This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 1611 visitor since 15 March 2005 -- thanks for stopping by!
Warren County Local History by Dallas Bogan

Historian Cleans Out His Files With Various Tidbits On County

Contributor:
Dallas Bogan on 23 July 2004
Source:
Dallas Bogan, Warren County, Ohio and Beyond (Bowie Maryland:Heritage Press, 1979) page 35
Return to Index to see a list of other articles by Dallas Bogan

The following is information which contains loose ends that the writer has laid back, and do not include enough material for a complete article. Many are quotes from newspaper articles and the like. The first four features were taken from The Warren County Record in 1902.


"The old well-sweep has almost vanished. How familiar was the square board box that rose from the well-curb and the long pole that spanned above, the well always open to the air, and the dank, narrow bucket, that was attached by a chain to the aerial pole, and was placed on a ledge, all dripping with cool, good water. The contention will always be made, at least until the present generation dies away, that we have never had such water as it was."


"The toll-gate came years after the early settlement, but it has passed away, and that so long ago that many well-grown people may never have seen one. When a little white house, standing close to the road, hitched by a rope to a half-leaning pole, and giving one the impression that the house was linked to a post on the other side of the road, appeared to your vision, you had to pay, or the toll-bar came down to stop your progress. Now there is not a toll-bar spanning any road in Warren County."


"Along the roadway we had milestones. They are practically all gone. The milestone had a shape, width, and a bright surface not unlike many gravestones. It had the number of miles to some place, and the number of miles from some place, carved in the stone. It served a good purpose in its day, but the need of it passed, and the stone gave place to something else, and its life went out with the rapid march we have been making."


"An enterprise of great importance in the early history of Lebanon and Warren County was the building of the Miami Canal from Dayton to Cincinnati. On the completion of the canal, and on the day that the first boat was to pass through from Dayton to Cincinnati, there was a great celebration at Franklin. A large delegation went over to Franklin from Lebanon. Some went in carriages, but the majority went on horseback, that was the customary way of traveling in those days. Being only fourteen years of age, I was rather young to be a delegate, but I went with the others, all the same, and, riding my own horse, felt about as big as Thomas Corwin, or anybody else.

"The boat left Dayton that morning, and was due at Franklin early in the day, but, as yet, there was but little water in the canal, which caused the boat frequently to drag on the ground, making progress slowly. Finally, when the horn blew, and the boat came in sight, [about 1828] there was a great rush for the canal, and very soon both banks and the bridges at street crossings were crowded with people, and, as the boat passed under the first bridge, there was a great shout. The people were very enthusiastic.

"The arrival at the present day of an ocean war vessel would not cause as much excitement as that little canal boat did that day. The name, painted in large letters (Alpha of Dayton), was very appropriate. Very soon after this there was a daily line of passenger boats from Dayton to Cincinnati. These were called packet boats, for passengers, making about five miles an hour. This was rapid transit in those days. At about this time the daily line of four-horse stages from Cincinnati to Sandusky was established. This was progress." (William Ferguson II, an early resident of Lebanon wrote the last article.)


Last Tribe of Ohio Indians Pass Through Lebanon

The Wyandotte's, who had earlier been known as the Hurons, came from north of Lake Erie and settled on the south shore of that lake, mainly about Sandusky Bay and westward to the Maumee. They gradually spread out until they occupied most of northern Ohio. The Western Star inserted an article in the paper that concerned the last of the Indians. It said:

"On Monday, the 17th of July, 1843, an Indian tribe - the Wyandotte's - passed through Lebanon. This was the last tribe left in Ohio, and they were removing to their far distant home west of the Mississippi River.
"They were removing at their own charge, in wagons and on horseback, and made quite an imposing appearance. There were, in all, about one hundred and fifty wagons and carriages, eighty of which they had hired for the occasion, and the remainder belonged to themselves. From Cincinnati they go by steamboat to a point not far from their destination. They number, in all, between seven and eight hundred, but a part of their people have gone across by land with the stock, and a few yet remain behind to close up their business.
"The tribe is comparatively wealthy. Besides the large sum received in hand, their annual annuity will amount, we understand, to about twenty-two dollars a head, men, women and children. In addition to this they have allotted to them west of the Mississippi perhaps four times as much land as they owned in Ohio, and their stock, in horses, cattle, etc., is very considerable.
"The Wyandotte's are far advanced in civilization, and have many men among them of wealth and education. They appeared to be well prepared for the toils and fatigues of the journey, and, withal, happy and contented in view of their change of condition and prospects.
"Still, one could not but feel melancholy at witnessing the exodus from our borders of the last of a powerful race, which, in times gone by, held undisputed possession of this broad land. But their council fires have gone out; their wigwams are deserted. No more their shrill whoop resounds through the interminable forest, starting the game from its lair to meet the fatal ball of the hunter.
"They have passed away! Peace, civilization and science have taken their place, transforming the trackless wilderness into cultivated fields, and rewarding the laborer for his toil. They are gone! May the Good Spirit guide and protect them!"


