This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 1964 visitor since 6 January 2005 -- thanks for stopping by!

Carlisle Station


Contributor::

Transcription contributed by Martie Callihan 6 January 2005

Sources:

The History of Warren County Ohio
Part IV Township Histories
Franklin Township by W. C. Reeder
(Chicago, IL: W. H. Beers Co, 1882; reprint, Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1992)

Comments::
 
Related Links:
 

Page
518

This country town and station has been, since 1813, the central point of interest for the New Jersey Settlement. Here was the Presbyterian Church, the history of which has been given, and here was the blacksmith-shop which is always a center of interest to the farming community. The survey of the line of the C., H. & D. E. B. passed just at the foot of the hill on which the church is situated, and, as this road was commenced about 1848, from that date we may trace the history of the station, which received its name from Hon. George Carlisle, of Cincinnati. This gentleman, being interested in the C., H. &. D., purchased quite a large tract of land, and, throwing it into lots, offered them for sale at a moderate rate. A post office was established, and a store, soon followed by another, furnished the citizens with the supplies necessary. The freight depot, containing large storage room, caused the grain market of this place to assume large proportions, and, although there may never be a large city here, the rich soil and the thrifty character of the farming community will make it a place of business. The amount of grain, hogs, cattle and tobacco shipped here is large. It is the station for Germantown and a large part of Montgomery County adjacent to it

The town contains a town hall for public uses. Carlisle being near the Montgomery County line, the school was for many years in what is called a fractional district, part of the pupils being in Warren County and part in Montgomery County, and teachers drew part of their pay in one county and part in the other. The school increased in numbers until May 24, 1872, when the Board of Education of Carlisle Separate District, No. 6, gave notice to the qualified voters of said district that there would be a vote taken at the hall on the 11th day of June, 1872, at 4 P. M., for or against a tax of $5,000 or $6,000, for building purposes. Great feeling was manifested both for and against the tax.

This bitter feeling lasted for some time, if it is not yet in existence, but the house was finally erected on a fine lot southeast of the church. The building contains four rooms and halls, with spacious cellarage and large playgrounds. There are but two departments at present, under charge of Mr. Geo. P. Price and Miss Hannah Ely. The studies pursued embrace a part of the high school studies, and, under the care of Mr. Price, the school has made good progress. Carlisle is the only town besides Franklin that is wholly in the township. Blue Ball, about five miles south of Franklin, being partly in Butler County.


FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]

     

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 6 January 2005 and last updated 21 November, 2006
© 2005 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved