This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 1103 visitor since 19 October 2007 -- thanks for stopping by!
Robison Family Obituaries
Click on the thumbnail (if any) for larger image (thumbnails are generally reduced to a 100 pixel width and images to a 600 pixel width.)
To add to the collection email your images and/or transcriptions to
Arne H Trelvik

James Thomas Robison

A Strong Man Passes Away
The Funeral of James T. Robison Held Last Friday
July 18 1901

A large company of friends and neighbors gathered on last Friday afternoon, at three o’clock, at the fine old home of the Robison’s, three miles east of Franklin, to the last tribute of respect to the late James T. Robison, who died on Thursday, July 11. The afternoon was made comfortable by a gentle breeze and it was about six o’clock when the funeral train arrived at the cemetery; the time suited well for the burial hour of the one who had lived far past the noon of life and into its evening.

Among those present at the service at the house were all the children of Mr. Robison with the exception of Mrs. Corbin who was kept by ill health in North Carolina; several of the grandchildren; Dr. and Mrs. Richards, Dr. William Hutcheson, whose wife was a niece of Mrs Robison’s wife; Mr. Sears, of Dayton; Mrs. Homer Wilson, Mrs. John Death, Mr. George Rossman and his mother, Mr. Eden Thirkield; Mrs. Ed. Thirkield, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Michael, Mr. Perrine of Dayton, Mrs. William Roof, Dr. Williams; and a numerous company from the surrounding country.

Mr. Robison’s home, a fine old house, is beautifully situated on a knoll half way between the two main roads and is surrounded by a large and well-kept lawn. The farm land is in superior condition, and shows the supervisions of a master of agriculture. It is quite an ideal country home.

The services were in charge of the Rev. Calvin D. Wilson, assisted by Dr. William Hutcheson and Dr. Richards. M.J. Farr was the undertaker. After the reading of the Scripture Lesson, Dr. Richards made a sympathetic and touching prayer. The first address was made by Dr. Wilson. The substance of his remarks were as follows:

Mr. James Thomas Robison had attained the good old age of seventy-seven years and dies July 10th, 1901 at 7:45 a.m. in the same room in which he had been born. Fifty years ago last February he was married by Rev. Dr. Harper, then of Xenia, Ohio, to Miss Grizellah Law of the same town. Mrs. Robison accompanied him on the journey of life for forty years, dying about ten years ago. Eight children, grown to manhood and womanhood, survive him. Mr. Robison united about fifty years ago with the Dick’s Creek Presbyterian Church, and sometime afterward transferred his membership to the Franklin church of which he has ever since been an earnest and strong supporter.

It is a great privilege to the man himself, and a wonderful blessing to his friends and family when one is permitted in the providence of God to live one his life to a ripe old age, in possession of his faculties and a degree of health and usefulness and to come to his grave like a shock of corn fully ripe. In the briefer lives, that one cut down in the midst of their years, that do not have opportunity to fulfill their promise, there always seems to human sight something of failure, of incompleteness, and of tragedy in their end.

But when the full term of years has been filled, when the work has been done, when the fruit has been borne and the harvest gathered the human fitness has been accomplished. And few men have been as much blessed in this regard as the good Christian man, father, friend, citizen and neighbor for whose loss we all mourn to-day. Born in the room where his life also ended, having enjoyed all his life long the pleasant surroundings of this goodly home, having been endowed by nature with an active and energetic temperament, being possessed of sound health, having been under Christian influences from birth and voluntarily early in life having given his heart to God, having been successful in his business enterprises, enjoying the companionship of his beloved wife for a period of forty years, having been successful in rearing a large family of children and seeing them all Christians and living useful and upright lives, having his life brightened by numerous grandchildren, having been surrounded by the affectionate attention of his children during his decline and final illness, he may be considered indeed to have been eminently blessed in his life. To him God was good.

He was a man of marked individuality, with strong convictions as to right and duty, with unshakable faith in Christianity, with a great love for the universal church, for the denomination of which he was a member and for the particular church whose roll his name was as a communicant, with an active interest in the affairs of the country and the affairs of the neighborhood. He held the highest ideas of honest and right living, and practiced his own beliefs. He believed in the simple, every day virtues as of the greatest importance, and fundamental to all success and usefulness. Industrious, energetic, truthful, honorable, clean in life, he lived in the fear and love of God. He loved his church, was while physically able to do so a regular and interested attendant upon public worship, and gave large sums of money for the building of the new church and took an active interest in its construction.
He was a loyal and faithful friend of the pastors of his church, and was always ready to assist us by his counsels, and to help us in our work. Personally, I mourn for him as for a steadfast friend who never swerved in his good will and kindness since I first met and new (knew) him. His home was always open, and a kind reception was guaranteed, and he was a frequent visitor at the parsonage where we had many long talks together.

He was a useful citizen, taking an active part for many years in the furthering of every good cause and ind (in) the conflict with evil or with what he held to be dangerous policies or influences.

He was a model parent, holding his children in the core of his heart, carrying them always in his thoughts and planning earnestly for their welfare and future good, rearing them under careful supervision, giving them all liberal opportunities for education, and training them in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

He was charitable toward the poor, liberal in his associations and in his gifts toward other churches than his own, kindly in judgment, genial in disposition, of a social temperament, delighting in conversing with his friends and fellowmen.

We mourn for him, giving our prayers and sympathies to the sons and daughters and other relatives in their loss, mourning as neighbors, friends, fellow Christians, and pastors. We rejoice that God was so good to him, and that he has gone to his rest after a life well lived, to well earned repose. Farewell kind friend, good father, loving grandparent, genial neighbor, strong ally of the church, farewell upon earth.

Dr. Hutcheson gave some tender reminiscences of his relations with Mr. Robison, during his long pastorate in the Franklin Presbyterian Church. Dr. Richards added words of appreciation of the virtues of Mr. Robison. The services at the house were concluded with prayer by Dr. Wilson.

The arrangements at the cemetery were marked by the pleasing absence of earth which had been taken from the grave, this having been removed to another spot and placed out of sight of the company. And in the quiet of the beautiful summer evening, with the reading of the internment service by Dr. Wilson and a brief prayer and benediction by Dr. Richards, the earthly remains of a good and useful man were laid away in the cemetery to await the final resurrection.

Source: The Franklin [Ohio] Chronicle, July 18, 1901
Copy from the Obituary Collection at the Warren County Genealogical Society,
406 Justice Drive, Lebanon, OH 45036-2349, (513) 695-1144 - WCGS@co.warren.oh.us

by
Jim Atchison
19 October 2007


FOOTNOTES: [email any additional information or comments that you would like to include to Arne H Trelvik ]
   

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 19 October 2007 and last updated 20 October, 2007
© 2007  Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved