Warren County Local History by Dallas Bogan
|Dallas Bogan on 6 August 2004|
|original article by Dallas Bogan|
|Return to Index to see a list of other articles by Dallas Bogan|
An issue of The Western Star, dated April 25, 1940, recalls past events that could possibly be of interest to Warren Countians. I shall draw from the actual write-ups as they appeared.
En Route to Columbus and Thence to Lakes. - Mr. Dickens and Lady passed through this place on Wednesday, on their way to Columbus and thence to the Lakes. Mr. D. has been traveling, for two weeks past, very quietly to the West, visiting Cincinnati, Louisville and St. Louis, with intermediate towns. And we have been gratified to observe the total absence of all that parade and syncophancy which characterized his reception in the Eastern cities. It will give us a better opinion of ourselves, if even Mr. Dickens should not think the better of us for it. - Lebanon Star, April 22, 1842.
Banquet Held at Golden Lamb in '87; Dr. Wright Was President. - On Oct. 25, 1887, the Lebanon Medical Society celebrated its 50th anniversary with a banquet at the Lebanon House. The committee arranging the notable event was composed of Drs. S.S. Scoville, J.L. Mounts, E.J. Tichenor and E.D. Stevens. Officers elected included president Dr. Wright, of Red Lion; vice president, Dr. Darby, of Morrow; secretary, Dr. J.M. Couden, of Lebanon; treasurer, Dr. Tichenor, of Lebanon. The board of censors included Dr. Frost, Dr. Graham and Dr. Keever, of Springboro. This is the oldest medical society in the state of Ohio.
Section lays South of Middle Portion of Former Shaker Tract. - Beedle's Station has been regarded by local historians as the first permanent settlement in Warren County and the first to which women and children were brought. The section on which William Beedle settled lies south of the middle portion of the large tract long owned by the Shakers and is five miles southwest of Lebanon. The block house is described by old settlers as built of round logs. It stood on the east side of a small stream called Station Creek, not far from where the railroad now crosses the old Hamilton Road and about ninety rods north of an old hewed log Methodist Church erected at a later day. A large proportion of the emigrants to the Miami Valley were Presbyterians and the Turtle Creek Presbyterian built about 1798, a mile north of Beedle's Station, was one of the first churches in Warren County. Not long after the pastor and many of the members became Shakers and in 1805 formed themselves into the first Shaker community west of the Alleghenies. Beedle's Station was first settled Sept. 21, 1795.
The first house of Lebanon, which became the first tavern, was a hewed log house built by Ichabod Corwin in the spring of 1800. It stood near the center of the town-plat on the east of Broadway, between Mulberry and Silver streets. It was purchased by Ephriam Hathaway with about ten acres surrounding it and became known as the Black Horse Tavern. This log house stood until 1826. It was the place of holding courts also until 1805 when a Courthouse was built on the site now occupied by the Town Hall. At an early date Ephriam Hathaway continued his business in a large brick building which he erected on the site now occupied by the Lebanon Citizens National Bank. This building was later known as the Hardy House.
The printing office of this establishment will next week be removed to the upper part of the brick house on the southeast corner of Broadway and Silver streets and immediately north of Mr. Probasco's watch making and jewelry shop. In consequence of this change we have anticipated the hour of publication. - Western Star, March 31, 1827.
One of the Most Commodious Places in Western Country. - The undersigned, formerly the proprietor of the "Williamson House," has rented for a term of years the Lebanon House, long known as the "Golden Lamb Hotel." The house has been thoroughly repaired, and is now one of the commodious public houses in the western country. The house is well supplied with new beds and bedding, and all the furniture necessary for a public house. The subscriber flatters himself that his table will, at all times, be furnished in such style as to give general satisfaction to all who may patronize him. Connected with the house is a large brick stable, which is, at all times, filled with the best grain and hay the country produces; and attentive hostlers always at hand. The subscriber's experience in keeping a public house, he deems a sufficient recommendation, and to his old customers it is enough to inform them that he may, at all times be found ready and willing (as heretofore) to attend to their wants at the above stand. - Western Star, August 6, 1847.
The new hotel was thrown open at the public last Thursday (Feb. 20). About
200 persons, including many ladies, called on the new landlords to make their
acquaintance, and see how things were going to be "done up." A free
dinner was served to those who wished to partake of it. The callers were shown
through the house by Mr. A.L. Ross, from sidewalk to roof,
who were of the opinion that the Messrs. Fishers have decidedly
fitted up the house in a first class manner, with new and elegant carpets, furniture
in sets and all the necessary appointments to complete a comfortable boarding
It is located on Main near Broadway. - Western Star, Feb. 27, 1873.
James Whitcomb Riley at Golden Lamb on November 16, 1883.
- James Whitcomb Riley was a guest at the Lebanon House Friday
evening, Nov. 16, 1883. The following is the account taken from the Western
Star of Nov. 22, 1883.
The second entertainment of the Lebanon Lecture Course was given Friday evening by James Whitcomb Riley, the Hoosier poet and literateur. The attendance was fair, but not so large as it should have been. Mr. Riley, arrayed in evening dress with cut- away coat, was introduced by Mr. Chas. E. Hamilton and proceeded to entertain the audience in a most agreeable manner. He is a humorist of rare power and fully sustained his reputation as a mirth-provoking speaker. As a mimic he succeeds most admirably. The best selections he gave, according to our notion, were the examples of the Hoosier dialect and the eastern educator, addressing the primary department of a country school. He closed with an inimitable presentation of a boy telling a bear story. Altogether Mr. Riley's entertainment must be set down as one of the most enjoyable of the season.
A school of Young Ladies, under the direction of Harry Boll,
will be opened in the village of Lebanon in the first week of March, next. It
is designed to be of an elevated character, and to embrace as thorough and extensive
a course of education as any similar institution in the West. The public may
be assured of its permanence, and that every effort, which long experience and
teaching can suggest, will be employed to render it worthy of general confidence
and patronage. Boarding for pupils from a distance can be obtained in responsible
families, at prices as low as at any other school in the vicinity.
Reference may be made to Hon. Thomas Corwin, Rev. J.T. Robinson, J.M. Starbuck, M.D., or Wm. M. Charters, M.D. - February 10, 1843.
Matthew M. Roberson, barber to the rightful sovereign of the land the people. "My water is warm, my towels are clean, Walk in and try a razor keen." His shop is four doors north of Mrs. Share's Hotel. May 30, 1834. - Western Star.
The subscriber respectfully informs his friends and the public in general, that he has come to anchor in his Cabinet Shop on Main street, Lebanon, one door west of the Clerk's office, and nearly opposite Mr. William Ferguson' Tavern. - March 29, 1828. WILLIAM M. WILES.
Eliza Corwin is Born at Family Homestead near School Building. - There is now almost forgotten as to who was the first white child born within Lebanon. Josiah Morrow wrote in 1913 that the first white child born here is believed to have been Eliza Corwin, daughter of Ichabod Corwin. She was born at the family homestead August 25, 1797. When the town was laid out in 1802 the Corwin home was outside the town confines and stood on the location now occupied by the high school building. She died in 1822 and was the only child of Ichabod Corwin to precede him in death. Within the confines of the early Lebanon the first white child born was Katherine Hurin, daughter of Silas Hurin. She was born November 27, 1800, at the Hurin house.
No. 89 Main Street, Lebanon, Ohio. - We would announce to the public that the above named house is now opened for the reception of guests. Terms $2 a day. - October 5, 1871.
The undersigned offers for sale, for cash or in exchange of land, or property in Lebanon, the Tavern in Mason known as the "Mason Hotel." It is a spacious building conveniently situated and well calculated for a public house. The stables and out-houses are convenient and substantial. Attached to the premises is a lot of one acre of ground. The payments will be made easy. Western Star, Feb. 4, 1842. - David P. Egbert.
Came to my tavern in this place on the 20th ult. James Smith a shoemaker, took boarding a few days and then cut a stick. Also about a week afterwards James Henry, who gave out in speeches that he was a tanner and a man of great consequences - required more waiting on than the Duke of Saxe Weimer, and then gave me the go by. These fellows are in the habit of going from place to place taking lodgings and then slipping off without paying their bills. - Thomas Smith, Lebanon, July 26, 1826.
NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the submitter, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.
This page created 6 August 2004 and last updated
28 September, 2008
© 2004 Arne H Trelvik All rights reserved