This page is part of Shaker section of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 4539 visitor since 27 Oct 2004 -- thanks for stopping by!
Union Village and the Shakers of Warren County, Ohio
SOME DATES WHEN UNION VILLAGE HISTORICAL THINGS HAPPENED
Katherine Lollar Rowland has agreed to serve as the webmaster for the Shaker pages on the Warren County Ohio GenWeb.
Please contact Katherine at Kathworld@aol.com with your suggestions or contributions for this page.
Return to Shaker Home Page

March 22, 1805: The three Shaker missionaries (Isaacher Bates, Benjamin S. Youngs, and John Beacham) arrived at Malcolm Worley's home.
March 27, 1805: Malcolm Worley was converted to Shakerism.
April 24, 1805: Richard McNemar was converted - others in his household, including his wife, Jenny, also became Shakers. A year earlier, April 24, 1804, the Turtle Creek Presbyterian Church entered into the Schismatic or New Light faith.
May 23, 1805: The first Shaker meeting was held at the home of David Hill, which was located near the old Turtle Creek Church. "The first Shaker song that was ever recordered was composed and sung on this occasion - led by their singing preacher, Richard McNemar." P. 49 (P. 47): Turtle Creek was the leading church in Ohio at that time.
July 20, 1805: Elder David Darrow, Solomon King, and Daniel Mosely were sent from New York and arrived at Turtle Creek on July 20, 1805. They were major leadershop.
July 26, 1805: Rev. John Dunlavy became a convert, as did his wife, Cassie McNemar, Richard's sister.
July 31, 1806: "On July 31, 1806, Eldress Ruth Farrington, who had been appointed First in the Ministry , along with Elder David Darrow before leaving New York, with Sisters Martha Sanford, Lucy Smith, Prudence Farrington, Molly Goodrich and Ruth Darrow, and Brothers Peter Pease, Samuel Turner, Constant Mosely and John Wright arrived from New Lebanon to constitute the official family of the Western Shakers." p. 53. Ruth Farrington died on October 28, 1821.
October 22,1806: The Union Village Elders/Eldresses moved to the South House as their headquarters.
1806 - Straight Creek, Brown Co., Oh - Closed in 1811
1806 - Eagle Creek, Brown Co., Oh - Closed 1811
1806 - Watervliet, Ohio, Shaker Community begun. Closed 1900
1806 - Pleasant Hill, Ky., Shaker Community begun. Closed 1910
1807 - South Union, Ky., Shaker Community begun. Closed 1922
1807 - Saw mill built
August 12, 1807- McNemar and Bates visited Indians
1808 - West Union, Ind., Shaker Community begun. Closed 1827
1808 - A second saw mill built

Richard McNemar's first book, The Kentucky Revival, was printed in Cincinnati and reprinted at least a half dozen times. This was the first bound book of the Shakers.

December 31, 1808: The first large Shaker book, The Testimony of Christ's Second Appearing, written at Union Village "by order of the ministry" was printed on the presses of The Western Star Newspaper in Lebanon, then owned by John McLean. There were several revisions later. The third edition was the work of Elders Benjamin S. Youngs, and McNemar at Union Village in 1823. UV Shakers had bought a printing press on May 22, 1823, with which to print this work.
January 8, 1809: The first meeting-house of the Western Shakers was built at Union Village in 1808, and the first meeting was held there on January 8, 1809.
1810 - Center House built; 1891-92 remodeled to Victorian style by Shakers. Now Marble Hall.
1810, 1812, 1813, 1817, 1819, 1824, 1850: Mobs at Union Village.
January, 1811,
until late April
part of the Straight and Eagle Creek Shakers (80 families) were moved to West Union (Busro); 70 families moved to Union Village.
1813 - "Millenial Praises" was the first Shaker Hymnal published in 1813.
1820 - Richard McNemar and Frances Bedle's Curse on Lebanon, blessing on Dayton.
1822 - White Water, Ohio, Shaker Community begun. Closed 1916.
1822 - North Union, Ohio, Shaker Community begun. Closed 1889.
1825, June 27 - Death of "Father" David Darrow.

 

Union Village, the leading center of western Shakerism, was the first Shaker Community in the "West." From Union Village missionaries went out and started all of the other Western Shaker Communities. It also served as the headquarters for the West. In 1818 its population was 634. Through the years Union Village had a total of more members than any other Shaker community. One other Shaker community had more Shakers at one time than Union Village.

1833 - The second book of hymns to be published was McNemar's A Selection of Hymns and Poems, for the use of Believers, by "Philos Harmonae," a pseudonym of Richard McNemar, which was published at Watervliet, Ohio, in 1833. Another pseydonym of Richards was Eleazar Wright.
February 14, 1836: Elder Solmon King resigned. Freegift Wells, of Watervliet, New York, appointed first in ministry at Union Village. He arrived at UV on April 27. He was a problem to Richard.
September 15, 1839: Richard McNemar died.

 

Union Village Shakers were a place of refuge - a part of the Underground Railroad.

 

1844 - Date on present Bethany Hall. Begun in 1842; finished in 1845-46. Shakers made over a million bricks on their land for it. Called Center Brick or Center House.
1845 - May, - Jehovah's cChosen Square site prepared by Union Village. "The site chosen at Union Village was the garden area of Richard McNevar's home" "It was a half-acre in area. . ."
1891-1892, present Marble Hall was remodeled to Victorian in style to interest more in becoming Shakers.
1897-1898 - Union Village (Slingerland) purchased two pre-Civil War plantations on the Altamaha River - Altama and Hopeton and more than 7,000 adjacent acres (many acres involved) but "by end of 1902 the entire Georgia enterprise had folded." Called White Oak.
October 14, 1912: Articles of Incorporation signed by Otterbein Home.
October 15, 1912: Land Contract signed with the Shakers for Sales to Church of the United Brethren in Christ for a home for both children/young people and older persons.
November 19, 1912: Constitution adopted and Board of Trustees appointed.
December, 1912: first Shaker women missionaries came from Canterbury to care for the older Shakers here.
March 5, 1913: Title transfer without any money changing hands. Land and Buildings all turned over. Remaining Shakers lived here in Marble Hall.
April 3, 1913: First woman member admitted to Otterbein. Two others came in April.
May 1, 1913: First six children arrived as Residents.
May 13, 1917: General Conference of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ approved the purchase of Union Village of the 4,005 acres.
1912 to July, 1920: The Union Village Shakers lived in Marble Hall. Only three Shakers remained until then; they went with the three or four missionaries to Canterbury to live.

# # # #


Return to Shaker Home Page

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 28 September and last updated 17 February, 2005
© 2004-2005 Katherine Lollar Rowland & Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved