This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 2089 visitor since 16 December 2004 -- thanks for stopping by!

Bethany Christian Church


Contributor::

Transcription contributed by Arne H Trelvik 10 Aug 2003

Sources:
The History of Warren County Ohio
Part IV Township Histories
Turtle Creek Township
(Chicago, IL: W. H. Beers Co, 1882; reprint, Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1992)
Comments::
This church is now the Bethany United Church of Christ. Many of the members listed below are now buried in the adjacent Bethany Church Cemetery

Page
500

Bethany Christian Church. – This church, situated about three miles east of Lebanon, is one of the oldest churches of Turtle Creek Township. The following is a copy of a paper in the possession of the family of John Simonton, of Lebanon, which seems to be the original constitution of this church:

WARREN COUNTY, TURTLE CREEK TOWNSHIP, Dec. 15, 1821. We, whose names are hereunto annexed, being met together in the name and fear of God, do agree to constitute ourselves into a church for the purpose of enjoying the privileges and ordinances of the Lord’s House together taking the Word of God contained in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testament for the man of counsel, the only rule of faith and practice, promising subjection to each other in the Lord. In testimony whereof, we have hereunto set our hands and subscribed our names.
Richard Simonton,
Mary Simonton,
Daniel Banta,
Mary Banta,
Rachel Banta,
Joseph Dunham,
Cyrus Simonton,
Elizabeth Simonton,
Eleven Marrett,
P. Banta,
Rachel Banta,
Jane Banta,
John Hatfield,
Elizabeth Hatfield,
Anna Hatfield,
Albert Cossairt,
Mary Banta,
Mary Newport,
T. Banta,
Samuel Ware,
John Collins,
Charity Collins,
Paul Pence,
Mary Pence,
Jesse Newport,
Phebe McCristy,
Elizabeth Marresty,
Thomas Stephenson,
Mary Hudghel,
Anna Lancaster

There seems to have been, however, some kind of a church organization at this place and known as Bethany at an earlier date than that given in the foregoing document. Richard Simonton, who became a minister of this congregation, was ordained to the ministry “in the Christian Church at Bethany, in Warren County, Ohio, on the 18th day of October, 1821.” According to the recollections of some of the older inhabitants, there was a church at this place as early as 1815. In recent years, the number of members has been about 200. A Christian Church was organized at Genntown about 1855 by Rev. William Beller, and is still in existence.


FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]

     

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 10 Aug 2003 and last updated 10 April, 2008
© 2003-2005 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved