19, 1833 Jefferson Stevens Changed to Butlerville 1838
Scottsville July 8, 1852 John C. Bercaw Discontinued 1855
Socialville May 1, 1878 Abel Conover  
South Lebanon July 28, 1871 John Cooper In place of Deerfield
Springboro March 3, 1821 John Pennington  
Twenty Mile Stand September 28, 1824 Samuel Clendenen  
Waynesville April 1, 1804 Samuel Heighway, Jr.  

[NOTE: The list provided in Beers has been changed from a chronological list to an alphabetical list]


FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]

     

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 6 September 2003 and last updated 18 September, 2012
© 2003-2005 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved