This page is part of the Warren
County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our
visitor since 1 January 2005 -- thanks for stopping by!
A Glimpse of Greenwood
| Arne H Trelvik on 1 January 2005
|The schoolhouse is now a private dwelling.
Click on the thumbnail for larger
(thumbnails are generally reduced to a 100 pixel width and images to a
600 pixel width. If needed, a larger image *may be* available)
Four miles east of Lebanon, on the Wilmington road, stands a new and handsome
brick edifice, the marble slab on the front bearing the inscription, “Greenwood
School Sub-District Number Eleven, 1888.
The building is surrounded by a green level yard and in front stand four
fine large maples, also one near the west window of the house. On the
first morning in October there might have been seen, hastening to this
pleasant scene, little groups of children in response to the call of the
rich toned bell in the neat belfry. Passing through the vestibule, they
found themselves in one of the most comfortable and best furnished school-rooms.
Here they have every convenience for study, recitation, exercise and for
making and keeping clean their busy little hands and bright faces. The
furniture is of the latest style and elegantly finished and the citizens
of this district may well be proud of their new school-house with all
its pretty and convenient arrangements. And most of all should they congratulate
themselves of their good fortune in procuring so excellent a teacher as
Mrs. A. J. Mardis, of Sunny side, who has been a very
successful teacher in Montgomery county for a number of years and it is
to hoped that the parents and children of Greenwood will so appreciate
her kind instructions and the influence of her pleasant and agreeable
manners that she may be a power for good among them for many years.
Source: “A Glimpse of Greenwood,” Lebanon
(Ohio) Gazette, Thursday, October 11, 1888, p. 4, c. 3
FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]
|3 Jun 2015
updated to correct source information
NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed
on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors,
who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations.
These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or
organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent
of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren
County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent
This page created 1 January 2005 and last updated
15 June, 2015
© 2005 Arne H Trelvik
All rights reserved