Transcription contributed by Martie Callihan 28 December 2004
The History of Warren County Ohio
The Muddy Creek Baptist Church was one of the oldest Baptist Churches in the county. It was admitted into the Miami Baptist Association in 1804. The first preaching of the society was at private houses, and afterward in a schoolhouse erected near where the Muddy Creek Graveyard is. About 1817, the society purchased a lot and erected an old-fashioned frame meeting-house. A brick building was afterward erected. The name of this society was dropped from the minutes of the association in 1854.
The Christians or New-Lights erected a log meeting-house in the western part of Section 29 about 1815, at which Rev. Isaac Dearth, Rev. Richard Simonton and others preached. This society ceased to exist about 1820.
The Unity Presbyterian Church was one of the old churches of the township. As early as 1808, the Presbyterians held services at private houses. In 1812, David Williamson and Noah Corey were ordained Elders of the Unity Church. The leading members about 1812 were George Williamson, John Vandyke, Sr., Hannah Vandyke, Mary Williamson, Peter Williamson, Hannah Williamson, John Vandyke, Mary Vandyke, Peter Vandyke, Judge J. D. Lowe, Hannah Corey, Peter Wikoff, Catharine Wikoff, John Lynn, Jane Lynn, John Monfort, Mary Monfort and others. The congregation gradually increased, and, in 1814, feeling the necessity of a public place of worship, a lot was given by J. D. Lowe to the trustees of the church, located just east of the Unity Graveyard, on which was erected a log church. About 1832, this congregation was divided, one division forming the Harmony Church at Monroe. The Unity Church ceased to exist some years ago, the few remaining members uniting with the Pisgah Church, in Butler County, and forming a new society called the First Presbyterian Church of Mason, which dates its existence from October 25, 1845. This church is still in existence.
The Bethel Methodist society was organized about 1830 at the house of Augustine McNail. About 1840, the society erected a church on a lot donated by Uriah Keeler. The congregation was blessed with several successful revivals. In 1875, the church was burned. The location of the church was then changed to Hamilton County and a new house erected.
The Union Methodist society was organized as a class before the year 1820. Its first meetings were held at a log house called Union, about two miles northeast of the present site. In 1834, the society built a brick house on the site of the present church. The Trustees at that time were Frederick Cline, Brazilla Clark, Michael Bowman, Levi Bowyer, Stephen Bowyer, Elisha Clark, Joel Hanly and John Clap. The present brick structure was built in 1862 and cost $1,092.85.
The Socialville Methodist society originated in a class which sprang from the Bethel society, and, in 1845, a church was built on a lot donated by Henry Hageman, costing a little over $800. The first Trustees were N. Dawson, David Bennett, Abbott Norris, Jonathan Myers, Aaron Scull, S. P. Wilkinson and Joseph Hulse.
The Mason Universalist society took the first steps toward the erection of a church on the 15th of August, 1835. On this day a meeting was held and the following resolution adopted:
First. That the meeting have determined to build a house
of public worship in the town of Palmyra, and that the house be a frame
|David Hoffman, George G. Murphy and Peter
Wikoff were duly appointed Trustees; James Fugate,
Treasurer, and John McKinney, Clerk. The house was soon
erected, and the society has ever since been in a flourishing condition.
The Mason Methodist Church, in 1837, numbered thirty members, and in that year took steps toward erecting its first house of worship. A lot was donated to the society by Rev. J. J. Hill, and a house of worship costing $2,000 was erected thereon. The Trustees at that time were Thomas White, William White, John Randall, William Morris and Enoch Harker. The society prospered for many years and maintained a good Sabbath school. Subsequent to 1860, services were for a time discontinued, and the church became dilapidated. In 1880, a new house was erected at a cost of $2,500.
The Somerset Presbyterian Church is in the extreme southern part of the
township. The congregation was organized about 1820, and, in 1822, Rev.
Ludwell G. Gaines became pastor of this church in connection
with the Presbyterian Church at Montgomery. The church is still in existence
and generally has had its pastors in connection with the church at Montgomery
NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.
This page created 28 December 2004 and last
31 March, 2013
© 2004-2005 Arne H Trelvik All rights reserved