Some Interesting County Names

In Washington Township there was a settlement of people and a schoolhouse that was known by the name of "Leather Ear." The founding or reasoning for the name is not at the present time known to this writer.
East of Lebanon, on the road to old Mather's Mill was a place known as "Buzzard's Glory." It was a small area located west of the Little Miami River. Perhaps the area got its name from a resting point of the huge fowl.
The name "Dog Street" should ring a bell to many residents south of Lebanon. The lands that skirt Muddy Creek have long been called this name. "Mary Ellen" and "Blue Shinn" were many years ago common names for locations along the Little Miami River. "Hoptown" is a familiar nickname for Hopkinsville.


Businesses of Waynesville in 1853

The following businesses were listed in the Waynesville Miami Visitor dated December 14, 1853.
There were two saddle and harness making establishments in Waynesville, one who was Chandler & Ebright, Main St, between North and Miami. The harness prices ranged from $10 to $25 for single, and from $20 to $75 for double seats; their saddles varied in price from $5 up to $25.
G.W. Satterthwaite, the business being conducted by Mr. John Borden, possibly owned the other establishment. It was situated on the corner of Main & Miami Streets.
There were possibly two or three grocery stores in town, the number not being absolute.
Four blacksmith shops were listed, the names being: T.B. McComas, on Miami Street; Levi Hartsock, upper end of Main Street; Mr. Crispen, at the foundry; and D. Eberly on the Public Square. Mr. I.V Fairholm occasionally did a little business at his shop east side of Main Street in the back.
There were no wagon making establishments in town.
Carpenters were too numerous to count. A.E. Merritt and H.W. Printz had shops and helpers, the latter number not given.
Seven or eight doctors was the count given, but no names were supplied. One drug store was listed, the former owner being Asa Trahern. H.W. & E.R. Printz had purchased it.
George M. Zell ran the chain pump business.
There were two hotels in Waynesville and one in Corwin, viz. the Hammell House, on Main Street, operated by E.P. Yoemans; The Morrow House, located on the corner of Main and North Street, owned by R. Morrow; and the Woodruff House, in Corwin, owned by Mrs. Woodruff. There was one livery stable in town, William Rogers, proprietor.
There were two saw mills and two flour mills, one of each at the upper end of town, Wright & Baily, Proprietors, and the other two at the lower end, A.H. & J.P. McKay, proprietors.
The town had one cooper shop, that of L. Umphry, North Street. In Corwin, A. Cadwallader had a shop.


Early Settlers and their Residency in the County

Several diplomatic officials, namely, John Cleves Symmes who was Chief Justice of New Jersey, and the originator of the Symmes Purchase, represented New Jersey in the County. An associate of Symmes in his purchase was Jonathan Dayton (for whom Dayton, Kentucky and Dayton, Ohio, was named), a Revolutionary War officer. Another associate, also a resident of New Jersey, was Dr. Elias Boudinot, also as Revolutionary patriot. Dr. Boudinot was a President of the Federal Congress and afterward first President of the American Bible Society. It was certainly possible for so many of the early settlers of New Jersey to settle in Warren County.
The Quakers came from Pennsylvania, Virginia and the Carolinas, settling largely in the northern and eastern parts of the County; Waynesville soon became a prominent place among the Friends. Opponents of slavery came from the slave states to live in the first free State organized in the Northwest Territory


FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]

     

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the submitter, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 23 July 2004 and last updated 28 September, 2008
© 2004 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved