Early Post Offices

Alsuma

Formerly named Welcome. Name changed to Alsuma on February 14, 1906. Discontinued on June 15, 1926. Named for John Alsuma, local merchant. Now within the city limits of southeast Tulsa.

Avery

In Tulsa Co. east of Red Fork (Any additional information is appreciated).

Atlanta

In Tulsa Co. near Snake Creek bridge between Bixby and Leonard (Any additional information is appreciated).

Baldhill

In northeastern Okmulgee Co., 7 miles north of Morris. Post office from August 29, 1896 to October 15, 1908. Took its name from prominent nearby land feature.

Beggs

In northwestern Okmulgee Co., 10 miles northwest of Okmulgee. Post office established September 15, 1900. Named for C. H. Beggs of St. Louis, vice president of Frisco Railroad.

Bixby

Southeast Tulsa Co. Early maps show original location northeast of present-day Leonard. Established July 6, 1899. Relocated in Bixby.

Boles

North of Bixby near Broken Arrow. Any additional information is appreciated.

Bozarth

In Tulsa Co. north of Glenpool (SEC35 - T16N - R12E).

Boynton

In southwestern Muskogee Co. Post office established September 10, 1902. Named for E. w. Boynton, chief engineer of the Shawnee, OK and Missouri Coal & Railway Co.

Broken Arrow

In southeastern Tulsa Co. adjoining Tulsa. Post office established June 9, 1881. Its name is from the Creek word for "broken arrow," which was the name of a Creek community located in Alabama that was reestablished along the north bank of the Arkansas River after Removal.

Clarksville

In southern Wagoner Co., 8 miles east of Haskell. A post office from March 1, 1894 to September 30, 1916. Named for Gus C. Clark, first postmaster.

Coalton

In Okmulgee Co., 4 miles north of Dewar. A post office from August 3, 1909 to February 15, 1941. Named for nearby coal mines.

Cobb

In Okmulgee Co., near Morris. A post office from January 3, 1905 to February 28, 1910. Named for Eli Cobb, first postmaster.

Concharty

In Wagoner Co., several miles east of Stone Bluff. A post office from November 6, 1894 to September 9, 1897. Named for Concharty Micco, a Creek leader and a delegate to the Dawes Commission.

Coretta

In southeastern Wagoner Co., 6 miles north of Muskogee. Post office from February 7, 1891 to January 9, 1893. On November 16, 1900 a post office named Rex was established at this same site.

Council Hill

In southwestern Muskogee Co. Post office established July 3, 1905. Took its name from a well-known land feature, 5 miles west. The Council Hill was used by the Creek Indians for ceremonial purposes.

Coweta

In Wagoner Co., 13 miles southeast of Broken Arrow. Post office established May 24, 1897. Named for Koweta Mission, established by the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions in 1843 as a school for the Creek Indians. The name is from a Creek town on the Chattahoochee River in AL.

Dewar

In Okmulgee Co., 3 miles east of Henryetta. Post office established April 27, 1909. Named for William P. Dewar, official of the Missouri, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad.

Edgar

In Tulsa Co. northeast of Jenks (Any additional information is appreciated).

Edna

In Creek Co., 6 miles southeast of Slick. A post office from February 25, 1903 to September 20, 1957. Name selected by local residents.

Elam

In Tulsa Co., 5 miles west of Broken Arrow. A post office from September 25, 1901 to September 28, 1906. Named for Elam Hodge, townsite allotee.

Elder

In Wagoner Co. near Stone Bluff. Post office established in 1905. (Any additional information appreciated)

Eram

In eastern Okmulgee Co., 5 miles east of Morris. A post office from June 10, 1913 to July 31, 1950. Name was coined from the first letter of the names of the four children of Ed Oates, local Creek Indian -- Eugene, Roderick, Anthony and Marie.

Ezra

In Creek Co., 6 miles east of Slick. A post office from September 17, 1909 to September 30, 1910. Named for Ezra Freeman, first postmaster.

Fry

In Tulsa Co., 6 miles southwest of Broken Arrow. A post office from May 20, 1896 to June 30, 1909. Named for Robert Fry, early-day resident.

Furrs

Present Henryetta, in Okmulgee Co. Post office established May 12, 1899. Name changed to Henryetta, August 28, 1900. Named for Albert C. Furr, long-time local resident.

Gatesville

In southern Wagoner Co., 5 miles west of Clarksville. A post office from August 2, 1901 to November 30, 1913. Named for Alfred Gates, first postmaster.

Gibson Station

In southeastern Wagoner Co. Post office from March 29, 1872 to August 15, 1933. It took its name from nearby Ft. Gibson.

Glenpool

In southwestern Tulsa Co. Post office established January 30, 1908. Named for Ida E. Glen, owner of the land on which the discovery oil well was drilled, December 1, 1907 (gusher date).

Gritts

In southern Muskogee Co., 4 miles southwest of Webers Falls. Post office from March 21, 1896 to October 30, 1909. Named for Franklin Gritts, local merchant.

Haskell

Formerly Sawokla. In northwestern Muskogee Co. Post office name changed to Haskell June 20, 1904. Named for Charles N. Haskell.

Haynes

In Wagoner Co., 5 miles north of Muskogee. Post office from January 5, 1904 to May 15, 1914.

Hector

In northern Okmulgee Co., 12 miles east of Haskell. Post office from July 26, 1909 to December 31, 1910. Named for James Hector, first postmaster.

Henryetta

Formerly Furrs. In southern Okmulgee Co. Post office name changed to Henryetta August 28, 1900. Named for Henry G. Beard and his wife, Etta Ray Beard.

Hereford

Present Warner, in southern Muskogee Co. Post office established April 1, 1903. Name changed to Warner April 22, 1905. Named for well-known Hereford cattle sales conducted locally by Campbell Russell, prominent rancher and cattleman.

Heyburn

In Creek Co., 8 miles northeast of Bristow. Post office from December 14, 1911 to October 14, 1922. Named for James Heyburn, Frisco Railroad official, Monett, MO.

Hilton

In eastern Creek Co., 3 miles east of Sapulpa. Post office from June 28, 1910 to April 30, 1913. Named for William Hilton, prominent local resident.

Hoffman

In Okmulgee Co., 9 miles northeast of Henryetta. Post office established December 18, 1905. Named for Roy Hoffman, Oklahoma City attorney.

Jamesville

A rural community in Muskogee Co., 13 miles west of Muskogee. On October 15, 1908 a post office named Ridge had been discontinued at approximately this location. Named for Warren James, Haskell resident.

Jenks

In Tulsa Co., adjoining southwest Tulsa. Post office established January 31, 1905. Named for Elmer e. Jenks, long-time local resident.

Kellyville

In central Creek Co. Post office established November 27, 1893. Named for James E. Kelly, long-time local merchant.

Kiefer

Formerly Praper In eastern Creek Co. Post office name changed to Keifer December 12, 1906. Named for Smith Kiefer, long-time local resident.

Kusa

In southern Okmulgee Co., 2 miles northeast of Dewar. Post office from April 1, 1916 to May 30, 1936. Its name comes from Coosa, a Creek town in Alabama.

Liberty

In Tulsa Co. & Okmulgee Co. southwest of Bixby.

Lee

Formerly Wellington. In western Muskogee Co., 3 miles northwest of Boynton. Post office name changed to Lee July 22, 1892. Discontinued November 30, 1911. Named for David A. Lee, first postmaster.

Leonard

In southeastern Tulsa Co. Post office established August 22, 1908. Named for Oliver H. Leonard, Tulsa banker.

Lynn Lane

Rural community in Tulsa Co., now in Tulsa city limits (east side adjoining Broken Arrow). Named by Mrs. Lela W. Hodges, local resident, after reading East Lynne.

McLain

In Muskogee Co., 5 miles north of Warner. Post office from September 18, 1894 to June 30, 1915. Named for William McLain, long-time Cherokee jurist.

Mohawk

In Tulsa Co., now in Tulsa city limits (northwest). Post office from May 18, 1906 to July 10, 1915. Named for the Mohawk Indians, one of the Six Nations of the Iroquois Confederacy.

Morris

In central Okmulgee Co. Post office established March 26, 1903. Named for H. E. Morris of Joplin, MO, railroad official.

Mounds

Made up of former Twin Mounds and Posey. In southeastern Creek Co. Present site is 5 miles southwest of original post office location. Name changed to Mounds April 19, 1898. Took its name from prominent twin mound feature northeast of present townsite.

Muskogee

County seat of Muskogee Co. Record Town for Recording District No. 10, Indian Territory. Post office established January 18, 1872. Until July 19, 1900, the official spelling of the post office was Muscogee. Took its name from the Muscogee Tribe of the Creek Nation.

Natura

In Okmulgee Co., 9 miles east of Beggs. Post office from January 3, 1905 to December 15, 1910. Name is the Latin word for nature.

Naudack

In Okmulgee Co., 5 miles south of Morris. Post office from July 20, 1903 to Feburary 14, 1906. Named for Rufus B. Naudack, first postmaster.

Neodesha

In Wagoner Co., 6 miles north of Wagoner. Post office from August 1, 1905 to July 15, 1937. Railroad name was Ross. Its name came from Neodesha, KS.

Newby

In Creek Co., 10 miles south of Bristow. Post office from Foctober 17, 1902 to November 30, 1955.

North Fork Town

An important creek settlement prior to the Civil War. Often known as Micco. Located two miles east of Eufaula in McIntosh Co.

Oakhurst

In Tulsa Co., adjoining Tulsa on the southwest. Post office established December 12, 1918.

Okmulgee

County seat of Okmulgee Co. Record Town for Recording District No. 9, Indian Territory. Capital of the Creek Nation. Post office established April 29, 1869. Until November 15, 1883, the official spelling of the post office was Okmulkee. The name comes from a Creek town in Russell Co. AL and is a Creek word oki mulgi, meaning 'boiling waters.'

Oktaha

In central Muskogee Co. Post office established August 6, 1900. Named for Oktahasars Harjo, or Sands, well-known Creek chief of the Civil War period.

Oneta

In western Wagoner Co., 5 miles southeast of Broken Arrow. Post office from July 7, 1905 to November 30, 1922.

Orcutt

In Okmulgee Co., 5 miles north of Beggs. Post office from Feburary 21, 1894 to January 4, 1898. Named for A. D. Orcutt, prominent local rancher.

Philipsburg

In Creek Co. near Bristow. Post office from July 16, 1894 to August 20, 1898. Also spelled Phillipsburg.

Poag

In Tulsa Co. north of Glenpool (SEC26 - T18N - R12E).

Porter

In southern Wagoner Co., 10 miles southwest of Wagoner. Post office established June 1, 1903. Named for Pleasant Porter, Creek Chief.

Posey

In southern Tulsa Co. about 3 miles west of Bixby. Post office established March 18, 1895. On April 19, 1898 this post office was moved to Mounds 5 miles southwest of the original location. Named for Alexander L. Posey (1873 - 1908) Creek leader and poet.

Praper

Present Kiefer, in Creek Co. Post office established June 26, 1901; on December 12, 1906 the site was moved 2 1/2 miles west and name changed to Kiefer.

Preston

In Okmulgee Co., 7 miles north of Okmulgee. First known locally as Hamilton Switch. Post office established December 13, 1909. Named for Harry Preston, Okmulgee oilman.

Rabbit Ford

Well-known crossing on the Arkansas River, 5 miles east of Muskogee. Named for Rabbit, a slave of William C. Coodey, early-day resident.

Red Bird

In Wagoner Co., 5 miles southeast of Coweta. Post office established June 20, 1902.

Red Fork

In Tulsa Co., adjoining Tulsa on the southwest and now within the city limits. Post office established January 1884 and discontinued July 31, 1928 to become Red Fork Station of the Tulsa Post Office. Named for the Red Fork of the Arkansas River.

Rentie

In Tulsa Co., located at present 91st and Harvard in the Tulsa city limits. Post office from January 21, 1904 to May 31, 1909. Named for Stephen Rentie, townsite owner.

Ridge

In northwestern Muskogee Co., 7 miles west of Taft. Post office from December 29, 1884 to October 15, 1908. Named for the high terrain on which the site was located.

Robbins

In Creek Co., 7 miles southeast of Bristow. Post office established April 2, 1903. Name changed to Tabor on December 12, 1903. Named for Tom Robbins, early-day resident.

Sabo

In Creek Co., 2 miles northeast of Kiefer. Post office from October 25, 1907 to April 30, 1913. Named for C. r. Sabo, local resident.

Sapulpa

County seat of Creek Co. Record Town for recording District No. 8, Indian Territory. Post office established July 1, 1889. Named for the Creek leader Sas-pul-ber, whose son, James Sapulpa, lived near where a railroad construction camp was located. Creek Co. was intended to be named Moman Co. in honor of the mother of Moman Pruiett. The name was changed at the last moment by the Constitutional Convention. In the engrossed cop;y of the constitution, Creek Co. appears following Mayes Co. It was named for the Creek Nation. The word is from the term 'Ochese Creek Indians,' used by the early British settlers.

Sawokla

Present Haskell, in Muskogee Co. Post office established June 17, 1902, and name changed to Haskell June 20, 1904. Its name comes from a small band of Muskhogeans in Alabama that was later absorbed into the Creek Nation. The word means racoon town and is often spelled Sawokli.

Scales

In Tulsa Co., adjoining Tulsa on the east and now within the city limits. Post office from June 10, 1904 to March 31, 1909. Named for Henry Scales, local coal operator.

Schulter

In Okmulgee Co., 6 miles north of Henryetta. Post office established August 20, 1903. Named for Matt Schulter, St. Louis jurist.

Senora

In southern Okmulgee Co., 3 miles south of Dewar. Post office established April 20, 1896. Name changed to Hoardsville on February 8, 1909. Named for Senora Likowski, mother of Frank Likowski, first postmaster.

Seymour

A traveling post office at the railhead during construction of the Santa Fe Railway. In operation from November 15, 1886 to May 13, 1887.

Slick

In eastern Creek Co., 9 miles southeast of Bristow. Post office established April 28, 1920. Named for Thomas B. Slick, prominent oil producer.

Shellenbarger

North of Bixby (Any additional information is appreciated).

Shippey

Near Broken Arrow to the southeast. Any additional information is appreciated.

Sofka

In Creek Co., 3 miles west of Bristow. Post office from August 27, 1894 to December 14, 1897. Took its name from sofka, a thin Indian gruel popular with the Creek Indians.

Stone Bluff

In southwestern Wagoner Co., 6 miles northwest of Haskell. Post office from May 28, 1897 to August 31, 1955. Took its name from nearby stone bluffs formed by the north face of Conjada Mountain, overlooking the Arkansas River.

Summit

In Muskogee Co., 6 miles southwest of Muskogee. A post office from fMay 18, 1896 to November 15, 1915. The site is the highest point on the Katy Railroad between the Arkansas and North Canadian Rivers.

Taft

Formerly Twine. In Muskogee Co., 8 miles west of Muskogee. Post office name changed to Taft November 18, 1904. Named for William H. Taft, secretary of war and later President.

Taneha

In Creek Co., 4 miles north of Sapulpa. A switch on the Frisco, the name fell into disuse when a post office named Bowden was established in 1909 at the site. The word is Creek meaning 'oil is below.'

Thompsonville

A rural community in Creek Co., 6 miles south of Kellyville. Townsite plat filed July 7, 1922. Named for J. W. Thompson, townsite owner.

Three Forks

The traditional name applied to the region immediately north of Muskogee at the confluence of the Neosho/Grand, Verdigris and Arkansas Rivers.

Tiger

In Okmulgee Co., 6 miles northwest of Okmulgee. Post office from December 3, 1890 to September 14, 1891. Named for Moty Tiger, Creek Chief. Another Tiger post office was located in northwestern Creek Co., 2 miles north of Drumright. Post office from fJune 30, 1910 to March 31, 1913. Named from Tiger Township, organized 1896. Tiger Township was named for Billy Tiger, prominent Creek Indian.

Tullahassee

In southern Wagoner Co., 5 miles northwest of Muskogee. Post office established January 26, 1899. Took its name from nearby Tullahassee Mission. The name is a Creek word meaning 'old town.'

Tulsa

County seat of Tulsa Co. Post office established March 25, 1879. Its name comes from Tulsey Town, an old Creek town in Alabama. Tulsa Co. was created at statehood in 1907. It took its name from Tulsa.

Turner

In Wagoner Co., east of Broken Arrow. Post office from April 23, 1901 to Cotober 15, 1908. Named for Clarence W. Turner, hardware dealer and rancher.

Twine

Present Taft, in Muskogee Co. Post office established March 28, 1902. Name changed to Taft November 18, 1904. Named for W. H. Twine, early-day resident.

Vance

In northeastern Wagoner Co., 7 miles northeast of Broken Arrow. Post office from March 28, 1902 to April 30, 1904. Named for Malinda Vance, first postmaster.

Wagoner

County seat of Wagoner Co. Record Town for Recording District No. 7 Indian Territory. Post office established Feburary 25, 1888. Named for 'Big Foot' Wagoner of Parsons, Kansas, train dispatcher.

Wainwright

In western Muskogee Co., 18 miles east of Okmulgee. Post office established October 20, 1905. Named for W. H. Wainwright, local banker.

Watson

In Tulsa Co. north of Glenpool (SEC3 - T17N - R12E).

Wealaka

In southeastern Tulsa Co., 2 miles northwest of Leonard. Post office from April 8, 1880 to August 31, 1910. Site of Wealaka Mission, established 1881. The name is a Creek word meaning 'rising water.'

Weer

On the county line, 6 miles south of Broken Arrow. Post office from February 21, 1894 to November 30, 1906. Named for John E. Weer, local gin operator.

Welcome

Name changed to Alsuma. Post office established May 7, 1905. Name changed to Alsuma February 12, 1906. Old maps show another extinct township by the name of Welcome in southwestern Tulsa (City) near Carbondale & Red Fork.

Wellington

 In western Muskogee Co., 3 miles northwest of Boynton. Post office established June 3, 1890. Name changed to Lee, July 22, 1892.

West Tulsa

Now part of Tulsa, in Tulsa Co. Post office established October 4, 1907 and discontinued December 31, 1917 to become West Tulsa Station.

Wigwam Neosho

Not a township or post office. Site in southeastern Wagoner Co., 2 miles east of Okay. The name of the trading post operated by Sam Houston from 1829 to 1833.

Willow Springs

Located north of Bixby (Any additional information is appreciated).

Wouldbe

Post office established August 27, 1919 in Creek Co., near Gypsy. On March 12, 1920 another post office by the same name was established in Noble Co. near Billings. Both were discontinued October 15, 1921.

Wybark

In northern Muskogee Co., 4 miles north of Muskogee. A post office from January 18, 1890 to June 30, 1940. The name is a modification of Verdark, the railroad name for the town that was coined from the names of the Verdigris and Arkansas Rivers.

Yarrow

In Okmulgee Co., 5 miles northeast of Beggs. Post office from April 25, 1898 to October 15, 1900. Took its name from Yarrow, County Selkirk, Scotland.

 
BHS Logo
© 1999-2008