||New Jersey Presbyterian Church Cemetery
aka Carlisle Cemetery
Carlisle, Franklin Township, Warren County, Ohio
The New Jersey Presbyterian Church was founded in 1813 with Rev. Francis Monfort
serving as the 1st pastor. A two acre parcel of land for the church and
cemetery was provided by Daniel Dubois in the spring of 1815. The first
burial in the new churchyard was the infant son of Rev. Francis Monfort but others
had been buried at the location as early as 1811. The 1st church was used
until 1867. The second church, at the same location was used from December,
1867 until it was destroyed by fire on 5 December 1920. A third church was
built at the location and remains in use today.
looking north - west side of cemetery
- 780 Farview Drive, Carlisle, OH 45005. From Central Ave (SR
123) in Carlisle, go north 1/2 block on Jamaica Rd to northwest corner
of Jamica Rd and Fairview Drive.
- "Ohio Cemeteries 1803-2003" by the Ohio
Genealogical Society , Cemetery #12223 [Carlisle-New
Jersey Presbyterian Church Cemetery]
- Coordinates: +39°35'6.31"N, - 84°19'28.78"W
- TRS: Range 5 East Township 2 Section 28
- D.A.R. Turtlecreek Chapter & Warren County
Historical Society (available at the Historical Society Library)
- Early Vital Records Volume 3, pages 61-72
- Early Vital Records Volume 25, pages 52-73
- Warren County Genealogical Society
- Not currently listed in any of the Society Cemetery
Books. See on line Name
Index provided by the Society.
- A reading of the cemetery
by Chester L. & Betty Dunn is on file at the Warren County Genealogical
- Gravestones have been photographed for the "Warren
County Virtual Cemetery" Project by Dana
Palmer of Lebanon, Ohio, by Veronica
Clark of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvainia, by Larry
W. Collins of Maineville, Ohio and by Jeff
Updyke of Port Charlotte, Florida. All their photos have been
added to this website. Their efforts will be incorportated into
the new cemetery books planned by the society.
- Other Known Transcriptions
- Chamberlain, Charles E. New Jersey Presbyterian
Church, 1813-1988, Carlisle, Ohio: 175 Years. Carlisle, Ohio
(780 Fairview Dr., Carlisle 45005): The Church, 1988. Pages 162-168.
- Carlisle Citizens, and Harriet E. Foley. Carlisle:
The Jersey Settlement in Ohio, 1800-1980. Middletown, Ohio:
Naegle-Auer Print. Co, 1980-1890. Pages 49 - 52.
[the 1990 second edition of this book contains the reading of
the cemetery by Chester L. & Betty Dunn listed above.]
- Earl Gorsuch Spreadsheet dated Feb. 2005 on file
at the Warren County Genealogical Society. Contains name, lot No.,
Grave No. and lifespan dates.
East End of Cemetery - looking northwest from Jamaica Road
New Jersey Presbyterian Church - looking northeast from
West part of Cemetery - looking north from Fariview Circle
NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren
County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication
rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may
be used b anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring
to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their
legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator
with proof of this consent.
This page created 30 May 2008 and last updated
28 December, 2013
© 2008 Arne
H Trelvik All rights reserved