Biographies of Williams Co. OH


JAMES ANSPAUGH, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio. Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago
F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Superior Township

JAMES ANSPAUGH, son of JACOB and BARBARA ANSPAUGH, was born in Berks County, Penn., September 22, 1809.
Our subject attended school but a short time, remaining with and assisting his parents until his marriage. This took place in Stark County,
Ohio, May 22, 1830, the bride being Miss ELIZABETH HIPLE. Mr. ANSPAUGH now began farming on rented land, continuing
about ten years. He moved to Williams County, Ohio, in 1839, bringing a yoke of oxen and a pair of steers. He located on 100 acres
of his present farm, then Government land, clearing the same and opening a road to his house. He now has 249 acres of excellent land,
with many and substantial improvements. He was Township Trustee for nine years. Mr. and Mrs. ANSPAUGH have ten living children
--BENJAMIN, JONAS, SARAH, SAMUEL, HENRY, JAMES, JOHN, CATHERINE, WILLIAM and ALFRED.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio. JWS.



___________________________________________________________



AMOS BETTS, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

AMOS BETTS, the son of LUTHER and HANNAH BETTS, was born in SenecaCounty, N.Y., 
November 24, 1818. His father was a native of Connecticut, and settled in New York at an early day, and the
mother was a native of Vermont. The father died in his native State, and the mother soon after moved with her
family of fourteen children to Marion County, Ohio, and then came to Williams County, Ohio, where she ended
her days. AMOS accompanied his mother to Marion County, and there remained until 1838, when he went to
Huron County, where, September 12, 1841, he married MARY M. DARLING, a native of Cattaraugus County,
N.Y., and born April 17, 1824. In 1847, he removed from Huron to Williams County, and purchased some land
which he afterward sold. Here his wife died, March 27, 1874. April 19, 1877, he married LOUISA LOCKHART,
who was born in Ashland County, Ohio, January 14, 1839. He now bought back his old farm, and still resides
upon it. He has a family of ten children--MARGARET M., CHARLES R., LUTHER, ROSINA A., BENJAMIN P.,
HENRY A., CORNELIA L., THEODORE D., DAVID D., and J.A.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



J.C. BLACKFORD, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Bridgewater Township

J.C. BLACKFORD was born February 28, 1842, in Portage County, Ohio, and is one of eight children born to JACOB and
MARY (COPP) BLACKFORD, the former a native of Virginia, and the latter a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. BLACKFORD
was educated at the common schools in his youth, and was also taught the carpenter's trade. He remained with his parents till
twenty-three years of age, and November 5, 1865, married Miss NETTIE McCARTY, a native of this township. He then moved
to Pioneer, this county, where he worked at his trade about thirteen years, and then moved to Bridgewater and located on his present farm,
which comprises forty acres of good land, which, as a rule, he hires farmed. He is a first-class carpenter, as the frequent demands
for his services clearly indicate. He has been a member of Pioneer Lodge, No. 461, I.O.O.F., and the Methodist Episcopal Church,
and was always a Republican in politics, at the present holding, through the suffrage of that party, the office of Justice of the Peace.
He is the father of one child--ALTA; he is esteemed as a conscientious man and public-spirited citizen.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz October 2002.



___________________________________________________________



THOMAS BLAIR, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. 
Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

THOMAS BLAIR was born in Lycoming County, Penn, April 22, 1815, the second eldest child of AARON
and MARGARET BLAIR. The former was born in Pennsylvania in 1783, and the latter in New Jersey in 1787,
and were married in Lycoming County in 1808. They had a family of seven children, viz., ANN, THOMAS,
ELIZABETH, RUTH, PETER, JOHN and AARON K. August 11, 1842, THOMAS BLAIR married SARAH J.
HAHAFFEY, also a native of Lycoming County, Penn., and born October 15, 1824. Just after marriage he came
to this township and settled on eighty acres of fine land, on which he has since made his home. At his house his
father, who was on a visit to him from his home in Pennsylvania, was taken ill, and died in October, 1846. His
mother expired at the old homestead in Lycoming, in October, 1653 [sic]. Mr. BLAIR is an old and respected
citizen of Centre Township, and has had born to him a family of ten children, viz., SUSAN E., MARGARET
A., SARAH J., ESTHER M., ZELMA L. (deceased), EMMA A., WILLIAM A., RHODA I., DELLA R.S.T.
and a son who died in infancy.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



"Commemorative Biographical Record of Northwestern Ohio; Including the Counties of Defiance, Henry,
Williams & Fulton Published by J. H. Beers & Co.; Chicago; 1899, Page 405.
Including these surnames:  Bohm, Greenler, Hoelbrich, Brachbill, &Povenmire.

NICHOLAS BOHM

One of the most public-spirited and enterprising citizens of Richland township, Defiance county, is the subject of this sketch,
who is successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits in Section 35, South Richland Precinct, where he has made a home for
over a quarter of a century.  The place which comprises eighty acres of rich and fertile land, has been improved by him with
good buildings, and all the conveniences and accessories of a model farm are there found.  Within the last few years poultry
has received much attention, and the result has been several flocks of improved strains of chickens and ducks.

Like many of the best citizens of the county, Mr. Bohm is of foreign birth, born in Germany, December 15, 1842, the eldest
in the family of three children born to John W. and Margareta Bohm, who spent their entire lives in the Fatherland.  In that country
he was reared upon a farm, obtaining a good common-school education, which has well fitted him for the practical and responsible
duties of life.  In October, 1867, he crossed the Atlantic, landing in New York, whence he came direct to Defiance county, Ohio,
and for two years and a half he worked as a farm hand by the month.  He then married, and located upon his present farm,
which he has converted into one of the most highly cultivated tracts in the locality.

On February 24, 1870, in Defiance county, Mr. Bohm wedded Miss Matilda Greenler, who was born in Richland township,
January 1, 1845, a daughter of George C.A. and Mary (Hoelbrich) Greenler, natives of Germany, who on their emigration to
America at an early day took up their residence in Richland township, Defiance county, where they spent the remainder of their lives.
In their family were five children -- three sons and two daughters -- of whom Mrs. Bohm is the third in order of birth.

To Nicholas Bohm and his wife have been born seven children, namely:  Henry Otto, a graduated of the Ohio
Normal University of Ada; Beta E., now the wife of Edward Brachbill; Laura M., wife of Benjamin Povenmire; George P. Edwin;
Elma; John Louis, and Eleanora.

Mr. and Mrs. Bohm are consistent members of the Lutheran Church, and give a liberal support to all measures which they believe
calculated to advance the moral, educational or material welfare of their community.  His fellow citizens recognizing his worth
and ability have called upon him to serve in a number of official positions in his township.



___________________________________________________________



ALVA BOISE, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

ALVA BOISE, son of NATHAN and DEBORAH BOISE, was born in Portage County, Ohio, May 1, 1820.
His father, NATHAN, was born in Massachusetts about the year 1779, and was a son of JOHN and SARAH
BOISE. This family is of French origin, and their ancestors belonged to the noted DU BOIS family, who were
very prominent in France during the reign of Louis XIV, and were driven from that country to the northern
part of Ireland during the Huguenot persecutions. Here the name was changed to Boies, and in about 1825 to
the present mode. In the early part of the last century DAVID, a descendant of the family, emigrated from
Ireland to America and located in the town of Hopkinton, Mass., but subsequently removed to Blandford, Mass.,
about 1735 or 1737. But a few people, at that early period, had turned their attention toward the settlement of
the backwoods of the State, as the country was mountainous and heavily timbered, and permanent settling was
attended with much more danger and labor there than in the valleys. DAVID was a man of deep religious thought
and principles. He had a large family of children, of whom three were sons, viz., JOHN, WILLIAM and
SAMUEL. JOHN, arriving at manhood, turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. He reared a family of children,
and his two sons were named JOHN and SAMUEL, the former being the grandfather of the subject of our sketch.
He was born in Blandford November 22, 1744, and was one of the first white male children to see the light in
that town; he was celebrated as a schoolmaster, and was a prominent member of the Baptist Church; he was
married to SARAH FREELAND, by whom he had a family of six children, who all lived to a mature age; three
of them were sons--JAMES, ENOS and NATHAN. He died September 9, 1830; his son NATHAN was born in
Blandford, Mass., in 1779, and there he lived until 1802, when he came to Portage County, this State, where he
shortly after married DEBORAH, the daughter of THOMPSON and MARY PEGG. NATHAN and wife died in
Portage County in the years 1826 and 1863, leaving a family of eight children, viz., ENOS, SARAH, JOEL,
ELIJAH, ALVA, MARY, LYDIA and PHILO. ALVA BOISE was married, in Portage, October 18, 1847, to
CATHERINE, daughter of JOSHUA and ELIZABETH CALVIN, and until October, 1850, he remained there
following his trade of wagon-making; he then came to this township and purchased and moved upon the farm
he still occupies. This contains 120 acres of very fine land, and is well improved in all respects. Mr. BOISE is
the father of one son, WATSON, who was born May 29, 1857, and was married, September 15, 1877, to Miss
REBECCA BRANNAN; he resides on the old homestead, and superintends the cultivation of the farm. The
family are all people of superior intelligence, and are among the most respectable in the township.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



