This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 2155 visitor since 22 April 2005 -- thanks for stopping by!

Towns and Villages


Contributor::

Transcription contributed by Arne H Trelvik 28 May 2003

Sources:

The History of Warren County Ohio
Part IV Township Histories
Harlan Township by J. A. Runyan
(Chicago, IL: W. H. Beers Co, 1882; reprint, Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1992)

Comments::
 
Related Links:
 

Page
677

Osceola
Osceola was laid out by Lewis Fairchild and Benjamin Baldwin, on the lands of the latter principally, on June 11, 1838, on the G & W Turnpike. Forty one lots in all were laid out, situated on both sides of the pike, which constituted Main Street. Water and Powell Streets and Indian Alley were also named

Page
678

and dedicated by the plat. The residence of Hon. Benjamin Baldwin was near this place.

BLACK HAWK.
Black Hawk was laid out in 1838, August 7, by George B. Whitacre and Elisha Barber, on the line of the G. & W. Turnpike. The lots, twenty-six in number, were vacated by order of court, 1879.

MIDDLEBOROUGH.
Middleborough is on the Goshen and Wilmington Pike, about five miles northeast of Butlerville. It was laid out by George Bowman in August, 1838. For many years Truman Holmes, now deceased, kept a general store at this place. There are now two stores here, of which A. C. Bowman and Henry Krekler are the respective proprietors.

PLEASANT PLAIN.
Pleasant Plain was laid out by Samuel Craig, November 18, 1852, and was originally named by him New Columbia. The name was changed to Pleasant Plain by an act of the Legislature about 1860. An addition was made by him October 2, 1854. January 28, 1872, Thomas Hill laid out an addition of eleven lots on the east side of the village, and on December 5, 1873, Ira Dudley, Esq., added seven lots on the south.

This village is on the Marietta & Cincinnati R. R., and is the principal station on that road in the township. Pleasant Plain has two churches, a hotel, by J. M. Fox; a general store, by Peter C. Spurling, Esq., and a drug store and grain warehouse. This is the chief shipping point in the township. The only steam flouring mill in Harlan Township, erected by W. H. Greeley, Esq., about 1861, and now operated by Mr. Stewart, is located here.

LEVEL
Level is a station on the M. & C. R. R., and is about three miles east of Butlerville. It was not laid out as a town. It has a general store, grain warehouse, express and postoffice, etc.


FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]

     

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 28 May 2003 and last updated 22 April, 2005
© 2003-2005 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved