This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 1631 visitor since 1 February 2005 -- thanks for stopping by!

In the War


Contributor::

Transcription contributed by Martie Callihan 1 February 2005

Sources:

The History of Warren County Ohio
Part IV Township Histories
Franklin Township by W. C. Reeder
(Chicago, IL: W. H. Beers Co, 1882; reprint, Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1992)


Page
547

Franklin enjoys the distinction of sending out one of the earliest, as well as one of the best-drilled, and best-equipped companies in the early history of the war. As soon as the call of the President was made for troops, in April, 1861, Capt. Kell called for volunteers, and almost all his entire company, the Franklin Greys, at once responded. Those who did not wish to go easily found others to take their places. The citizens at once determined to uniform the men, and, in less than a week, the company, uniformed and numbering more than a hundred men, was in Columbus, Ohio. They were assigned to the First Ohio and became Company B of that regiment. They were assigned to duty in and near Washington. They were sent out as skirmishers at Bull Run, and one of the company fired the first shot in that battle, having discovered an artillery man of the Southern army pulling brush from in front of a masked battery and his fire brought a return shot from the battery. In this battle, the company had one man, A. B. Spader, captured by the rebels, and one blinded by a fragment of a shell. After their discharge, most of the company re-enlisted—a great many in the Second Ohio with Capt O. C. Maxwell. Captain, afterward, Col. Morgan, recruited the most of his company here and was assigned

Page
548
to the Seventy-fifth Ohio. Lieut. Snell mustered a part of a company, which were incorporated with that of Capt. W. W. Wilson, in the Seventy-ninth, and served till the close of the war, being with Sherman on his famous "march to the sea." Many enlisted in the Twelfth, some in the Sixty-ninth, the Thirty-fourth, the Fourth Cavalry, the Heavy Artillery and a few in the gunboat service. In fact, during the war, Franklin Township, as well as the town, was almost deserted by young men. The town furnished a company to the One Hundred and Forty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and the town and township another to the same regiment. A company under Capt. O. H. Denise was in the Sixtieth Regiment. Many of the boys were brought home dead, others came home to die and a few still lie on the battle-fields.

FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]

     

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 1 February 2005 and last updated 16 February, 2009
© 2005 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved