Oregonia Cornet Band

(click on thumbnail for larger image)


Contributer:
Photo contributed by Vivian Combs Moon on 20 Oct 2003
Source:
 
Comments:

Undated photo was taken in Lebanon Ohio. "Hat Badges, Oregonia, Ohio" is written on the back
The photo appears to have been taken at the fairgrounds with a grandstand in the background to the left and perhaps (?) a gazebo in the background to the right. CAN ANYONE PUT NAMES TO THE INDIVIDUAL MUSICIANS?

Related Links:
Warren County Agricultural Society and Fair

The same photo appears on page 68 of The Centennial Atlas of Warren County, Ohio published by the Centennial Atlas Association in 1903. The text accompanying the photo in the atlas is transcribed below courtesy of Vivian Combs Moon

"The Oregonia Cornet Band was organized at Oregonia, January 12, 1901, by H. D. Kellison, and did its first work at Clarksville May 30, 1901. It orginally consisted of twelve members, but was increaced to fourteen in 1902. On April 6, 1901, the band was fortunate to secure as instructor Prof. Ben. Lewis, of Lebanon, the best musician and instructor in the county. Under his excellent directorship the band made rapid progress, and soon had a local reputation as being a most promising organization. On Prof. Lewis’s advice new instruments were purchased, and now a large majority of the band instruments are the best made.

The following list of members comprise the organization: Wm. F. Kersey, J. N. Huffman, H. Huffman, clarionets: Prof. Ben. Lewis, H. D. Kellison, E. A. Jeffery, cornets; W. Jeffery, P. H. Kersey, altos; Wm C. Kersey, D. W. Williams, trombones; C. E. Bradbury, baritone; E. M. Sherwood, tuba; W. C. Sherwood, H. E. Wilson, drums."


This page created 20 October and last updated 20 October, 2003
© 2003  Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved