This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 1716 visitor since 1 February 2005 -- thanks for stopping by!

Hotels


Contributor::

Transcription contributed by Martie Callihan 1 February 2005

Sources:

The History of Warren County Ohio
Part IV Township Histories
Franklin Township by W. C. Reeder
(Chicago, IL: W. H. Beers Co, 1882; reprint, Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1992)


Page
548

Probably the first hotel in Franklin was kept by Aaron Reeder, M. D., and was near the corner of Front and Sixth streets. He also, as was the custom of those days, kept a bar, which was the cause of his death; having acquired the habit of drinking, he took a drink of aqua fortis through mistake for whisky. It is not certain when he died, but his wife was in charge in 1814. In 1836 or 1837, we find that the Exchange Hotel, on the corner of Sixth and Canal, was kept by Francis McGalliard, and he also kept hotel on the corner of Sixth and Center streets. Thomas Wilkins also kept hotel. Charles Lang kept on the corner of Center and Fifth streets, and Nathaniel Coleman kept the Mansion House in 1837. Caspar Miller kept the Canal Hotel for many years, and afterward, the Miller House, up to about 1865, when he retired from business. Joseph Hurst kept the Bull's Head Tavern for many years. Alex Cumming was also a landlord for years. Mrs. Hurst kept the Hurst House after her husband's death. William Harrison, Samuel Ross and Mrs. Hurst kept the hotel on the corner of Fifth and Front streets. Since Caspar Miller retired, his house has been occupied by several landlords, among whom were John C. Barkalow, Bickford, G. W. Miltenberger and Pem Morton, who is now the occupant. Mr. Washington Coleman, who kept boarders for several years, was induced several years since to open a hotel in his residence, on Center street, between Fourth and Fifth. As there is no bar connected with this house, he has enjoyed the patronage of the better class of travelers, and so popular is he as a landlord, that, during the past year, he has been obliged to enlarge his house, which he did by raising it to three stories. He has now ample room for all and is reaping the reward of his enterprise in the shape of a good patronage.


FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]

     

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 1 February 2005 and last updated 21 November, 2006
© 2005 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved