Warren County Local History by Dallas Bogan
|Dallas Bogan on 27 July 2004|
|Dallas Bogan, Warren County, Ohio and Beyond (Bowie Maryland: Heritage Press, 1979) page 213|
|Return to Index to see a list of other articles by Dallas Bogan|
at the time of his death, was the oldest citizen in Deerfield Township, and
was also one of the oldest native-born citizens of Warren County. He was the
eldest and last surviving child of Governor Jeremiah
and Mary Parkhill Morrow. His two brothers and four sisters reached
maturity and died in middle age of pulmonary diseases.
John Morrow was born in the pioneer cabin of his parents November 28, 1800, and died within a half mile of his birthplace November 26, 1887. His funeral took place, which if he had lived, on his 87th birthday. He had complete control of his mental faculties until his last brief illness. His father died in his 81st year and his mother died in her 70th year. They were first cousins.
He was but one year old when his father took his seat in the Territorial Legislature. The next year Governor Morrow became a member of the convention, which formed the first Constitution of Ohio.
The third year John's father was called to Washington City as the first Representative in Congress from the new State. He journeyed to Washington with his wife and their two children as far as the home of his wife's parents in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, the journey being made on two horses. John Morrow, in his fourth year, remembered the trip home, the journey being made on the Ohio River. He remembered being on a large boat with his parents, several other persons, and a collection of horses. John's education was achieved in the log schoolhouses of the pioneers.
One of his memories was attending an old log schoolhouse directly east of the site of Twenty Mile Stand. The facility was burned to the ground during a holiday celebration when the larger boys barred out the schoolmaster.
His youth was one of hardships. Pioneer life not only affected the older generation, but also the youngsters. His father traveled back and forth to Washington as a Representative for sixteen years without missing a session. His father for the support of himself and the family depended on John, being the eldest.
In the meantime, Governor Morrow built a mill on the Little Miami River that was completed about 1812.
John was also instrumental in the operation of the mill at different times. He engaged himself in hauling flour from the mill to Cincinnati over the ungraveled and bridgeless roads, which at times were virtually impassable. Commonplace at that time, the teamsters who did not bring market produce were to remain overnight on the public landing at the river. Rather than spend a night at the river, John preferred to stay at Walnut Hills, which at the time consisted of only one dwelling.
When a little boy, he was frequently sent to the nearest post office which was at the time located in Lebanon. The post office in Montgomery was opened in 1812, which made the trip much closer. Twenty Mile Stand established a post office in 1819. It was this year that John and his eldest sister made a horseback journey over the Allegheny Mountains to the home of his ancestors near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
John Morrow married Nancy Espy, daughter of Thomas, on March 14, 1822. Mr. Espy was one of the early pioneers of Warren County. Nancy Espy Morrow was born within a half mile of the birthplace of her husband; they were childhood playmates. Their marriage lasted fifty-nine years. Mrs. Morrow died January 6, 1881, aged 82 years.
Morrow, in 1825, became Major of the First Battalion, Second Brigade, First Division of the Ohio Militia, and afterwards was known as Major Morrow. In May 1825, Major Morrow traveled with his father to Cincinnati to officially welcome LaFayette to the State of Ohio. Major Morrow was never a contestant for high politics, although he did serve as Township Trustee, Justice of the Peace, and was one of the early directors of the Warren County Agricultural Society.
He was a supporter of John Q. Adams against Andrew Jackson. He was a Whig during the total existence of the party, and afterwards became a Republican in 1856. His first time voting was in October 1822, when his father was first elected Governor. His religious faith relied upon the United Presbyterian Church.
He was revered by his fellow man as one of high standards and honesty. His judgment was sound, and he was one of the most respected men in his community. He was not a man of wealth, but always had enough to pay his debts. He always gave generously to educational and religious causes. He assisted in the erection of Maineville Academy and was the last president of its board.
NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the submitter, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.
This page created 27 July 2004 and last updated
28 September, 2008
© 2004 Arne H Trelvik All rights reserved