This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 1771 visitor since 20 February 2005 -- thanks for stopping by!

Schools


Contributor::

Transcription contributed by Martie Callihan 20 February 2005

Sources:

The History of Warren County Ohio
Part IV Township Histories
Wayne Township by Judge John W. Keys
(Chicago, IL: W. H. Beers Co, 1882; reprint, Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1992)


Page
570

The citizens took an early interest in education, and, as neighborhoods were settled, a log schoolhouse was built with narrow openings at the sides sufficient to receive a single 8x10 glass. Among the first school-teachers were Rowland Richards, who taught in a log schoolhouse in Waynesville in 1802; Joel Wright, who taught at Abijah O'Neall's, in east Wayne Township, in the years 1802, 1804 and 1805; Elizabeth Wright, in 1808, and, between that and the year 1820, Joel and Allen Wright, who both taught in Waynesville; from 1820 to 1824, Thomas Ricket taught in Waynesville; he was followed by Thomas O'Brien, Horace Lathrope, Jeffrey Truman, William Butterworth, John C. Whitrage, John Gilpin, Noah Leeds, Chaney Pyle and others up to the year 1830.

Each district is now supplied with a good and substantial school building maintained at the public expense. In 1857, the Union Schoolhouse in Waynesville was built, with George P. Brown as first Superintendent. Since then a higher order of schools has been maintained. The school is now under the superintendency of Mr. George J. Graham.


FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]

     

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 20 February 2005 and last updated 3 August, 2005
© 2005 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved