This page is a part of the
Warren County OhGenWeb Project,
New County Coordinator 13 Apr 2003
These pages are
sponsored by RootsWeb
History of Warren County
In 1800 all of Ohio was part of the Northwest Territory. The county was formed in 1803 from Hamilton county. The boundary lines were drawn basically the same as today, with the exception of the northwestern corner. A small portion was in Butler county, but became a part of Warren county in 1820.
Warren county was named in honor of General Joseph Warren, a patriot, who died at the Battle of Bunker Hill during the American Revolution.
Warren is located in the southwest portion of the state. The neighboring counties are: Montgomery, Greene, Clinton, Clermont, Hamilton and Butler.
In Lebanon, the county seat, is Ohio's oldest hotel, the Golden Lamb, operating since 1803, although the present building dates from 1815. Charles Dickens stayed here in 1842. The Western Star, one of the state's oldes weekly newspapers was printed in Lebanon since 1807.
NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren
County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication
rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may
be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring
to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their
legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator
with proof of this consent.
© - 2003-2007 Arne H Trelvik, all