F.P. BRAKEMAN, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

F.P. BRAKEMAN, saw-mill proprietor and lumber dealer, is a son of PETER and CLARISSA BRAKEMAN;
was born in Oakland County, Mich., February 22, 1844, and came with his parents to Williams County in 1854.
At the beginning of the late war, he enlisted in Company C, Fourteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry and served three
months, and at the expiration of his term re-enlisted in Company K, Sixty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and
served till the close of the war, in all serving four years, four months and twenty-seven days, mostly under Gen.
Sherman. On his return, he married, December 20, 1865, ANNA E. CUMMINS, who was born in Seneca
County, Ohio, December 6, 1844. He then made his residence on his father-in-law's farm in St. Joseph's Township,
until the fall of 1870, when he came to this township and purchased a saw-mill, which he has been running ever
since, in connection with a trade in lumber. He has had born to him a family of five children--IDA, JAMES G.,
ZADIE B., an infant son who died unnamed and HERBERT. He is an enterprising young business man and an
upright, public spirited citizen.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



ABNER K. BROWN, Biography  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Bridgewater Township

ABNER K. BROWN is the eldest of a family of eight children, and was born in Hancock County, Ohio, August 10, 1838.
His father, JACOB BROWN, was born in Pennsylvania, and his mother, CATHARINE (BRENNER) BROWN, was a native of Germany.
When ABNER was ten years of age, his father came to Williams County and bought 300 acres of land in Centre Township, on which
he still lives. January 1, 1861, ABNER married AMANDA BOLLINGER, who was born in Seneca County, Ohio. Her parents, JACOB
and MARY A. (STONER) BOLLINGER, are natives of Pennsylania and Ohio respectively, and came to Williams County, January 9, 1851,
and settled on 160 acres in Centre Township. ABNER BROWN and his wife lived with his father for three years after marriage, and then
came to this township and settled on a 120-acre farm, which he has increased to 140 acres, improved with excellent buildings, and
made it one of the finest in the township. Mr. and Mrs. BROWN were educated at Williams Centre High School, then the best in the county,
are members of the United Brethren Church, and the parents of eight living children--ORA L., REUBEN G., LYDIA B., JACOB A., ORTON K.,
MELVIN, HARRY O. and IRA E., whom they are taking great pains to educate. Mr. BROWN has been Township Trustee for a number of years,
and he is looked upon as one of the most intelligent and enterprising citizens of the township.



___________________________________________________________



HENRY BROWN, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

HENRY BROWN is a son of DANIEL and ELIZABETH BROWN, who were natives of Bedford County, Penn. The former was born January 1, 1785,
the latter January 12, 1789. They were married in Bedford County, Penn., in the year 1806, remaining there until 1810, when they
removed to Stark County, Ohio, where Mr. Brown died November 16, 1832. His widow came to Williams County about the year 1842, where
she died in 1862. They had a family of twenty children, fourteen of whom they reared to maturity. The subject of our sketch was the third
of this family, and was born in Stark County December 7, 1810. He was married in the same county, March 3, 1832, to CATHERINE KELLER,
and in the following October moved to Hancock County, Ohio, and purchased land. There Mrs. BROWN died January 27, 1853. To
this marriagetwelve children were born--SUSAN, JOHN, ELI, SARAH, LUCINDA, REBECCA, AARON, SAMUEL, HENRY, JACOB, MARY and ISAAC.
He was married a second time June 22, 1856, to LEAH MYERS, by whom he had four children--ANNA (deceased), JENNIE, AMELIA and VIOLA
(deceased). In the spring of 1866, Mr. BROWN removed to Williams County, Ohio, purchasing and occupying his present farm and
residence. He is a member of the German Reformed Church.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



JOHN BROWN, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882.

JOHN BROWN is a son of DANIEL and ELIZABETH BROWN, natives of Pennsylvania, and was born in Stark County, Ohio, February 12, 1812,
and was there married, March 30, 1834, to LUCINDA BRIGGS, who was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, August 22, 1815. About the year
1835, Mr. BROWN moved to Hancock County, Ohio, where he remained till 1848, when he moved to Williams County, on the farm where he
now resides, on Section 13. There has been born to him a family of nine children, as follows SAMUEL, JOSEPH, MAHLON, JOHN
(all deceased), LYDIA, SANFORD, LEANDER and HARRIET (deceased) and MANUEL. His wife died February 7, 1881, and he again married
December 29, 1881. He is a minister of the German Baptist Church, and is highly respected in his community as a man of piety and
strict integrity. He has been a successful farmer, and has devoted his life more to the quiet of social pursuits than to the excitement
of politics.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



EMMANUEL BROWN, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers,1882.
EMMANUEL BROWN, the son of ABRAHAM and HANNAH BROWN, natives of Pennsylvania, was born in Wayne County, June 8, 1827, and was
there married, November 9, 1848, to JULIANN STAUFFER, who was born in Lancaster County, Penn., September 19, 1829. In the fall of
1861, he came from Wayne to Williams County and settled on Section No. 9, this township, on the same farm where he now resides, which
comprises eighty acres of excellent land. In 1871, he moved to Bryan and did business there till 1881, when he returned to
his farm. He has had born to him two children--Abraham (deceased) and Clarissa. Mr. BROWN is a member of the I.O.O.F., and has taken
the fifth degree. He is a useful and enterprising citizen and is highly respected as a man.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



JACOB BROWN, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

JACOB BROWN is a native of Stark County, Ohio, where he was born October 9, 1815. His parents, DAVID and BARBARA BROWN, were
natives of Lancaster County, Penn., where Mr. BROWN was born in 1783, and the mother in 1786. They were married and remained in this
State until 1814, when they moved to Stark County, Ohio, where Mr. BROWN was called home in March, 1835. Mrs. BROWN lived on in
the old homestead until 1854, when she decided to come to Williams County, Ohio, and spend the remainder of her days in the home of
her son, JACOB BROWN. Here her death occurred the January following. Mr. and Mrs. BROWN were parents of nine children. Mr. JACOB BROWN
remained in his native place until 1838, when he bought a farm in Hancock County, Ohio, upon which himself and family lived
until July, 1848, when he disposed of this property and purchased land in >Williams County, which has since been his home. Here he
has a fine farm of 305 acres, acquired and brought to its present state of cultivation by habits of industry and perseverance.
Mr. BROWN commands the respect and esteem of his neighbors for uprightness and integrity; besides tilling the soil, he administers in
spiritual things, being a preacher of the German Baptist faith. Mr. BROWN was married, September 10, 1837, to Miss CATHERINE
BRENNER, a native of Germany, who came to Stark County with her parents in 1830. Mr. and Mrs. BROWN are parents of nine children,
eight still living--ABNER K., BARBARA, LYDIA, JACOB, CATHERINE, NANCY, ISABELLA and CHARLES F. One son, REUBEN, was offered
as a sacrifice on the altar of his country.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



W. M. BROWN, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors.
Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

W.M. BROWN, of the firm of Brown & Brenner, merchants at Melbern, in this township, was born in Crawford County, Ohio,
October 14, 1846, and is the eldest of the four children of NICHOLAS and SARAH BROWN, who were respectively born in Fayette County,
Penn., August 11, 1821, and Crawford County, Ohio, December 29, 1825, and married in Crawford January 23, 1844, and who moved to
this county in 1846, where they still reside. October 21, 1866, W.M. BROWN married, at Williams Centre, this county, CAROLINE JAQUES,
who was born in Holmes County, Ohio, April 30, 1848, and was the daughter of DAVID L. and MARY JAQUES, natives of France. After
his marriage, Mr. BROWN moved upon one of his father's farms in this township, remained there two years, then bought the estate of
his wife's parents in the same township, moved upon it and there remained till 1877, sold it, moved to Melbern, and in October of the
same year entered into the business at which he is now engaged, and at which he is finely prospering. He has a family of four children-
-LAURA B., SADIE, CHARLIE N. and WILLIAM G. Mr.and Mrs. BROWN are members of the M.E. Church, and he is one of the
enterprising business men of Melbern.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



MYRON CALTRIDER, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

MYRON CALTRIDER is the only son of JOHN W. and EMELINE CALTRIDER, and was born in this township. The parents settled here at
an early day, and here, in June, 1872, the father died, and the widow went to Bryan, where she remained two years, then returned to
the farm, where she sojourned till May, 1882, when she again went to Bryan, and there expects to remain until the end of life. MYRON
CALTRIDER, in 1876, made a trip to Philadelphia, and October 22, of that year, there married Miss ALICE WYATT, whom he brought
to the old homestead, the place of his birth, and there settled down for life. His farm comprises 114 acres of choice land, and
is well improved and tilled, and its owner is recognized as a skillful and promising young farmer. He and Mrs. C. are members of the
Baptist Church, and are quiet, orderly and conservative young people.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



SMITH CALVIN, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

SMITH CALVIN was born in Portage County, Ohio, December 21, 1829, the son of HORATIO and HANNAH CALVIN, natives of Virginia,
born respectively November 1, 1803, and February 12, 1807, and married in Portage County, Ohio, in March, 1827. They became the
parents of two children--DAVID and SMITH, and in 1850 changed their residence to this county, where the father died in April 1854.
SMITH CALVIN learned shoemaking in Portage, and in 1848, visited this county. He remained a short time working at his trade, then he
returned to Portage, and two years later came back to Williams and worked at shoemaking for ten years. August 26, 1852, he
married MARY M. MILLER. In 1863, he bought and moved upon the eighty-acre farm where he still resides. His wife died October 12, 1868,
the mother of two children. September 19, 1869, he married ELIZABETH BUSH, who died August 29, 1880, having borne three children;
and June 2, 1882, he married JANE BUSH. Mr. CALVIN has always been a kind and affectionate husband and father, and has proved himself
to be a thrifty farmer and excellent neighbor.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



CURTIS COGSWELL, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Bridgewater Township

CURTIS COGSWELL, one of our early settlers, was born in Litchfield, Conn., May 20, 1805, and was one of the eleven
children of JOEL and TAMAR (WRIGHT) COGSWELL, natives of the same State. CURTIS, when a small boy, was removed
to Pennsylvania by his parents, and in that State they died. Here CURTIS educated himself by the blaze of pine knots, and at the age
of twenty had become one of the best teachers in the country, and for ten years following taught in grammar and town schools in
New York State. There he married REBECCA TRUESDELL, a native of Steuben County, and removed to eighty acres of
not very good land near Toledo, Ohio, where he remained five years. Thence he came to this township, where he entered 400 acres,
built a log cabin and became a pioneer, with the only five families who had settled in the township before him. He now possesses
but eighty acres, having presented a considerable part of the original entry to his boys and having sold the remainder. His children
numbered ten, as follows JOEL, CHARLOTTE, ALBERT, DANIEL, JOHN, HIRAM, ERIE, MARY, ELIZA and JANE.
CHARLOTTE and JOHN are now dead. He became a Master Mason while in New York, but during the famous Morgan
excitement he withdrew, and has ever since been bitterly opposed to the order. He joined the M.E. Church, but on account
of the prevalence of the Masonic element in that denomination, left it and affiliated with the United Brethren Church. He was
the first man in his township to volunteer at the call to arms during the late war, but was rejected on account of his age. He is
strongly republican in his political views, and has served as Justice of the Peace, School Examiner and in more other town offices
than he desired. He formed a resolution when young never to go in debt, and he has kept the pledge to the letter, although,
strange to state, discouraged in it by his father.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, OH October 2002 JWS



___________________________________________________________



O.E. ENSIGN, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

O.E. ENSIGN comes from good old Puritan stock. His father, OWEN ENSIGN, was born in Massachusetts in 1784, and NANCY ENSIGN,
his mother, was a native of Connecticut, born in 1794. They were married in Lake County, Ohio, in 1814, which was their home until 1836,
when they moved to Farmer Township, Defiance County, where they purchaed property and remained until the death of Mr. ENSIGN, which
took place in 1857. Mrs. ENSIGN soon afterward went to Wisconsin, where her death occurred in 1869. Their family consisted of six
children, but four now living, one son and one daughter deceased. The son, W.O., filled at one time the office of Judge of
Defiance County. Of those remaining, H.A. ENSIGN, M.D., resides in Kansas; D.T. ENSIGN follows farming in Defiance County; F.E. is
attorney at law in Boise City, Idaho, and O.E. is engaged in farming and stock-raising in Centre Township, Williams Co., Ohio, where he
has a fine farm of 160 acres under cultivation. O.E.ENSIGN was born at Painesville, Lake Co., Ohio, November 29, 1831, coming with his
parents to Defiance County, and remaining with them until twenty years of age, attending school during the winter and assisting
on the farm in the summer months; he also was a student at Painesville Academy, and availed himself of collegiate instruction. He
was afterward engaged in teaching during the winter months until his marriage, which occurred April 8, 1857. Mrs. ENSIGN was Miss
CLARISSA L. DUNKLE, a native of New York State, where she was born June 13, 1839. She is the mother of four children, but two
of whom are now living. Mr. and Mrs. ENSIGN are members of the United Brethren Church.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



S.S. EYSTER, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Florence Township

S.S. EYSTER is a native of the Buckeye State, having been born in Stark County June 26, 1842. His parents, WILLIAM H.
and MARY (SAEGER) EYSTER, had a family of seven children; but four now living. WILLIAM H. EYSTER was a carpenter
by trade, but after he came to Williams County in 1854, engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in 1855. S.S. EYSTER
learned the carpenter's trade, at which he worked until 1878, when he engaged in manufacturing and selling the Fulton Washing Machine,
and the Boss Churn; of the former he has sold nearly 800 in Williams County alone, during the last four years, besides his sales in
other portions of the State; also in Indiana and Pennsylvania. Mr. EYSTER saw active service in the late war. He enlisted in 1861,
in Company C, Thirty-Eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under Gen. Buell; was taken prisoner at Decatur, Ala., by a Confederate
Troop of Cavalry, under Maj. Roddy; shortly after paroled, and afterward exchanged. He was then taken sick, and sent to the
hospital at Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio, and afterward made Ward Master; here he remained until his time of enlistment
(three years) had expired. Mr. EYSTER was married March 6, 1867, to ELIZABETH LECHLEIDNER, of Steuben County, Ind.,
and they are the parents of six children, five living, viz. ALICE, CHARLIE, HARVEY, HOLLIE and JESSIE E. Mr. EYSTER
is a member of the I.O.O.F., and himself and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Edon.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio. JWS.



___________________________________________________________



DANIEL FETTERS, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

DANIEL FETTERS, son of JACOB and EVE FETTERS, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, October 18, 1818, and came to this county
with his parents. He was married in April, 1841, to ELIZABETH MISER, a native of Ohio, and born in 1817. Mr. FETTERS, shortly after
his marriage, purchased the farm of eighty acres on Section 28, in this township, on which he still resides. At the time of his
first location here, the country was one dense forest, but by industry Mr. FETTERS has succeeded in clearing off sixty-five acres,
which are now under a fine state of cultivation. His children were seven in number, and named as follows--ELIZA, SARAH A., FREDERICK,
MARY A., CATHERINE M. (deceased) and two infant daughters deceased. Mr. F. is a Granger, is an excellent farmer and an upright
citizen.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



DANIEL FETTERS, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Florence Township

DANIEL FETTERS is a Pennsylvanian by birth, as were his parents before him, JOHN and EVE (WEREHIME) FETTERS, who resided
in Bedford County, where DANIEL was born January 26, 1806. His father was a farmer, and the educational advantages for the children
were very limited at that early day. Mr. FETTERS began the struggle of life at the age of sixteen, working out until twenty-one, when
he was married to Miss SARAH WISSEL. In 1829, the family removed to Wayne County, Ohio, where they resided until 1851, when they came
to Centre Township, Williams Co., Ohio, remaining there four years, when they removed to Florence Township on the farm which
is now their home. This fine farm of 100 acres was at that time in a state of nature, but energy and perseverance have produced the
present results--a fine dwelling-house, good barn and outbuildings, six good milch cows, two horses and all the surroundings in fine
shape. Of sixteen children born to Mr. and Mrs. FETTERS, but six survive--JOHN, SAMUEL, DANIEL, LEVI, HESTER A. and MARY. One son,
WASHINGTON, was killed in the army. Mr. and Mrs. FETTERS are both church members--Mr. F. of the Disciples' Church, and
Mrs. F. of the Lutheran.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio. JWS.



___________________________________________________________



GEORGE FETTERS, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

GEORGE FETTERS was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, May 10, 1829, and was the son of JACOB and EVE FETTERS, who were born in
Pennsylvania June 22, 1792, and August, 1791, and in that State married in about 1812. JACOB FETTERS was a soldier in the
war of 1812 for some time, and, shortly after his return, moved with his young wife to Montgomery County, Ohio, and thence, in 1836,
to this county; settled with his family on Section 37, this township, on the farm where GEORGE FETTERS now resides, and there
departed this life respectively December 19, 1836, and March 18, 1874, the parents of twelve children, viz., CATHERINE, MARY, LYDIA,
MOSES, DANIEL, ESTHER, JACOB, EVE, JOHN, GEORGE, ELIZA and SOLOMON (the last deceased). GEORGE FETTERS was married, August 12, 1852,
to HESTER FETTERS, who was born in Wayne County, Ohio, June 8, 1834. Her parents, DANIEL and SARAH FETTERS, natives of Pennsylvania,
were born respectively in 1806 and 1809. Soon after his marriage, GEORGE bought the old homestead, and now owns 160 acres of
good land. He is the father of eleven children, viz., EVE J., POLLY A., WILLIAM H., CHARLES L., THOMAS A., JOHNNIE C., FRANK F.,
DELLA D., OLIVER V., NOLIA B. and L.J. Mr. FETTERS is one of the leading citizens of Centre, and has held the office of Assessor for
nine years.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



DAVID FLIGHTNER, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882.
DAVID FLIGHTNER was born in Defiance County, Ohio, January 20, 1854. Son of ADAM and CATHARINE FLIGHTNER, and came with his
parents to Williams County, which has since been his home. He remained with his father until nearly twenty-one years of age, when he
assumed the duties and cares of life for himself. His marriage with Miss CLARA H. LANE took place at Bryan, Ohio, March 16, 1878. She
is the daughter of JACOB and KERTEN LANE, and was born in Williams County, Ohio, September 27, 1860. Mr. and Mrs. FLIGHTNER removed
to Defiance County, Ohio, shortly after their marriage, where they remained one year, when he purchased the farm of eighty acres
in Centre Township, Williams County, which has since been their home. Mr. FLIGHTNER is a worthy citizen of the township, and
highly respected and esteemed by all who enjoy the pleasure of his acquaintance. A son and daughter cheer their home, viz., ARTHUR H.
and ALMA FLIGHTNER.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



SAMUEL FLIGHTNER, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882.
SAMUEL FLIGHTNER is an American-born citizen of German descent. His parents and grandparents emigrated from Germany to "the land
of the free and the home of the brave" at an early day. The marriage of his parents took place in Crawford County, Ohio, in 1841,
where SAMUEL, the eldest of a family of eight children, was born in March, 1842. The family removed to Williams County, Ohio, in 1860,
having beeen located some time previously in Defiance County. Mrs. FLIGHTNER died at her home in Williams County in May, 1874.
Mr. FLIGHTNER was remarried the year following, removed to Bryan in 1876, where the second Mrs. FLIGHTNER died shortly afterward.
Mr. FLIGHTNER entered the married state again in 1880, and one child is the result of this union. Mr. SAMUEL FLIGHTNER was married,
October 15, 1864, in Edgerton, to Miss LUCINDA H. STEVENS, a native of Crawford County, Ohio, where she was born December 18, 1844.
Their family numbers eight children--MARY L., CHARLIE W., EDWARD J., ELNORA A., FRANKLIN E., JENNIE B., MYRTA M. and an unnamed
infant daughter. Mr. FLIGHTNER's vocation has always been that of a farmer. Their home, until 1875, was in Defiance County, on
a farm purchased of Mr. FLIGHTNER Sr., when they disposed of this and purchased the old family homestead in Williams County, which
is their present home. This consists of 160 acres of land, and is a valuable piece of property.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



MARTIN FIX, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Florence Township

MARTIN FIX was born in Alsace, France (now a part of Germany), May 10, 1834. He is one of a family of eight children born to
HENRY and SARAH S. (KLEISS) FIX; seven of these are now alive. His father landed in America, at New York, in May, 1843,
thence traveling West by steamer and canal, and arriving in Wayne County in July. Here he remained until 1844, when he came to
Williams County, settling in Centre Township until 1881, when he came to Florence and made his home with MARTIN. MARTIN FIX
is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He purchased the farm he owns and manages in 1864; it is a good one, and contains 100 acres.
He was married, February 20, 1863, to MARY FETTERS, of Williams County, by whom he has a family of seven--SARAH S., IDA R.,
HENRY D., ZORA C., IRENA S., ETHEL B. and HIRAM M. Mr. FIX is a member of the Lutheran Church and a man of average
education, notwithstanding his lack of opportunies in early life.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio. JWS.



___________________________________________________________



WILLIAM FORD, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Florence Township

WILLIAM FORD was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, October 15, 1837, and is one of a family of nine children born to
URIAH and ELIZABETH (DULING) FORD; six of these children survive, but our subject is the only one living in Williams County.
Mr. FORD has a medium education, and is a carpenter by trade, having begun the business at twenty years of age. Previous to coming
to Williams County, he was engaged in the drug and grocery trade at Clyde, Sandusky Co, Ohio, in which he continued about two years,
afterward exchanging this stock for the farm he now possesses, 163 acres, eighty under cultivation in Williams County. He was married,
in December, 1857, to MARY C. HOSFORD, of Sandusky County, to which union six children have resulted, four of whom survive-
-ISABELLA, FRANKLIN, ALBERTIE and GEORGE U.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio. JWS.



___________________________________________________________



WILLIAM D. FRIED, Biography, 

Commemorative Biographical Record of Northwestern Ohio, including the Counties of
Defiance, Henry, Williams and Fulton. Chicago J.H. Beers & Co., 1899.

WILLIAM D. FREID

This gentleman, who is numbered among the most enterprising, energetic and successful agriculturists of Bridgewater
township, Williams county, was born August 18, 1842, in Stark county, Ohio, a son of JOSEPH and ANNA (DAVIS) FRIED.

His paternal grandfather, HENRY FRIED, a native of Germany, came to America in boyhood with his parents and located
in Pennsylvania, where he continued to reside until he attained his majority, removing then to Stark county, Ohio. Having obtained a
good education, he successfully engaged in teaching for some time, but never settled down to one line of occupation. His last years
were spent at the home of his son JOSEPH, in Williams county, where he died about 1859. He served as a soldier in the Mexican war,
and was a strong Whig in politics. His last wife died at Osnaburg, Ohio, in 1858, and six of their twelve children died before
reaching maturity. The others are HENRY, WILLIAM, GEORGE, JOSEPH, POLLY and NANCY.

During his boyhood JOSEPH FRIED (our subject's father) attended the common schools to a limited extent in Columbiana county,
where he was reared. Starting out in life for himself at an early age, he labored by the day and month until after his marriage, when
he and his brother WILLIAM bought a sawmill in Stark county, borrowing the money to pay for the same. In their efforts to secure a
home and competence they were ably assisted by their wives, and meeting with success in the operation of the mill they were at length
able to purchase eighty acres of land, which they improved. Subsequently, JOSEPH FRIED purchased his brother's interest in the business,
and later devoted his entire time to farming. In 1858 he sold his property in Stark county, and came to Williams county, where he
purchased one hundred and sixty acres of heavily-timbered land, on which he built a log house and made some improvement; but
after a short residence here he was called to the home beyond in 1863, leaving a widow and six children. Of the thirteen children born
to them, six died in childhood, the others being ELIZA J., wife of J. COGSELL; WILLIAM D., the subject of this sketch; CATHERINE,
wife of J. KALE; ELLAZAN; GEORGE, who died in Marietta, Georgia, while in the service of his country during the Civil War; AMY, who
died at the age of thirteen years; and CORA, wife of P. HORNISH. Four of these children were living at the time of the mother's death,
which occurrred in 1886. After the death of her first husband she married HENRY LAYMAN, of Defiance county, Ohio. Both parents
of our subject were faithful members of the German Baptist Church, of which the father was a minister, and politically he was
identified with the Republican party.

WILLIAM D. FRIED pursued his studies in the common schools near his boyhood home,
and after coming to Williams county at the age of sixteen, he continued to assist his father in the cultivation and improvement of
the farm until 1863, when he enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He first did guard duty on
Johnson's Island, Ohio, and later was a nurse in a hospital until the war ended, being mustered out at Columbus and honorably discharged
July 3, 1865. As his father had died during his service, he asumed the management of the farm on his return home; on July 4, 1879,
purchased the interest of the other heirs in the place, and also bought his mother's life interest. At that time only eighty
acres had been cleared, and the buildings were all in a dilapidated condition, but with characteristic energy he has devoted his
time and attention to its improvement, and now one hundred and twenty-five acres are under a high state of cultivation, and improved
with a comfortable two-story frame residence, a large barn, good outbuildings and a fine orchard. He raises a variety of cereals
adapted to this climate, and is also interested in stock raising.

In 1868 Mr. FRIED was married to Miss LYDIA BROWN, who was born in Hancock county, Ohio, July 11, 1847, a daughter of Rev.
JOHN BROWN and LUCINDA (BRIGGS) BROWN, natives of Stark county, Ohio, whre they were married. DANIEL BROWN (Mrs. FRIED's grandfather)
was a native of Germany, whence with the family he started for the New World, but his father died on the voyage and was buried at sea.
The remainder of the family located in Pennsylvania and afterward removed to Stark county, Ohio. Rev. JOHN BROWN, a minister of
the German Baptist Church, and also a farmer, came to Williams county, in 1848, at which time this region was very sparsely settled.
He purchased land in Center township, and improved a farm, on which he is still living at the ripe old age of eighty-five years.
Since reaching manhood he has engaged in farming, and in preaching the Gospel, and is to-day one of the most honored and highly
esteemed citizens of Williams county. His wife was called to her final rest in 1881, at the age of sixty-five years. Of the eleven
children born to them, six died in childhood, the others being MALON, who died in 1862 whie a soldier in the Union army; LYDIA, wife
of our subject; SANFORD, a plasterer living in San Diego, California; Mrs. HARRIETTE KUNKLE; and MANUEL, a physician of Salina, Kansas.

To Mr. and Mrs. FRIED were born nine children, namely DELLA, who died at the age of twelve years; DELBERT, who operates the
old homestead; EFFA, wife of CHARLES MARTIN, a prominent farmer of Bridgewater township; DESSIE, who died at the age of one year;
ORA and CORA (twins), who are successful school teachers; VALLIE, who has received a good education, and is now at home; and JOHN J.
and CARMIE B., also at home. Socially, Mr. FRIED affiliates with London Post, G.A.R., and politically is identified with the
Republican party. Not caring for official honors, he has generally refused office, but has been elected trustee of his township, in which
capacity he is now serving in a most creditable manner. His election plainly shows that his friends and neighbors justly
appreciate his ability and worth, as the township usually supports the Populist or Democratic candidates. Mr. FRIED has also efficiently
served in school offices, takes a deep interest in the cause of education, and has provided his children with excellent advantages
along that line. Mrs. FRIED is a consistent member of the German Baptist Church.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio, November 2002, JWS.



___________________________________________________________



RICHARD GAMBLE, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Mill Creek Township

RICHARD GAMBLE is a native of England and was born January 25, 1840. His parents, EDWARD and SARAH (DICKINSON) GAMBLE were
both natives of England, and emigrated to this country with their four children when RICHARD was but two years of age. They came
first to Sandusky County, Ohio, removing the year following to Richland County, and three years after to Fulton (then Williams) County,
where the father still lives. RICHARD received a good common school education, and remained at home working his father's farm until
the age of thirty, when he purchased a farm of eighty acres in Hillsdale County, Mich., where he lived two years, after which he
embarked in the grocery business at Fayette, Ohio, remaining three years; he then spent a year on the home farm, when he
decided to locate in Primrose; here he purchased property and put in a stock of dry goods and groceries; but, needing more room, the year
following he erected a large and commodious building, where he carries a fine stock of goods, valued at $5,500, and has a
prosperous trade. Mr. GAMBLE was united in marriage in Fulton County, December 25, 1874, to Miss ELLEN STAHL, a native of New York, and
they have three children--BERTHA E., ALCIE B. and NORMAN A.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio October 2002 JWS



___________________________________________________________



"Commemorative Biographical Record of Northwestern Ohio; Including the Counties of Defiance,
Henry, Williams & Fulton"Published by J. H. Beers & Co.; Chicago; 1899, Page  563.

Including these surnames:  Garman, Frankenberger, Shirley, Cromley, Knight, Abbott, & Gray.

JACOB F. GARMAN 

In the respect that is accorded to men who have fought their way to success through unfavorable environments, we fin
an unconscious recognition of the intrinsic worth of a character which can not only endure so rough a test, but gain new strength
through the discipline.  The following history sets forth briefly the steps by which our subject, now one of the substantial
agriculturist of Defiance county, residing in Section 10, Defiance township, overcame the disadvantages of his early life.

Mr. Garman was born in Center county, Pennsylvania, July 3, 1831, a son of George P. and Rebecca (Frankenberger) Garman,
also natives of that State, the former born in Lebanon county, the latter in Bucks county.  In 1846, with their family, they emigrated
to Defiance county, Ohio, and located in Defiance township; but the father did not long enjoy his new home, dying here in
November 26, 1847.  The mother passed away in the same township in 1871.  The paternal grandfather of our subject, Andrew Garman,
was a native of Virginia and removed to Pennsylvania after the Revolutionary war.  His death occurred in Lebanon county, that State.

Jacob F. Garman is eighth in the order of birth in a family of nine children -- three sons and six daughters -- and was fifteen
years old when he accompanied his parents on their removal to Defiance county, Ohio, in 1846.  As the schools of that early
day were widely scattered his education was limited to seven months' attendance at the district school nearest his boyhood home, but
he has made the most of his advantages, and is to-day a well informed man.  Upon the home farm in Defiance township he grew to
manhood, and throughout his active business life has successfully engaged in farming.

Mr. Garman was married in Defiance township to Miss Winnie A. Shirley, who died in less than a year after their marriage.
He was again married in that township, his second union being February 23, 1868, with Mrs. Annie (Cromley) Knight, widow of George Knight,
and daughter of Ionas Cromley, of Pickaway county, Ohio.  She was born in that county, and died in Defiance township,
Defiance county, August 19, 1890.  Two children were born of the second union:  David C., who is mentioned below; and
Nancy A., who died at the age of six months.

Fraternally Mr. Garman is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry.  For two terms he acceptably served as trustee of his
township, but has never cared for the honors or emoluments of political positions, though he has ever taken an active interest in
all local affairs.  His support is never withheld from any object which he believes calculated to promote the religious, educational
or material welfare of his adopted county, and he is therefore recognized as one of its most useful and valued citizens.

DAVID C. GARMAN, son of our subject, was born in Defiance township May 23, 1869, and there he has always made his home.
His elementary education was obtained in the public schools, and subsequently he was a student in Defiance College for several terms,
after which he was one of the popular and successful teachers of Defiance county for a time.  In Henry county, Ohio, he was married
December 24, 1892, to Miss Isora Abbott, who was born in Defiance township, Defiance county, November 13, 1871, a daughter
of Benjamin and Sarah (Gray) Abbott, of that township.  They have two children:  Winona, born November 24, 1893;
and Vida, born June 6, 1896.



___________________________________________________________



ALEXANDER GAVIN, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882.
ALEXANDER GAVIN is a son of ROBERT and ISABEL GAVIN, natives of Scotland. He was born in Scotland September 10, 1848, and came
with his parents from the old country to Fort Wayne, Ind., and thence to Williams County, where he was married December 29, 1870 to
CHRISTINE BURGIST, who was born in Wayne County, Ohio, July 28, 1850. Shortly after his marriage, he came to this township, and settled
on the farm where he now resides, purchasing it from his brother in 1874, and since greatly improving it. It comprises eighty acres
of fine land, and is kept in a state of thorough cultivation. He has a family of four children--BYRON D., WILLIAM R., JENNIE O. and
ORPHA B. He is a steady-going, prudent young man, is a thorough farmer, and is looked upon as a valuable
accession to the community.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



"Commemorative Biographical Record of Northwestern Ohio; Including the Counties of Defiance,
Henry, Williams & Fulton"

Published by J. H. Beers& Co.; Chicago; 1899

Including these Surnames; Greenler, Heollrich, Troeger, and Sawer

Submitted by Diane Smith, May 24, 2005

Page  530.

HENRY GREENLER

One of the most energetic and progressive citizens of Defiance county is Mr. Greenler, the subject of this sketch.
He was born September 24, 1851, on the farm in Section 35, Richland township, where he still makes his home.  His parents,
G.C.A. and Mary (Heollrich) Greenler, were natives of New Bavaria, Germany, where they were reared and married.  On crossing the
Atlantic to the United States in 1837, they came to Defiance county, Ohio, locating first at Independence, later removing to the
farm in Richland township, whereon our subject now resides, and there made their home until called to the world beyond, the father
dying December 14, 1873, the mother on April 27, 1896.  They had five children who reached years of maturity, namely:
John, William, Matilda, Henry and Mary.

The subject of this sketch was reared to habit of thrift and industry upon the home farm, and is now one of the most
skillful and thorough agriculturists of Richland township.  During his boyhood and youth he received a good common-school education,
which has been of great practical benefit to him in later years.  In connection with general farming he is also interested
in stock raising, making a specialty of Belgian horses and Red-polled cattle.  The old homestead, which he now owns, consists
of one hundred and fifty acres of fertile and productive land under excellent cultivation and improved with good buildings, and
eleven miles of tile drainage.  He also owns eighty acres along the river in Section 23.

In Highland township, Defiance county, Mr. Greenler was married April 8, 1880, to Miss Maria Ottillie Troeger, who was born
in that township, October 28, 1860, a daughter of George and Anna (Sawer) Troeger, the former a native of Bavaria, Germany, the
latter of Pleasant township, Henry county, Ohio.  After the marriage of her parents they located in Highland township, Defiance
county, where the father died May 6, 1877; the mother is still living.  Their children were:  Maria O., Catherine, William,
Lewis, Michael, Lizzie and Maggie.  To Mr. and Mrs. Greenler have been born eight children, as follows:  Cora, Carl,
Anna, Adam, William, Harmon, Lizzie and Richard.

In political sentiment Mr. Greenler is a Populist, and in local politics he takes quite a deep interest.  He has been a
member of the school board, and also trustee of Richland township, discharging the duties of both positions in a most satisfactory
and capable manner.  With his family he holds membership in the Lutheran Church, and at the time of the erection of St.
Stephen's Church in Highland township, Defiance county, he was serving as treasurer and trustee of the society.  To the building
of the church, which cost six thousand dollars, he contributed liberally of both time and means.  He is one of the most popular
and influential citizens of his community over whose life record there falls no shadow of wrong.



___________________________________________________________



BENTLEY HANNON, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

BENTLEY HANNON was born in Lancaster County, Penn., February 7, 1810, and was one of the eight children born to ROBERT C. and
SARAH HANNON, natives of Pennsylvania, and born respectively July 22, 1773, and November 25, 1774, and married April 11, 1797.
They moved to Columbiana County, Ohio, in the fall of 1817, and there the father died June 2, 1856, and the mother December 12, 1858.
At the age of nineteen, BENTLEY HANNON began learning to be a stone-mason; served two years, and then went to Pittsburgh, Penn.,
where he worked as a journeyman; he then returned to Ohio, and was married in Columbiana County, December 13, 1832, to NANCY A. NEER,
who was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, February 11, 1816, and was the daughter of JOHN and SARAH NEER, who were born in Virginia and
who settled in Trumbull County in the fall of 1815. For three years after marriage, farmed in Columbiana County, and in 1837 moved
to this township, settled on the eighty-acre farm he had entered the previous year, and has lived thereon ever since. He is the
father of seven children, viz., ROBERT N. (deceased), ISAVELIA, SARAH A. (deceased), ELIZABETH, PHEBE J., JOHN H. and FRANCES E.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



FREDERICK HERRMANN, Biography, County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co, Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

FREDERICK HERRMANN is the son of GEORGE F. and EVE HERRMANN, who were natives of Alsace, Germany, and born respectively in 1796
and 1800, and married in 1824. In the spring of 1839, they came to America, located in Stark County, Ohio, remained there till
1850, when they came to this township and settled on a farm, where they ended their days July 23, 1862, and June, 1867, respectively.
They had a family of five children, of whom FREDERICK was the eldest. He was born in Alsace in August, 1825, and came with his
parents to this township and now lives on the farm which they here located upon, and which he purchased from the other heirs at their
death. He was married, March 17, 1853, to DOROTHEA WAGNER, also a native of Alsace, and born June 14, 1834. Mr. HERRMANN owns a fine
farm of eighty acres, and has a family of seven children, viz., EMELINE, CAROLINE, FREDERICK, HENRY, MATILDA, ELEANOR and LAURA. He and
wife are members of the Lutheran Church, and are upright and industrious citizens.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



H.L. JAQUES, Biography, County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

H.L. JAQUES, son of A.C. and ANNA JAQUES, natives of Switzerland, was born in Defiance County, Ohio, May 9, 1842.
The parents were respectively born in 1779 and 1782 [sic], were married in Switzerland, and in 1832 came to America,
lived in various parts of Ohio, and are now passing their declining days with their children, of whom they have had a family of twelve.
H.L. JAQUES came to this township with his parents, and in the fall of 1861, enlisted in Company A, Thirty-eighth Ohio
Volunteer Infantry, served two years in the field, was wounded in the right thigh, September 25, 1863, and lay in hospital until
May, 1864, when he was discharged. July 4, 1867, he married LUCINDA SHAFER, a native of this county and born
March 19, 1842. In 1868, he moved on his father's farm, remained a year, then took another and farmed until 1881, went to
Melbern and engaged in merchandising a year, and then, in the spring of 1882, settled on his present farm. He and wife are
members of the M.E. Church, are the parents of two children--LYLE E. and LULU E.--and are useful and respected citizens.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



J.L. JORDIN, Biography, County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

J.L. JORDIN is the son of L.D. and LUCINDA JORDIN, who were natives of Vermont. The father was born October 9, 1804,
and was a son of JAMES JORDIN, who was born in Massachusetts and of Irish origin, and at an early day settled in Vermont,
where he married SARAH HUNTER, by whom he had one child--L.D. JORDIN. This gentleman married, October 9, 1826,
LUCINDA MIRICK, who was born June 12, 1808; they left Vermont in 1833 and came to Licking County, Ohio,
where they remained about twenty years, then moved to Mercer County, Ohio, and in 1857 came to Williams County,
where Mrs. JORDIN died February 23, 1879, and Mr. JORDIN April 23, 1879. They had a family of five children,
of whom J.L. JORDIN was the eldest. He was born in Orleans County, Vt., January 14, 1828, and was married in
Licking County, Ohio, October 1, 1848, to LYDIA E. VARNUM, who was born in Middlesex County, Mass.,
February 22, 1829, the daughter of PRESCOTT and LYDIA VARNUM. In 1852, J.L. and wife moved from Licking to
Mercer County, and thence, in the spring of 1858, to Williams County, where they settled in Pulaski Township; in 1865,
he purchased 120 acres on Section 16 in this township, where he has ever since resided. He has a family of four children,
viz., ELLIS L., born August 3, 1849; HENRY V., May 2, 1853; JULIA L., April 4, 1862, and OAKLEY A.,
April 11, 1872. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and stand very high i the estimation of the community.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



GEORGE KELLER, Biography 

County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Mill Creek Township

GEORGE KELLER is a native of Lebanon County, Penn., and was born December 3, 1816. He was the fourth of the six children
of WILLIAM and SARAH (SALTZABER)[sic] KELLER, also natives of Pennyslvania. When fourteen years of age he accompanied his parents
to Richland County, this State, where they settled and where he was reared to manhood. April 17, 1844, he married ELIZA MILLER, of
York County, Penn. In 1846, he moved to Lucas County, Ohio, and in 1849 removed to Fulton County. In the spring of 1870, he again changed
his residence, coming to this township and locating on the farm of ninety-five acres where he yet resides. His farm is rich in
soil, is well cultivated, and is improved with excellent buildings. In politics, Mr. KELLER is independent, supporting only such men
and issues as meet with the approval of his judgement. In religion, both he and wife are Lutheran and belong to the church
conducted under the auspices of that denomination.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio October 2002 JWS



___________________________________________________________



SETH KEMBLE, Biography, County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

SETH KEMBLE, son of SAMUEL and JANE KEMBLE, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, December 31, 1830,
and with his parents removed to Hancock County in the fall of 1851. He remained with them until he was over twenty-three years of age,
when he returned to Columbiana County and was married, June 8, 1854, to TAMAR G. CRAWFORD, who was born in Columbiana
County April 24, 1831. He then came back to Hancock County, where he purchased property and remained until the spring of 1865,
when he came to Williams County and settled on his present farm, on Section 14, this township. He has 141 acres of very fine land,
with a fine brick residence and other first-class improvements. His wife has borne him eight children, viz. DUSTON, Er. H., EDWARD C.,
VICTOR S., JOHN C., SETH W. (deceased), NANCY J., and ALICE L. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
and he and family are regarded as useful members of the community in which they live.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



JACOB LANE, Biography, County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

JACOB LANE was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, February 13, 1832. His parents, JAMES and NANCY LANE, were natives of
Westmoreland County, Penn., where they married, moving in 1829, to Tuscarawas County, where they remained until 1859, when they
came to Centre Township, Williams County, where the death of JAMES LANE occurred March 4, 1875. Mrs. LANE's death occurred
the year following in February, while with her daughter in Defiance County. Their family consisted of nine children, six surviving.
JACOB LANE came with his parents to Williams County, where he married, February 17, 1856, Miss KEREN HORTON. Here he
purchased a saw-mill, conducting the business at Williams Centre until August 6, 1861, when he responded to his country's call and enlisted
in Company A, Thirty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving through the entire war. He returned home July 12, 1865, and purchased the farm
which is his present home. The second Mrs. LANE to whom he was married September 22, 1868, was Miss REBECCA RIDENOUR,
a native of Wayne County, where she was born December 7, 1842, and daughter of JOHN and SUSANNA RIDENOUR. The family
consists of six children, three by each marriage. Mr. and Mrs. LANE are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. LANE has a fine farm
of 205 acres in a high state of cultivation; has met with success in his undertakings, and is universally esteemed. He is a member of the G.A.R.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



Commemorative Biographical Record of Northwestern Ohio, including the Counties of Defiance, Henry,
Williams and Fulton. Chicago J.H. Beers & Co., 1899.

JONATHAN MARKEL, Biography, 

More than half a century has passed since this gentleman arrived in Williams county, and he is justly numbered among
her honored pioneers and leading citizens. During this time he has been actively identified with her agricultural interests, and is
now residing in Section 4, Pulaski township. His valuable farm of one hundred and fifty-two acres was a wild wooded tract when he
purchased it in 1848, paying for the same about five hundred dollars, but his arduous labors have been well rewarded, and it now one of
the best and most attractive farms in the community.

A native of Ohio, Mr. Markel was born January 1, 1825, in Pickaway county, a son of Abraham and Mary (Stumpf) Markel, natives
of Berks county, Pennsylvania. In connection with farming the father also followed carpentering for some years in Pickaway
county, Ohio, whither he had removed in an early day. There he died in March, 1845, aged sixty-two years, and his wife passed
away at the residence of her daughter in Jefferson township, Williams county, at the age of eighty-two years. Eight children constituted
their family, namely Amos, Jacob, Margaret, Mary, Jonathan, Hester, and two who died in infancy.

On his father's farm in Pickaway county, Jonathan Markel continued to reside until coming to Williams county in the spring
of 1845, working for his brother Amos, in Jefferson township, three seasons, and for A.W. Boynton, at Pulaski, for one year. In 1849
he located upon his present farm in Pulaski township, which he had purchased the year previous, and to its cultivation and
improvement he has since devoted his energies with gratifying results. In March, 1882, he had the misfortune to have his house and its
contents destroyed by fire, but has since erected a pleasant residence, and the other buildings upon the place are in harmony therewith.

On July 4, 1849, Mr. Markel was married to Miss Sarah Jane Clampitt, who was born in Wayne county, Indiana, May 8, 1825, a
daughter of John and Mary (Beeson) Clampitt, both natives of Guilford county, North Carolina, the former born May 21, 1803, the latter
on June 12, 1804. In 1840 Mr. and Mrs. Clampitt came to Pulaski, Williams county, Ohio, where he worked at this trade of
blacksmithing until his death, which occurred June 2, 1854. Subsequently his wife found a pleasant home with our subject, where she passed
away February 21, 1882. They were the parents of nine children Sarah J., David A., Elizabeth E., Edward B., Benjamin F., Mary,
Samantha C., John W. and Jabez B. Mr. and Mrs. Markel have reared two children, namely Sarah E. Boynton, now the wife of Bartlett
Thompson; and Florence Rose Leek, wife of Sherman Kelly.

Politically Mr. Markel is a Republican, and his fellow citizens, recognizing hs worth and ability, have elected him to several
local offices of honor and trust. For the long period of seventeen years he creditably served as trustee of Pulaski township, and
for six years was infirmary director. Both he and his wife are leading and active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Pulaski,
and enjoy the respect and esteem of all who have the pleasure of their acquaintance. For almost fifty years they have traveled
life's journey together, sharing with each other its joys and sorrows, its adversity and prosperity, and now in their declining days
they are surrounded by a host of warm friends who appreciate their sterling worth.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio, November 2002, JWS.



___________________________________________________________



"Commemorative Biographical Record of Northwestern Ohio; Including the Counties of Defiance, Henry,
Williams & Fulton" Published by J. H. Beers & Co.; Chicago; 1899,Page 52.
Including these surnames:  Marshall, DeBinder, Sharp, Greenler, Rule,& Hall.

JOHN MARSHALL,

This the senior member of the well-known firm of John Marshall & Son, of Defiance, is one of the representative business
men of that thriving town.  As manufacturers of patent coil elm hoops the firm conducts a large business, their product finding
a market in all parts of the United States, the bulk of it going to Buffalo, New York, to New England, and to Minneapolis, and
other points in the Northwest.

Before entering upon the details of Mr. Marshall's successful career, it will be interesting to note the ancestry on both sides.
In the paternal line his great-grandfather was John Marshall, who came from Germany with a colony early in the eighteenth century.
The bank of emigrants set sail from a port in Holland, and after a voyage much more tedious than a modern tourist need experience,
John Marshall, with his parents, located between 1736 and 1740, in Berks county, Pennsylvania, on the banks of The Tulpehocken.
He had made an agreement in Germany to pay for his passage after his arrival in America.  During the Revolutionary war he served
as a soldier under Washington, and his son Conrad, our subject's grandfather, who was born in 1767, was a soldier in the war of 1812.
Conrad Marshall (2), the father of our subject, was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, in 1798, and followed farming in Berks
county, Pennsylvania, and Logan county, Ohio.  He married Anna Sophia Debinder, a native of Canada, and in 1848 removed
with his family to Jefferson township, Logan county, Ohio, where he spent his later years in agricultural pursuits, his death occurring
in 1866.  His widow died at New Rutland, La Salle county, Illinois, in 1868.

The DeBinder family was of French origin, and our subject's grandfather, Doctor George DeBinder, and his wife, Theresa, came to
America with General La Fayette.  Doctor George DeBinder served with distinction in the war of the Revolution as a surgeon
in the Colonial forces, and at the close of the struggle settled in Canada, where he practiced medicine during the remainder of his
life.

The subject of this sketch was born in Port Clinton, Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, June 25, 1830, and was educated there in
the subscription schools of that time.  Coming to Ohio with his parents as a young man, he saw the opportunities open to a
mechanic, and in 1840 began to learn the carpenter's trade, serving an apprenticeship of three years.  At twenty-five he
was united in marriage with Miss Hilda Sharp, and the same year established a sawmill in Bokes Creek township, Logan county, remaining
there from 1855 to 1865.  He then went to Milton, Indiana, and build a distillery, which he sold after conducting it one year.
Returning to Ohio in 1866, he bought a sawmill in Hale township, Hardin county, but in 1869 he was obliged to go back to Milton,
as the part taking the distillery had failed to make the payments agreed upon, and it came again into Mr. Marshall's hands.
After operating it a year it was destroyed by fire, with a loss of twenty thousand dollars.  Mr. Marshall's next venture was
the purchase, in 1870, of a sawmill and grocery at Bellefontaine, Ohio, and these he conducted successfully until April, 1874, when
he sold the grocery and moved his mill to Paulding Center, Paulding county, Ohio.  In August, 1874, he again moved the plant,
locating this time in Defiance, where he has ever since remained.  He engaged in the sawing of lumber in the manufacture
of felloes and gearing, and other materials for wagon-making.

In 1882 the firm of Marshall & Greenler was formed, consisting of John Marshall, Louis A. Marshall, his son, and John S.
Greenler.  On the death of Louis A. Marshall in 1892, his interest was purchased by his father, and the firm continued as John
Marshall & Greenler until 1894, when Mr. Marshall sold his share to Mr. Greenler and entered into the present partnership with his son.
Charles E. Marshall, in the hoop business.  They operate a plant requiring about thirty-seven hands, and use a stem engine
of eighty-horse power, turning out, approximately forty-nine thousand dollars' worth of goods annually.  The firm is also
interested in cider making, conducting a large mill with a capacity of seventy-five barrels a day.

Mr. Marshall has had three children:  (I) Louis (deceased), married Miss Johanna Rule, by whom he had one son, John Chauncey
Marshall.  (2) Charles E., the junior member of the firm, was born in Logan county, Ohio, in 1863, married Miss Kate Hall,
and they have four children -- Walter, Garwood, Jennie and Ralph.  (3) Miss Carried D. Marshall, the youngest, is bookkeeper
for the firm.

Mrs. Marshall's father, John Sharp, was a native of Virginia, and came to Ohio with his parents at a very early day in one of
the colonies.  They located at Chillicothe in 1797.  The Sharp family settled in Logan county, on the head waters of the
Big Darby creek, in 1802, where Mrs. Marshall was born.



___________________________________________________________



Submitted by Kevin Motter, April 10. 2005

Motter family of Williams County

The first Motter to settle in Williams County was Jacob Motter, born 1 Jan 1828/1835 in Germany, married 3 Nov 1856 Lovina L.
Fogle, born 1836/37 in Canton Ohio, Stark County, died 12 Jan 1903. According to newspaper accounts, Jacob was a prosperous farmer
in Florence Township. Jacob died tragically in Bryan Ohio on 7 Jun 1874.

Lovina gave birth to Frances Motter, born 6 Dec 1866, married Franklin Gloar 15 Sep 1887, married Albert D. Lash 1898, died
18 Mar 1912 in Detroit Mich Lovina then gave birth to Clyde Jacob Motter 4 Nov 1874 near Eden Ohio. Jacob, Lovina and Frances Motter
are buried together in West Buffalo Cemetery, southeast of Blakeslee, Ohio.

Clyde Jacob Motter married Eunice L. Ennis 8 May 1907 and were the parents of Ralph Edgar Motter Sr., born 24 June 1909 in
Montpelier, Ohio died 27 May 1972, Adelyn Allegra Motter, born 30 April 1910 died 14 October 1911, Darold Lavonne Motter,
born 29 July 1912 died 31 July 1912, Laverne Estelle Motter, born 9 Aug 1914 died 9 October 1982, Laurice Alene Motter, born
15 Dec 1916 died 22 Nov 1961, Harriet Lucretia Motter, born 15 Dec 1918.

Clyde and Eunice Motter are buried in Eden Cemetery, Eden, Ohio with their children, Laurice, Adelyn and Ralph Sr. Laverne is
buried in Riverside Cemetery, Montpelier, Ohio.

Ralph Edgar Motter Sr. married Margaret L. Woods had three children, Joan, Jerry and Ralph Jr. divorced and married Carol Matthews.
Ralph and Carol had three children Kelly, Kevin and Kathleen.

The early members of the Motter family were industrious and hard working. Their lives were marred by hardship and tragedy.
The later generations carry on the work ethic and close family spirit of the early generations.



___________________________________________________________



ALFRED RILEY, Biography, 

County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Bridgewater Township

ALFRED RILEY, County Commissioner, was born in Stark County, Ohio, February 11, 1832, and was one of the five children born
to JOHN and DRUSILLA (CARR) RILEY, also natives of Stark. ALFRED's mother died when he was about six years of age, and he then went
to reside with a sister, also a resident of Stark, who, with her husband, removed to Williams County in 1845, ALFRED accompanying
her. He received a good common-school education, and at the age of eighteen began to work out by the month on his own account, until,
when about twenty-three, he married ELIZA KOLLAR, a native of Wayne County. He then bought fifty acres of land in Superior
Township, on which he lived for about seven years, when he sold it and bought his present farm of 100 acres, and forty acres east of it,
in this township, all of which is rich in soil, nearly all under cultivation, and improved with excellent buildings, wind pump, etc.
In politics, Mr. RILEY has always been a Republican; he has served as Trustee of his township, and in 1880 was elected County
Commissioner, of which office he is now the incumbent. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and were
the parents of six children, viz. LEONORA, EMMA (deceased), MARY E., LIDA, WILLIAM and CORA BELLE. The eldest daughter is married,
and her husband is assisting in the cultivation of the home farm.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio October 2002 JWS



___________________________________________________________



FREDERICK W. SHAMMEL, Biography, 

County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Bridgewater Township

FREDERICK W. SHAMMEL was born in Tiffin, Ohio, May 21, 1852, and was the only child of FREDERICK and MARGARET (LANTZ) SHAMMEL,
natives of Germany. The elder SHAMMEL, who was a livery stable keeper in Tiffin, went to California when FRED W. was about
a year old, and, as nothing has been heard of him since, the supposition is that he is dead. The mother continued to live at Tiffin
till 1869, when she was again married. Soon after the departure of the elder SHAMMEL, FRED was taken charge of by JACOB LANTZ, a
wealthy farmer of this township. He received a good common-school education, and when about twenty years old settled on his present
farm of 110 acres, over ninety of which are under cultivation. March 7, 1875, he married Miss ELIZABETH MORRIS, a native of this
township, and to their union have been born two children--FRANK and FRED. With the exception of one vote cast for the Greenback ticket,
Mr. SHAMMEL has always given his suffrage to the Democrats.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio October 2002 JWS



___________________________________________________________



DAVID SPANGLER, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

DAVID SPANGLER is the son of JACOB and ELIZA SPANGLER. He is the third of a family of eight children, and was born in Centre
Township, in this county, on the 6th day of March, 1840, and has always lived here. He was married, March 12, 1862, to SARAH E. SMITH,
who was born in Wayne County, Ohio, January 26, 1842, a daughter of WILLIAM and SARAH SMITH. About one year after his marriage,
he purchased the farm on which he now lives, on which he moved, and on which he has remained ever since. His farm comprises eighty acres
of fine land, with improvements. Mr. and Mrs. SPANGLER have a family of four children--CLARA D., ULYSSES G., DORA E. and CHARLIE.
Both are hospitable and worthy, and Mrs. SPANGLER is a member of the church.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



"Commemorative Biographical Record of Northwestern Ohio; Including the Counties of Defiance, Henry, Williams &
Fulton"

Published by J. H. Beers & Co.; Chicago; 1899, Page 470.

Including these surnames:  Spangler, Greenler, Swartz, Tuttle, & Taylor.

JOHN SPANGLER 

Prominent among the successful farmers and extensive stock raisers of Defiance county, may be named the subject of this
historical notice, whose homestead is in the North precinct, Richland township, and who, by his enterprise and energy in the direction
of his chosen industry, has given to his work a significance and beauty of which few deemed it capable.

Mr. Spangler comes from the beautiful land of the Alps, born near the River Rhine, in Canton Schaffhausen, Switzerland, May 4, 1836,
a son of John and Elizabeth Spangler, also natives of that country, whence they emigrated to America in 1845.  With their
three children -- our subject and two daughters -- they embarked on a sailing vessel, which after a long and tedious voyage of
forty-two days landed them safely at New York.  Coming direct to Ohio, they spent nine years in Franklin township, Fulton
county, and then removed to Defiance county, locating north of the city of Defiance, where they lived for several years.
On leaving the farm, they took up their residence in the city, where both died.

The subject of this sketch came with his parents to Defiance county, and made his home with them until twenty-nine years of age,
although he spent a portion of that time in the West.  In 1864 he took a drove of horses across the Plains to California
by way of Fort Laramie and Salt Lake City, and remained on the Pacific slope for two years engaged in teaming.  Returning to
Defiance county in 1866, he was employed in buying and shipping stock for about a year, and then engaged in the flour and feed business,
and also conducted a meat market in Defiance, in company with John Greenler and Alexander Swartz.  At the end of nine months,
however, he disposed of his interest in the business, and went to Florida, Ohio, where he purchased a grist-mill, which he
successfully operated for nine years.  Selling out, he returned to Defiance county, and in 1877 bought his present farm in
North Richland, on which he has since lived, devoting his energies to general farming and stock dealing.  Prosperity has
crowned his efforts, and he is now the owner of a fine farm of two hundred and twenty acres, on which he has erected an
elegant residence, built good barns and other outbuildings, and made many other valuable improvements, so that it is now classed among
the most desirable farms of the township.

On the 25th of July, 1869, in Defiance, Mr. Spangler was united in marriage with Miss Isabella Tuttle, who was born in that city
December 11, 1847, and died on the farm in North Richland township, October 6, 1888.  Her father was the late John Tuttle,
one of the early settlers of Defiance county, where for many years he was engaged in the grain and mercantile business.  To Mr.
and Mrs. Spangler were born seven children, namely:  John D., Fred W., Herman A., Mary (wife of Horace Taylor), Grace E., Carrie I.
and Florence M.

Since attaining his majority Mr. Spangler had been identified with the Democratic party, and has done all within his power for
its success in the community in which he resides.  He has ably served as treasurer and trustee of his township and filled other
minor offices.  He was also elected infirmary director, but resigned that position at the end of a year.  He is one of
the most valued and highly respected citizens of his community, and wherever known is held in high regard.



___________________________________________________________



TIMOTHY W. STOCKING, Biography  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Bridgewater Township

TIMOTHY W. STOCKING was born in Madison County, N.Y., January 1, 1818, and is one of eight children born to JOHN A. and
POLLY (TRAIN) STOCKING, the former a native of New York and the latter born near Boston. The elder Mr. STOCKING was a minister of the
denomination known as Christians, and was one of the pioneers of that society. About 1821, he moved with his family to Tioga County, Penn.;
remained there two or three years, then returned to Steuben County, N.Y., where he died in 1836. Two years later, TIMOTHY, then
twenty years old, married SARAH ADAMS, a native of Wayne County, N.Y., and daughter of JOSEPH and FANNY ADAMS. The newly wedded
pair emigrated to Washtenaw County, Mich., where he worked as carpenter at Ann Arbor and other points till about 1853, when he came
to this township and bought his present farm and several other lots, which he sold about fifteen years ago. About 1866, Mr. STOCKING
went to Bryan, and remained there about three years, serving as Assistant Assessor of Internal Revenue. He has also served three
terms as County Commissioner, and has held the offices of Deputy Collector of Internal Revenue, Township Clerk and Township Trustee.
He is a member of the I.O.O.F., was a Granger and is a Republican. To his marriage with Miss ADAMS were born four children, viz.,
JOSEPH E., FRANCES L. (deceased), JULIA A. (deceased) and ADELAIDE.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio October 2002 JWS



___________________________________________________________



J.K. STORER, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

J.K. STORER is a native of Maine, and was born May 25, 1838. September 27, 1860, he married Miss ANNA R. McLAUGHLIN, also
a native of Maine. He conducted a saw-mill at the place of his nativity from the time of his marriage until 1865, when he moved to Fayetteville,
Lincoln Co., Tenn., where he remained about one year, then removed to Warrensville, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio; remained a short time, and then
came to Williams Centre, this township, and engaged with Mr. C.W. KITTREDGE in saw-milling, which business they conducted together till the
fall of 1868, when Mr. STORER bought out his partner's interest, and alone ran the mill until January, 1873, when Mr. W.S. WILSEY came in
as a partner and remained four years, when he withdrew. Mr. STORER has since continued the business himself, dealing in and manufacturing native
lumber, lath, fork, hoe and broom handles. Mrs. STORER died April 4, 1875, and December 6, the same year, Mr. STORER married her sister,
LAURA D. McLAUGHLIN, born in Maine May 22, 1845. His children are two in number--FRANK R., born August 7, 1877, and ANNA M., born
January 4, 1880. Mr. STORER is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is regarded by his townsmen as an upright and enterprising citizen.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



GEORGE W. STRONG, Biography, 

County of Williams, Ohio,
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Biographical Sketches Bridgewater Township

GEORGE W. STRONG was born February 24, 1820, in Allegany County, N.Y., and was the youngest of nineteen children born to
LUTHER and ABIGAIL (WOODRUFF) STRONG, both natives of Connecticut. When GEORGE W. was eight years of age, his parents removed to Potter
County, Penn., where his father died. In 1842, GEORGE married JANE VANINWEGEN, a native of the Genesee Valley, N.Y., and a year later
he bought a farm in Potter County, which he cultivated for two years; then engaged at milling, and then at cabinet-making until
thirty-four years of age, when he moved to Ovid, Mich., and worked as millwright and carpenter for two years, when he lost his
wife. In 1857 he married Mrs. SUSANNAH FULLER, a native of Ohio. In 1861, he entered the army and took part in the famous battle of
Shiloh, afterward performing hospital duties. In August, 1863, he came to Williams County, and resumed his old occupation of milling,
for which he has quite a talent, and ranks among the best in the business. His present mill (lath and shingle) was moved to this
township in 1879, and with it he is doing a thriving business. He is a member of the Free-Will Baptist Church, and in politics
is a Republican. He has five children living--IVA and WALTER H., who are at home; ELI, a millwright; ORNO, editor of the Nashville
(Mich.) News, and GEORGE, a business man. Mr. STRONG stands very high in the esteem of his neighbors, and is regarded as an
enterprising business man and valuable citizen.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio October 2002 JWS



___________________________________________________________



JOHN P. WERTZ, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

JOHN P. WERTZ, the son of HENRY and JULIA WERTZ, was born in Germany November 22, 1822. His father was born about 1781, and his
mother about 1786. They were married in Germany, and died there, she in May, 1831, and he about three weeks after. HENRY WERTZ was twice
married, his first wife being CAROLINE SUBER, who bore him three children; his second was JULIA OGLE, the mother of JOHN P., who was
the only child born of the second marriage. In 1840, JOHN P. WERTZ, in company with a half-sister, came to America, landed at Baltimore,
and thence came to Morgan County, Ohio. One year later, JOHN P. moved to Wood County, bought some property, remained a short time,
and then went to Hancock County, where he resided about six years, and then came to this township and purchased the farm on which he now lives
on Section 14. He returned to Hancock County, and there married, in October, 1849, MARGARET, daughter of JACOB and CATHARINE GRINDLE,
who was born March 12, 1827. He shortly after returned to his farm in this township, where he has ever since resided. He has been a very successful manager,
and has accumulated a great deal of land, which, however, he has liberally divided among his children. He still retains for his own purposes 137 acres,
which are in a thorough state of cultivation, and improved with substantial buildings. All the country was a dense forest when Mr. WERTZ settled in it,
nd all the improvements here have been made through the industry and frugality and enterprise of Mr. WERTZ, who is now passing his declining days in retirement.
He has a family of eight children--HENRY P., JACOB, WILLIAM M., OSCAR, JOHN F., ELIZABETH A., CHARLES I. and DAVID H. Mr. WERTZ
is a man of deep religious feeling, and is universally respected.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.



___________________________________________________________



HARMON WIEMAN, Biography,  County of Williams, Ohio.
Weston A. Goodspeed and Charles Blanchard, editors. Chicago F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers, 1882. Centre Township

HARMON WIEMAN is the son of L. and MARY WIEMAN, and was born in Germany January 15, 1811. He came to America
with his parents in the year 1834. On June 23, 1847, he was married, in Montgomery County, Ohio, to LEGINA M. KLUSE, born in Germany
December 18, 1820. Soon after his marriage, he commenced work in a woolen factory at Miamisburg, in Montgomery County, where he remained
until 1841, when he removed to Williams County and purchased a farm in St. Joseph Township; here he remained until 1851, when he sold
and moved on the place on which he now resides, in Centre Township, Section 30, having 125 acres, which he himself improved. Mr. and Mrs. WIEMAN
have nine children--SARAH, EMILY, HANNAH, JOHN, MATTIE, HARMON, GEORGE, EDWARD and SAMUEL. Both himself and wife are
members of the Lutheran Church. He is a cordial and very excellent man.

Submitted for use by USGENWEB Williams County, Ohio by Janet Wilkinson Schwartz September 2002.





_____________________

Our Little Corner Home Page

Queries     Surnames     Lookups     Your Web Pages     Williams Co.Townships/Map &Neighboring Counties     Sources     Guestbook     Williams County GenWeb Archives

    Williams County Research Information     Williams County Chapter Ohio Genealogical Society     Other Sites of Genealogical Interest     OhioGenWeb     OhioGenWeb Archives

    USGenWeb Home     USGenWeb State Links



Copyright 2009 - 2011 Williams Co OHGenWeb
Site maintained by County Coordinator Kathy Gies