Warren County Local History by Dallas Bogan
|Dallas Bogan on 10 August 2004|
|original article by Dallas Bogan|
|Return to Index to see a list of other articles by Dallas Bogan|
There was in 1817 a newspaper published in Lebanon by George Smith,
called "The Farmer." It was a small sheet, eleven and one-half by
seventeen and one-half inches, and four columns to the page.
Its first issue was printed in December 1816. The title page carried the motto, "He is the freeman whom the truth makes free, and all are slaves besides." - Cowper.
The editorial page carried at its head a spread eagle, and below the motto, "The people's friend, the tyrant's foe."
Cost for this paper was given as:
"One dollar and fifty cents cash per annum, if paid within four weeks after subscribing, two dollars within six months, or three dollars if payment is neglected until the expiration of one year.
"Fifty cents will be added if sent by private post.
"A failure to give notice of a discontinuance at the end of the time subscribed for will be considered as a new engagement.
"Flour, bacon, pork, flax, linen, linsey, sugar, rags, butter, wood, corn, corn meal, poultry, wool, etc., will be received on subscription delivered at the office, at the market price."
(The writer will at this time try to deliver some of the news in the paper that seems important. The data runs from 1816 up to the year 1825.)
Some of the businessmen in Lebanon at this time were: William Woodward, piano maker; Charles Fye, Taylor; Wallace Bratton, dry goods; Alanson Hill, Taylor; Christopher Earenfight, tobacco manufacturer; Henry Adams, Jr, saddler; Jacob Schwing, copper manufacturer; William Lowry, dry goods merchant; Brown & Corwin, general store; N.M. Lane & Co., general store. On Broadway, J. Keenan kept a tavern, which was called from the sign, "Cross Keys."
J.& S. Perry were brewers on Main Street at Cincinnati, and were offering to buy barley at sixty-two and one-half cents per bushel. Their advertisement says that they will need ten thousand bushels per year for a number of years, and will pay that price.
T.E. Graham, Isaac Stubbs and David Fox are mentioned as having mills on the Little Miami. Benjamin Rue advertised for sale or rent a large and elegant white house on Broadway.
Jacob Schwing, as a copper manufacturer, advertised that he has commenced business "in the log house adjoining Ichabod Corwin's new brick building." He was ready to deliver "stills, boilers, fullers' and hatters' kettles, stew kettles, tea kettles, etc."
The subject of farm improvements was given by John Gustin in the 1817 paper. It read: "I will sell eighty, one hundred or two hundred acres of land, lying within three miles of Lebanon.
"On the eighty and one hundred acre tracts there are eight acres cleared on each, and on the two hundred acre tract fifty acres are under improvements, with a good orchard."
Also in 1817, Canby and Wooley were druggists and their store was located on Main Street. C. Kesling kept a general merchandise store in what was known as the "White House."
It was located on Broadway and was formerly occupied as a store by Wallace Bratton, and later, by E. Hathaway.
The following advertisement was published October 26, 1817:
"Six Cents Reward.
"Run away from the subscriber, on the 4th day of September, 1814, an indented apprentice to the potting business, by the name of William Seward, now aged about 18 years. The above reward, but no charges, will be given for delivery of said boy to George Foglesong."
In 1824, Obadiah Hackney advertised that he had obtained a patent for a new construction of plows, calculated particularly to run without a coulter.
William Frost, as early as September, 1825, was here with his shoe manufactory.
As early as 1825, the "Jackson Guards," were drilling in Lebanon with Abraham Phillips as Captain.
Captain David Fox was head of another Warren County militia company called the "Warren Blues."
An election was held on October 15, 1825, for the purpose of electing a Second Lieutenant, to fill the vacancy of Isaac Dougherty, resigned.
A steam powered fulling mill was established by James C. Irwin about November 1825, to be set up at Robert Porter's mill, adjacent to Lebanon.
A publication of taxes due on September, 6, 1825, has a selection of the rates involved. Each 100 acres of 1st rate land was taxed $2.00; 2nd rate land was taxed $1.50; 3rd rate land was taxed $1.00.
Anderson & Gullink were hat manufacturers. William Russell & Co. conducted a fulling mill, and their work was advertised as a horse mill.
NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the submitter, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.
This page created 10 August 2004 and last updated
28 September, 2008
© 2004 Arne H Trelvik All rights reserved