This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our 7595 visitor since 12 May 2005 -- thanks for stopping by!
Monuments and Historical Markers
Photos of just a few of the many monuments and historical markers located in Warren County.
Please add to the collection by emailing your images to Arne H Trelvik

Bullskin Trace, Icabod Corwin Monument, Thomas Corwin Monument, John Evans House, Harmon Hall, Lebanon Academy, Lebanon Town Plat, General Robert E. Lee, Justice John McLean, Mounts Station, Tharp House, Union Village, Woodhill Cemetery Civil War Memorial,

Our thanks to Al Wolf for the link to the "Historical Markers Data Base" at http://www.hmdb.org/
The Warren County entries in the database can be viewed at http://www.hmdb.org/results.asp?County=Warren%20County&State=Ohio

NOTE: Click on thumbnails for larger Images
To minimize download times, thumbnails are reduced to a 100 pixel width and photos to a 600 pixel width. A higher resolution photo may be available.
 

Bullskin Trace
Hatton Lukens Park, Harveysburg, Ohio

Approximately 1/2 mile east of this point lies the Bullskin Trace. It was an Indian trail that led from the Ohio River to Detroit, Michigan. It was used by such notables as Daniel Boone, Simon Kenton and Tecumseh. It was designated a public highway February 4, 1807, and named the Xenia State Road. It was used during the War of 1812 to transport supplies and troops from the Ohio River to the Great Lakes area. It was also part of the Underground Railroad System.

Dallas R. Bogan [also see article by Dallas, "Bullskin Trace Existed Through Warren County"]
The Warren County Historical Society

by
Arne H Trelvik
 

Ichabod Corwin Monument

Upon this site in March 1796
Ichabod Corwin
Erected the First Cabin on
Land Which Is now Lebanon, Ohio

This tablet placed by Turtle Creek Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1962

by
Arne H Trelvik
 

Ohio Historical Marker
Thomas Corwin
(1794-1865
)

One of the most effective political orators of his era, Tom Corwin (nicknamed "the Wagon Boy" for his War of 1812 service) resided here from 1839 until his death. A Whig stump speaker known for his wit and eloquence, he was elected governor of Ohio in 1840 and campaigned for William henry Harrison in his presidential victory that year. Corwin servied six terms in Congress and one in the Senate, where he spoke out against the Mexican War in 1847. He also served as secretary of the treasury in the Fillmore administration and as PResident Lincoln's minister to Mexico.
Built and first occupied by Corwin's brother-in-law Phineas Ross in 1818, the Corwin House is representative of Federal-style architecture of this period.

The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Recovery Services of Warren and Clinton Counties, The Ohio Historical Society
2002

by
Arne H Trelvik
  Thomas Corwin Monument
at
Lebanon Cemetery
by
Arne H Trelvik
 

Ohio Historical Marker
JOHN EVANS HOUSE

David and Rachel Burnet Evans built this Federal style house in 1836. Their son, Dr. John Evans (1814-1897), nationally known physician, statesman, and educator, lived here as a young man. After graduating from Lynn Medical College in Cincinnati, Dr. Evans became a prominent physician in Indiana and helped establish the Indiana Hospital for the Insane. He is recognized as one of the founders and first president of Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. He was appointed by President Abraham Lincoln as the first governor of the Colorado Territory and is credited for developing the railroad system in Colorado. His desire to institute a system of higher education in the territory led to the founding of Colorado Seminary later known as Denver University. Evanston, Illinois and Mr. Evans near Denver were named in his honor.

Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company
Village of Waynesville
Historic Preservation Board
The Ohio Historical Society
2002

by
Arne H Trelvik
 

Harmon Hall

In 1913 Harmon Hall was built as a recreational facility by Lebanon-born William E. Harmon. It became a YMCA in 1945. It was leased to the Warren County Historical Society in 1961 for its museum. The society bought the hall in 1981 and built an addition. It is now a nationally acclaimed county museum.

Lebanon Rotary Club - Chartered 1920

by
Arne H Trelvik
 

Lebanon Academy (front)

The Lebanon Academy school was opened in 1844. Built in the Greek Revival style, it has a pediment roof, and three column-like brick piers. In 1854, an attempt to make it a school of science failed. The first session of the Southwestern Normal School began here in 1855. A college for training teachers, it was founded by Alfred Holbrook.

Lebanon Academy (back)

The college was soon known as the National Normal University. The academy was part of it until 1895. In 1900, it was sold at public auction for $2,125. In 1913, it was rented to the Lebanon Village Schools. They bought it in 1920, and held elementary classes here for nearly 50 years. The academy was purchased by the city in 1975.

Lebanon Rotary Club - Chartered 1920

by
Arne H Trelvik
 

Lebanon Town Plat

Lebanon was laid out in September of 1802 by four pioneer settlers. Cradled by the forks of Turtle Creek, 100 lots were carved out of the wild, primitive forest. At the time, there were only two cabins in the plat. The boundaries were what are now Silver, South, Water and the alley between Cherry and East streets.

Lebanon Rotary Club - Chartered 1920

by
Arne H Trelvik

General Robert E. Lee

located at Corner of Dixie Highway and Hamilton-Middletown Road, Franklin Twp, Warren County, Ohio [Latitude 39° 32' 42" N; Longitude 84° 18' 56" W]

Erected and Dedicated by the
United Daughters of the Confederacy
And friends
In loving memory of
Robert E. Lee
And to mark the route of the
Dixie Highway

“The shaft memorial and Highway straight
attest his worth – He cometh to his own”
                                         -Littlefield-
Erected 1927

by
Larry C. Collins
20 September 2009
 

Ohio Historical Marker
Justice John McLean
1785-1861

Having settled in the Ridgeville area with his father, Justice McLean, in 1799, Justice John McLean was appointed to the United States Supreme Court in 1829 by President Andrew Jackson. He was best known for his anti-slavery dissenting opinion in the famous Dred Scott case. Founder of the Western Star, former Postmaster General, Congressman, and candidate for President. Justice McLean served on the Supreme Court until his death in 1861
1992 Warren County Board of Commissioners
and
The Ohio Historical Society

1-83

by
Arne H Trelvik
  MORROW
founded 1845
Named in Honor of
Governor Jeremiah Morrow
Ohio's 9th Governor
by
Arne H Trelvik
8 Aug 2011
 

Mounts Station

The first Settlement of the Virginia Military Lands in Warren County was located a short distance west of here by William Mounts in 1795. Dedicated October 6, 1940

[This monument is located in Hamilton Township on the east side of Stubbs Mills Road a short distance north of Route 22 & 3 in Military Survey #520]

also See Mounts Cemetery

by
Arne H Trelvik
 

The Tharp House

The house at 9 and 11 East Main Street may be the oldest building still standing in Lebanon. Located on Lot No. 1, it was built between 1807 and 1814. In less than 20 years Lebanon grew from a frontier settlement, with fewer than 10 men in1803, to a thriving village of nearly 2,000 citizens in 1820

Lebanon Rotary Club - Chartered 1920

by
Arne H Trelvik

Ohio Historical Marker (front)
Union Village
1805-1912
Union Village, the first and largest Shaker (United Society of Beliervers) community west of the Allegheny Mountains, was established in 1805. Nearly 4,000 Shakers lived in Union Village, the last living here until 1920. They owned 4,500 acres of land with more than 100 buildings. Union Village was parent to other communities in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, and Georgia. Shakers were among the most successful religious communal societies in the United States. Belief in the equality of men and women, separation of sexes, confession, communal ownership of property and celibacy helped define their society. The name "Shaker" was derived from the shaking and dancing that were part of their worship. Union Village Shakers were successful entrepreneurs selling herbal medicines, garden seeds and brooms. They also raised and bred Poland China hogs, Durham cattle, and Merino sheep.
1997 Otterbein-Lebanon Retirement Community
and
The Ohio Historical Society
2-83

Ohio Historical Marker (rear)
Union Village
1805-1912

Shaker buildings still extant:
1810 Trustees' Office (now Marble Hall)
1844 Center House (now Bethany Hall)
1893 Engine/Boiler House

Union Village was purchased by the United brethren in Christ Church in 1912. The site was a home for children from 1913-1963, and a retirement center for adults from 1913 to the present. It is related to the United Methodist Church.

1997 Otterbein-Lebanon Retirement Community
and
The Ohio Historical Society
2-83
by
Arne H Trelvik

Civil War Veteran's Memorial,
Section 10 Lot 1
[39° 32' 50" N; 84° 19' 11" W]

Woodhill Cemetery, Franklin Twp, Warren County, Ohio

Presented to
John Kell Post
G. A. R. No. 241
By
Hon. W. L. DeChant
Memorial Day
May 30, 1903

See List of Burials

by
Larry C. Collins
20 September 2009 
   

Warren County Veteran's Memorial, Lebanon, Ohio

Bob & Wendy Askin have submitted a link to a photo of  the Warren County (Ohio) Veterans Memorial that is available at http://www.panoramio.com/photo/10258096

18 January 2021


FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]

   

NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the submitter, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 12 May 2005 and last updated 19 August, 2012
© 2005-2012 Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved