This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 2249 visitor since 13 March 2005 -- thanks for stopping by!

Graveyards


Contributor::

Transcription contributed by Arne H Trelvik 1 Feb 2004

Sources:

The History of Warren County Ohio
Part IV Township Histories
Deerfield Township by Louis F. Coleman
(Chicago, IL: W. H. Beers Co, 1882; reprint, Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1992)


Page
642

One of the oldest burying-grounds was the now unused part of the Unity School lot. It was set apart about the year 1800, when the first bodies were buried there. In 1813, J. D. Lowe gave a lot, adjoining the one he gave to the Unity Church. In this many bodies have been interred, but it is no longer used as a burying-place.

In 1803, the Union yard was opened for the interment of the dead. This is in the Bowyer community, about a mile north of the present Union Church. About the same time the Muddy Creek Graveyard was started.

Just after Mason was laid out, a yard was commenced on the north edge of the town. Besides these yards, many private family burial places dotted the township.

In 1868, a move was made to form a common place of burial for the township. The Trustees purchased ten acres of ground from P. W. Wikoff for $2,000, to be used as a cemetery under the control of the township. The grounds were immediately prepared, divided into lots, graded and sectioned. Hundreds

Page
643
of bodies were taken from the old graveyards and moved to this. Many have been buried there since. Monuments of the most beautiful design have been erected to these dead ones by their living friends. The greatest care has been taken to make it one of the most beautiful of places. This has been done, and no “city of the dead” in this county is more beautiful than this.

FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]

     

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 1 Feb 2004 and last updated 4 November, 2006
© 2004-2005 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved