This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 1782 visitor since 15 March 2005 -- thanks for stopping by!
Warren County Local History by Dallas Bogan

More Bits And Pieces Of Warren County History

Contributor:
Dallas Bogan on 23 July 2004
Source:
Dallas Bogan, Warren County, Ohio and Beyond (Bowie Maryland:Heritage Press, 1979) page 41
Return to Index to see a list of other articles by Dallas Bogan

Other Times

The many means of living or survival accompanied the pioneers. With no means of manufacture or simply to say, "every thing was done by hand" was a true statement. The next four segments will explain somewhat the methods of living within their means.
It should be noted that a "spider" was the handiest and most commonly used of all pioneer-cooking utensils. It was just like a skillet, except that it had a very long handle. It also had legs attached to it and could be set right over the fire. There was also an iron rim on the cover, so that hot coals could be piled under the spider and on the top of the lid. No flame was allowed to blaze around it. Deep iron kettles, which the pioneers brought, were highly treasured, because for many years iron was not available west of the Alleghenies. The griddle was much like the spider, but had no legs or cover.
Soapmaking was a process in which the pioneers settled into in the spring of the year. Now enough soap was made to last through the year. Wood ashes saved during the winter were put into a barrel. Water was poured through the ashes and allowed to trickle out through a hole in the bottom. This brown liquid or "lye" was then boiled in a large kettle with fats and grease saved from the year's cooking and butchering. The mixture was cooked slowly until it thickened to form a soft, jellylike, yellow soap.
Candlemaking was a much-needed skill since the pioneers depended upon this means of light for their night hours. The wicks were made of rolled cotton, silky down from milkweeds, or tow string, slipped over a candle rod and dipped in melted tallow. The tallow clung to the wick and hardened. The dipping continued until the candles had become thick enough. Later, tin molds were used and as many as six, eight, or more candles could be made at once. The melted tallow was poured into the molds and then allowed to cool around the homemade wicks.
Homemade clothes were worn by most of the pioneers. Deerskins and pelts of fur-bearing animals often were used. Later, when the settlers began to raise sheep, the wool was sheared, washed, combed, carded, and spun into yarn. A dye was made from berries, leaves, and bark. The yarn was dyed before it was woven into cloth on a loom. Learning to spin and weave was part of every girl's education.


Proposed Trolley Route

The Western Star, on July 16, 1908, published news of a new trolley system. The article contained information concerning a new trolley road, which was to pass through southern Warren County. There were two routes spoken of: one route was from Cincinnati to Milford, through Goshen to Pleasant Plain and Butlerville, and thence to Wilmington and Washington C.H., with an extension to Xenia. The terminus would be at Columbus.
The second route would pass from Cincinnati to Montgomery, through Maineville and Butlerville and probably Morrow and thence to Wilmington and Columbus. The approach to this project was that the road would be an air line; "the cars would be propelled by compressed air." Upon investigation of this new type of locomotion it was said (after the purchase of the new cars) the maintenance on these particular carriers would be minimal.
A meeting at Goshen, with the chief promoter, met with approval. A statement was made that as soon as the right-of-way was cleared the project would be underway. Apparently the project never got beyond the talking stage. There is no evidence of this line being routed except on paper.


Six 'Little Red' Schools are Sold


Five one-room schools in the Lebanon school district and one at Hopkinsville were sold at auction Saturday, August 17, 1940. Auctioneer Virgil Russell was in charge of the sale of five at the courthouse; the other sold in the afternoon at Hopkinsville, with Karl M. Brown being in charge.
The Merrittstown School, the location being north of Lebanon on U.S. 42, was sold to Mrs. Charles Irwin for $1,515.
Ray Lucas purchased the Greenwood School, east of Lebanon, for $420.
John Goddard was the high bidder on the Independent School at a figure of $565.
The Hart School, west of town, was sold to S.S. Baals for $775, and Albert Arthur bought the Pleasant Hill School for $550.
The Hopkinsville School was sold to Mrs. Geneva Snider, of Hopkinsville, for $1,160.


FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]

     

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the submitter, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 23 July 2004 and last updated 11 August, 2012
© 2004 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved