Warren County Local History by Dallas Bogan
|Dallas Bogan on 14 September 2004|
|original article by Dallas Bogan|
|Return to Index to see a list of other articles by Dallas Bogan|
The Warren County Record inserted an article in its paper in 1902, which has a great amount of information concerning early Lebanon businesses. Many of the names will be identifiable to most Lebanonites. It will now be transcribed as originally written.
The people then were happier, because more contented, than now. The business
was not so great in magnitude, and the goods and wares sold were not so elegant
nor so high-priced. It was a day when we had no ready-made clothes, and our
boots were built here at home.
The tailor and the boot-maker did all the business in their lines, and the leather was produced from local tan-yards.
The undertaker made his own coffins, and the wagon-maker manufactured all the vehicles. It was a day of individual effort, and all tradesmen and factors were able to make comfortable livings.
The soap-maker was found in nearly back yard, and the candle molds were in all households. We had the hat-maker here, and all head-coverings were of Lebanon make. The business of the town will be of interest to the present generation because of these distinctive features.
As far back as 1836, we find William Roof here in Hardy's brick row, a few doors east of Broadway, offering hats for sale, and among his assortment were "drab otter and beaver imitation, with green unders; black castors and rorams, first, second and third qualities, and children's jockeys and wools hats."
Jameson & Eddy were in the dry goods business, and they spoke by advertisement that they "hold forth" on Broadway, in the "White Corner," formerly owned by William Lowry.
Thomas Best in the watch and clock business at the stand formerly occupied Daniel N. Russell.
David Baker was a draper, and his tailoring establishment was "removed from the late stand on Mulberry Street to the brick building of Pomeroy Stoddard, on Broadway, a few doors south of Jameson & Eddy's store."
John P. March was a maker of wagons and coaches, and Dr. A. Grover was practicing medicine, with his office in the brick house of Mrs. Harnsburger, near the market-house.
Clark's family medicines were on sale at the store of Samuel Nixon, and George Hardy had for sale Beckwith's Anti-Dyspeptic Pills.
It seems that David Baker also conducted a hotel at this time. The proper title was a "public house." It was located in the brick building formerly occupied as his residence and shop, on Mulberry, between Broadway and Mechanic Street, a few doors east of Mr. Hardy's store.
George Bundy & Co. advertised the "Lebanon Phoenix Foundry."
Dr. Judkins's Specific Ointment could be found at the drug store conducted by George H. Harrison and Joshua Borden.
M. Peckinpaugh announces that he manufactures silk hats, and states that the silk hat has but lately become an article of general use.
G.P. Williamson, having removed to Lebanon, had taken the stand lately occupied by Esquire Sellers, and offered a stock of dry goods purchased direct from Philadelphia.
Abner L. Ross was at this time devoting his attention to horses, and M. Reeder, John VanHarlingen and N. Sharp recommended his stock.
T. Henderson, Secretary, gave a notice for a meeting of the stockholders of the Warren County Canal on Friday, the 29th of April 1836.
F. Corwin, Secretary, gives notice of a meeting of the Institute, with a lecture, on Friday evening, April 8, 1836, by George H. Harrison, and the Legislature to meet Monday, April 11, 1836, at which meeting the House will have under consideration the resolution, "Resolved, That the Bible should be made a class-book in our common schools."
While a little out of the line of the purpose of this interview to recount the foregoing notice and the one that follows, it may be of interest. It appears that on the 31st of March 1835, a large public meeting of citizens was held at the Methodist Church. J.M. Houston was Chairman, and A. McAllister was Secretary.
Judge Dunlevy offered this resolution: "Resolved, in the opinion of this meeting, that authorizing by law the vending of ardent spirits is prejudicial to the best interests of community, and ought to be abandoned."
Thomas Ross, Esq., and Judge Kesling made by Judge Dunlevy and Rev. Bishop Soule, and in opposition animated and eloquent speeches in support of the resolution. The resolution was adopted.
Williams & Collett, George J. Smith and Brown & Probasco were advertised as practicing lawyers.
Allen Wright was Auditor at the time, and he advertised for bids for plastering the new poor house.
A.H. Dunlevy stated that he had become agent in the Seventh Circuit for the "Ohio Life Insurance and Trust Company."
I.S. Drake, as Recorder, makes an exhibit of receipts and expenditures of the corporation of Lebanon from the 2nd of March 1835, to the 7th of March 1836. The receipts were $902.97, and the expenditures $790.29.
Among the items of receipts are fines, show licenses, dividend on hay scales, grocery licenses and rent of Town Hall; in the expenditures, President's services, $13.59; Marshal's services in 1834, $4; William Sinnard, Marshal's services for 1835, $36.25.
William Russell was the Sheriff of the county. Benjamin Blackburn was a Justice of the Peace.
H. Jones appears as a schoolteacher, and he advertises in a school notice. The quarter for which he gives notice commenced on the 25th of April, 1836, and the terms of tuition were: Spelling and reading, per quarter, $2; writing and arithmetic, $2.50; grammar and geography, $3; mathematics, Latin and Greek languages, rhetoric, chemistry and philosophy, $5.
Mr. Bronson offers charts for sale. These charts were for teaching elocution and music, and were illustrated by one hundred elegant engravings.
William M. Wiles was financially embarrassed, and he went South, to New Orleans, in the hope to procure means to settle his indebtedness. He failed in this, and issued a manifesto to his creditors announcing this fact. The advertisement was headed, "New Orleans Experiment Defunct."
Many of our readers will recall Judge Mickle. At one time he lived in Roachester, and while there he kept a house of entertainment. His tavern possessed the classical and patriotic name of the "Goddess of Liberty."
A little later, and in 1841, we find Samuel Perrott in the carpet manufacturing business on South street, a little west of the turnpike bridge. He made ingrain carpets, and his loom produced a wonder in a magnificent "flowered double coverlet."
John M. Seely was selling real estate, and Anderson & Gilchrist were in the pork-packing business, in addition to their dry goods enterprise.
Lewis Chamberlain was selling carriages, coaches, chariotees, barouches, buggies and Dearborns.
M.S. Gunkle was a confectioner, and was in direct competition with Aunt Annie Williams in the catering business.
Richard Parcell was in the hardware business, and W.F. Parshall was a merchant.
Richard Cochran announces: "Public Deposits Removed! Great Excitement! Ears Up! Richard Cochran has moved up into town, and cast anchor on the corner of Broadway and Mulberry streets. He occupies the room formerly used as a law office by Governor Corwin, and above the drug store. The corner of the house looks northwest flat in the face, and is due southeast from Vorhees's store, south of Hardy's, and east of Eddy's.
"The way upstairs is a plain way; a fool could not miss it. Upstairs you will find a man ready to stick and cut cloth and make garments to fit the mortal man according to the latest and approved style and fashion."
R. Nelson & Co. kept a fancy store, and sold log cabin and hard cider pins and rattan and whale-bone for bonnets. S. Wood kept Specific Ointment and J.C. Dynes groceries for sale.
Isaiah M. Corbly was a dealer in fruits and nuts, and J.R. Klingling had a drug store.
The Lebanon Miami Banking Company had for its Directors John S. Iglehart, Thomas B. VanHorn, Robert G. Corwin, George P. Williamson, Alexander R. Jameson, Calvin Bradley, William Sellers, William Russell, Ebed Stowell, John P. Reynolds, Francis J. Tytus, Jacob Leibee and N.P. Iglehart. Richard S. Moxley was cashier, and George J. Smith attorney.
G.W. Nichols had a school for both sexes here. D. Voorhis gave notice, on January 4, 1841, of a school district meeting for Monday evening, the 18th, at which the householders were requested to be present, "to get their minds on certain matters."
At this time The Western Star had for its motto, "The herald of a noisy world."
In 1842 James K. Hurin was engaged in the grocery business, and S.D. Conwell, among other things in his apothecary shop, sold "soda and seidlitz powders, good half Spanish cigars and lemon syrup of excellent quality."
J.M. Starbuck, the Reading Secretary, gave notice of the meeting of the Lebanon Medical Society, at their rooms, on Broadway, on Tuesday, May 31.
Dr. P.K. Wombaugh had his office and dwelling at the corner of Broadway and Market street, in the house formerly occupied by Dr.'s Spinning and Bogs.
Andrew Cretors wanted good country produce in exchange for his Windsor chairs and settees. Thomas F. Brodie had a book store here, and James Frazier offered an assortment of boots and shoes, while G.J. Mayhew told the people of his supply of short moleskin nap hats.
J.R. Felton announced that he made clothing for men in the shop formerly occupied by James Graham, on Mulberry street. Gard & Furman allured customers by proclaiming:
"A little liquor is a dangerous thing; Drink deep of the pure sodiac spring."
Richard Keyte informed the inhabitants that he had commenced March 25, 1842, the baking business five doors north of Mr. Hardy's store.
Joshua Soule gave publicity to the fact that the "Lebanon Literary and Scientific Institute" would be open for pupils on Monday, April 4, 1842. The principals were Rev. J. Foster, A.M., and Rev. William Burton.
A.M. S. Lambdin, an Indian root doctor, was located on Mulberry street, three squares above Broadway.
June, Titus, Angervine & Co., proprietors of the Bowery Ampitheatre, New York, advertised their circus and caravan to show in Lebanon May 30, 1842. It had a "beautiful collection of living wild animals, comprising the stupendous giraffe, the only one now living on the American continent, the elephant, and every variety of wild beasts and reptiles." The prices were: Boxes, fifty cents; pit, twenty-five cents; children, half price.
John Conrey wants the people to consider his assortment of lumber on the Main street basin.
Egbert & Weakley advertise customers that their carriages, barouches, buggies and horses are in good condition. Simon Suydam was a practicing lawyer here.
Mrs. Hollingsworth kept a house of entertainment on Broadway, called the Hollingsworth House. J.C. Skinner was in the grocery business.
Mr. Shaeffer published his design to give, on the Fourth of July, to the ladies and gentlemen of Warren County, a Washingtonian temperance dinner. The tickets for lady and gentleman were one dollar, and single tickets seventy-five cents each. A committee was appointed, as follows: Mason, Mrs. Welton; Deerfield, Esquire Smithers; Hopkinsville, Mr. Rapp; Roachester, Esquire Trimble; Waynesville, J.M. Hadden; Ridgeville, Mr. Blair; Springboro, Mr. Thomas; Franklin, J. Greer.
With a pride that makes stiff the tendons and hardens the nature our people paraded the fact that the rye stalks here surpassed in height the same kinds of stalks in Maryland. The Baltimore Patriot, in an unguarded moment, boasted of a rye stalk five and one-half feet tall, when a farmer near Lebanon went into his rye field and found a stalk, before going ten feet that measured eight feet and seven inches. This has no direct connection with the subject, but the reader will pardon the digression, and join in the common rejoicing over Warren County's victory.
W.M. Charters seemed to be willing to accept wheat in settlement of his accounts, and directed the same to be delivered to the Whitehill, Stowell or Mathers mill. William Russell made the same offer, but he restricted the delivery to the Whitehill or Stowell mill.
He was also prepared to card wool or dress cloth. Williamson & Sackett was a firm here, and they wanted wheat in exchange for some of their accounts.
W.H. Hall held school in what was advertised as the "Cumberland basement." He added after his announcement that, if requested, he would give lessons in stenography.
NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the submitter, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.
This page created 14 September 2004 and last updated
28 September, 2008
© 2004 Arne H Trelvik All rights reserved