Transcription contributed by Martie Callihan 6 January 2005
The History of Warren County Ohio
This congregation was organized in 1814 with the following members: John Marsh, James Tapscott, James Holmes, William Martin, Joseph Tapscott, Nancy Marsh, Mary Berry, Mary Tapscott, Mary James, James Wheatfield and Elizabeth Wheatfield.
A site for building a church edifice was obtained through the kindness of James Tapscott, who deeded to the church one acre of ground, with a space, one rod wide, leading from the chapel south to the road.
On this was built a brick meeting-house, and on this spot the congregation, composed largely of descendants of the original members, still assemble to serve God. The name Tapscott Meeting-House was given it in honor of the donor.
Although organized at so early a date, the incorporation did not take place until December 11, 1830, when John Cox, James T. Barkalow and John Marsh became Trustees, and John Underwood, Church Clerk.
In 1833, Joseph Tapscott was elected Clerk; John B. Moses, Treasurer, and J. N. C. Schenck acted as Clerk of the Election.
John B. Moses was the first Deacon, ordained by the laying-on of hands, November 27, 1830.
In 1836, a split occurred on doctrinal points, and those leaving formed the Baptist Church of Franklin, the history of which will be given in its proper place.
The first minister ordained was Elder Peter Poyner. who served from 1814 to 1820; Elder Jacob Mulford, who served from 1820 to 1830; Elder Stephen Gard, who served from 1830 to 1838, with the exception of part of the year of 1836, during which Elder Robertson served: Elder Samuel Williams, from 1838 to 1870, during a part of which time Elder Benjamin Lampton supplied the pulpit; Elder John McDonald, a short time in 1870; Elder Ephraim Barker, from 1870 to 1875; Elder Wilson Thompson Pence, from March, 1875, to 1876; Elder Edward Stephens, from 1876 to 1877; Elder John M. Thompson, from October, 1877, till the present time.
This church has services generally once a month, and the pastor has no regular salary, but simply accepts the voluntary contributions of the congregation.
During this year, the heirs of Thomas Shinn gave one acre of ground, just south of the church, bordering on the road from Franklin to Carlisle Station, on which has been erected a parsonage building of six rooms and kitchen, costing $1,300, and other improvements which will amount to $500.
The members of this church have always been, and are still, characterized
by their attachment to their branch of the church, and, being in good
circumstances, always have everything in good condition. The church building
has lately been enlarged and put in thorough repair. To the east of the
church is a burying-ground,
where repose the remains of some of the first settlers.
NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.
This page created 6 January 2005 and last updated
25 November, 2012
© 2005-2006 Arne H Trelvik All rights reserved