This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 2237 visitor since 16 December 2004 -- thanks for stopping by!

Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Lebanon


Contributor::

Transcription contributed by Arne H Trelvik 7 Sep 2003

Sources:
The History of Warren County Ohio
Part IV Township Histories
Turtle Creek Township
(Chicago, IL: W. H. Beers Co, 1882; reprint, Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1992)

Page
498

Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Lebanon. – This church was organized March 20, 1836, by Rev. Jacob Lindley, D. D., a member of the Pennsylvania Presbytery of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The organization was effected in a room occupied by Mrs. Ruth Parshall as a school-room, on Mulberry street. They worshiped during the first year of their history in the old court house, corner of Main and Broadway. Their present house of worship, on Mechanic street, was built in 1837, with an addition in 1848. The organization was entered into with the following members, viz., Amos Smith and Micajah Reeder, Mary H. Smith, Lydia Cowen, Ruth Parshall, Abraham Van Doren, Julia Lawson, Elizabeth Van Note, Eliza M. Lawson, Maria Van Doren and Ann Lawson. The first-named two were Ruling Elders. Rev. Matthew Huston Bone, D. D., of Anderson Presbytery, Ky., was the first pastor, serving one year – 1836-1837. Rev. Felix G. Black, of Logan Presbytery, Ky., entered upon the pastorate and served about fourteen years, or, from 1837 to 1850. He was succeeded by Rev. J. H. Coulter, of Miami Presbytery, who remained with the congregation four years, or, from 1851 to 1855. Rev. J. N. Edmiston, of Tennessee, took charge of the church in 1855, and continued until 1858. Rev. E. K. Squier, D. D., of the Muskingum Presbytery, Ohio, was called to the pastorate in November, 1858, and continued in said office until November, 1865. He was succeeded by Rev. S. Richards, D. D., of Illinois, who remained one year, or, from 1866 to 1867. Rev. S. F. Anderson, D. D., of the Pennsylvania Presbytery, served about two years – 1868-1870. Rev. J. P. Sprowls took charge of the church in 1871, and is still in the pastorate. The following members have been elected to the office of Ruling Elder in the congregation, viz., Amos Smith, Micajah Reeder, Aaron Van Note, William Russell, John Conrey, John Panly, Samuel Kell, Francis B. Howell, William F. Parshall, J. M. Conrey, William Evans, James D. McCain, Amos S. Bennett, Martin A. Jameson, William F. Dill, Jacob M. Sellers, David P. Bennett, David F. Colbert, William Huston Bone. The last five named on the above

Page
499
list constitute the present session of the church. About 600 persons have been connected in membership, a vast majority having joined on the profession of their faith. The present membership is 150.

FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]

     

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 7 Sep 2003 and last updated 21 March, 2011
© 2003-2006 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved