This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 1646 visitor since 7 February 2005-- thanks for stopping by
!

Ransom S. lockwood (1810-1889)

Contributor::

Transcription contributed by Martie Callihan 7 February 2005

Sources:
The History of Warren County Ohio
Part V. Biographical Sketches
Franklin Township
(Chicago, IL: W. H. Beers Co, 1882; reprint, Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1992)
Related Links:

Page
807

RANSOM S. LOCKWOOD, Justice of the Peace, Franklin; son of John and Phoebe (Seeley) Lockwood, was born in Union Village, Warren County, February 13, 1810. His father was a carpenter and millwright, and built the first frame house in Union Village, which still stands, opposite the church. His parents were of the Shaker belief; this sect at that time owned 5,000 acres of land in that vicinity, and were like a little empire; they had no schoolhouses, and would not allow their children to attend the district schools, so our subject never received a day's learning inside a schoolhouse; in fact, when he attained his 8th year, his education was ended; when 12 years old, he went to learn the tailor's trade, at which he worked winters till 1833, laying brick during the summers; he then went to Springfield on foot, with a companion by the name of Farr; here they engaged in making clay smoking pipes; they made about fifteen thousand, then gave it up, and he went to Minktown and worked at the tailor's trade with a Mr. Stephenson one year; he then went to Waynesville and worked at his trade till 1835, when he came to Franklin and engaged as journeyman tailor for Moses McPheeters' till the time of Mr. McPheeters' death, which occurred in 1837, when himself and Gabriel Scharf took the business, which they carried on nearly ten years. In 1846, he was elected Justice of the Peace, which office

Page
808
he has since filled, and is probably the oldest in the county. He was married, in Franklin, in 1840, to Hannah Ross; they have four children—Laura; Ross, now in the dentist profession, office adjoining his father's; Hope, a telegraph operator in Cincinnati; and Clara. He owns a fine brick residence on Center street, below Sixth, which he built in 1849; he also owns a fine block, corner Center and Fifth streets, where his office is located.

FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]

     

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 7 February 2005 and last updated 3 July, 2009
© 2005 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved