This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 7309 visitor since 29 May 2007 -- thanks for stopping by!

Warren County, Ohio Virtual Cemetery Project
a project of the Warren County Genealogical Society a chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society
in partnership with the Warren County OHGenWeb Project.


Miami Monthly Meeting of Friends Cemetery
Hicksite & Orthodox

south side of High Street, west of S. 4th Street
Waynesville, Warren County, Ohio
aka
Waynesville Friends Cemetery
or
Hicksite and Orthodox Friends Graveyard



Index to Available Tombstone Photos
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z [no surname] [Waynesville Friends Cemetery Home page]


looking south with Orthodox (Red Brick) Meeting house on the far left

The Miami Monthly Meeting of Friends was established on the 13th day of the 10th month,1803 being a part of the Redstone Quarterly Meeting and the Baltimore Annual Meeting. The eastern boundary was the Hocking River, the southern was the Ohio River, but there was no limit to the north or to the west. The Miami Quarterly Meeting was opened, Fifth month 1809. The building of the White Brick Meetinghouse at Waynesville was begun in 1811 to accommodate the Quarterly Meeting. In 1828, a division in philosphy was followed by withdrawals by one side or the other into so-called "Hicksite" and so called "Orthodox" branches. Further separations occurred within the Orthodox body. When the separation occurred in 1828 , the Yearly Meeting split into two bodies: Indiana Yearly Meeting Orthodox (later Friends United Meeting) and Indiana Yearly Meeting Hicksite (later Friends General Conference). At Waynesville the Hicksite body retained the White Brick Meeting House and in 1836, the Orthodox body constructed the Red Brick Meeting House.

Three extant Hicksite burial lists are held by the S. Arthur Watson Library at Wilmington College. Thanks to Patti Kinsinger, Head of the Reference Department at the library, the "Chandler-Brown" list found in Elizabeth Moore's estate has been scanned and made available on line as a pdf document at http://www2.wilmington.edu/academics/QuakerOnlineResourcesfromWatson.cfm

No Orthodox burial books are known to exist.

Location:  
  • South side of High Street, about 100 feet west of S.4th Street, starting on the west side of the Orthodox Friends [Red Brick] Meeting House in Waynesville, Ohio
  • "Ohio Cemeteries 1803-2003" by the Ohio Genealogical Society , Cemetery #12328 [Hicksite and Orthodox Friends]
  • Coordinates: +39° 31' 48.64", -84° 5' 29.90"
  • TRS: Range 4 North Township 4 East Section 6
Links:  
Transcriptions:  
  • D.A.R. Turtlecreek Chapter & Warren County Historical Society (available at the Historical Society Library)
    • Early Vital Records Volume 10, page 99-130 [copied from the Burial Book]
  • Warren County Genealogical Society
    • Currently not included in any of their publications
    • Ronnie & Sue Milby photographed all extant tombstones in March and April, 2007 for the "Warren County Virtual Cemetery" Project. Their efforts resulted in 304 records, which include a nmber of footstones and gravestone that are broken and/or illegible. All their photos have been added to this website. When a Row and Grave Number are provided, those burials are in the new or Hicksite part of the cemetery. Their efforts will be incorportated into the new cemetery books planned by the society.
Variant Names:  
  • Friends Burial Ground
  • Waynesville Friends Cemetery
  • Hicksite & Orthodox Friends Graveyard, Waynesville, Ohio [Hicksite (Orthodox) on WPA Plat #41]

   

Friends Burial Ground [New Sign added in 2007]
In 1804, Miami Monthly Meeting purchased this land to use as a graveyard. Burials were made without regard to status or family association, but rather by date of death. Some of the earliest graves are marked with a plain rock obtained from a nearby creek while later markers are typically small limestone headstones, often carved with only the individuals' names (sometimes only initials) and date of death. There is also a Revolutionary War soldier buried here, showing that the early Friends were tolerant even while maintaining the peace testimony.

When the two meetings separated in 1828, the graveyard was also divided. The sugar maple in the middle of the cemetery is on the line that goes from the street through the tree to the edge of the property. The portion between this line and the Red Brick belongs to the Wilmington Yearly Meeting, while the western portion belongs to Miami Monthly Meeting. The Hicksites began burials in 1832.

John Satterthewaite, builder of many of Waynesville's early buildings is buried in the Hicksite side, and Abijah O'Neall, the first Quaker to come to Waynesville is buried in the Orthodox side.

[The rest of the sign contains a lists of the names and dates of those buried by row and grave number]

By
Diana Linkous
25 September 2007 

Index to Available Tombstone Photos
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z [no surname] [Waynesville Friends Cemetery Home page]
[To contribute your photos email them in jpg format to Arne H Trelvik with any other details that you would like to share]

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used b anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 29 May 2007 and last updated 29 January, 2012
© 2007-2012 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved