This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 1697 visitor since 16 December 2004 -- thanks for stopping by!

The Methodist Protestant Church at Lebanon


Contributor::

Transcription contributed by Arne H Trelvik 7 Sep 2003

Sources:
The History of Warren County Ohio
Part IV Township Histories
Turtle Creek Township
(Chicago, IL: W. H. Beers Co, 1882; reprint, Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1992)
Comments::
 
Related Links:
 

Page
499

The Methodist Protestant Church at Lebanon. – The Methodist Protestant Church in the United States was formed in 1830 by a secession from the Methodist Episcopal Church. The primary cause of the secession was dissatisfaction with the Episcopacy and the organization of the conferences whereby all authority in the church was placed in the hands of the Bishops and ministers, to the exclusion of the lay members. The church holds the same doctrinal views as the parent body and differs from it in but few points of ecclesiastical government though rejecting the Episcopacy.

The Lebanon Methodist Protestant society originated in a secession from the Methodist Episcopal Church. The society was organized September 14, 1846, at a meeting in Masonic Hall, forty-six male members being present. The first trustees of the society were Henry Howry, Amos Barr, Michael Peckinpaugh, Asbury Frazier, Joel G. Rockhill, Jacob Smith and Peter Farner. The church edifice on Mulberry street, upon which the town-clock is placed, was commenced immediately after the organization of the society, and was dedicated May 30, 1847. At the time of the dedication, the membership was about 120. The first pastor was Rev. R. M. Dalby. Among the original members were many active and influential men. For several years the new society flourished and it was an important body. In later years the membership has been small. Among the pastors have been Rev. T. B. Graham, Rev. J. M. Young, Rev. W. R. Parsons, Rev. J. E. Snowden, Rev. A. P. Powelson and Rev. William Hollinshed.


FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]

     

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 7 Sep 2003 and last updated 13 January, 2005
© 2003-2005 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved