Western Wagoner Co. Settlements
by Debbi Young
Wagoner Co. OK takes its name from the County Seat established as a Railroad switch in 1888. It's name comes from Henery " Big Foot" Wagoner a Katy Railroad Dispatcher at Parsons, KS. The county of Wagoner, located in northeastern OK, was created at statehood in 1907. It contains seven western townships . . . Adams Creek, Coal Creek, Coweta Creek, Gatesville, Lone Star, Shahan, and Stonebluff.
Prier to statehood this geographic area was a part
of Creek Nation Recording District No.7, in Indian
The Creek Construction of 1867 divided the Creek Nation into six districts. The Coweta, District included most of present day Tulsa, and Wagoner Counties. In 1907, Township No. 2, Wagoner County was subdivided into four new townships of Adams Creek, Coweta Creek, Lone Star and Shahan. In 1910, Lone Star, Township, was subdivided into Coal Creek. Lone Star and Stonebluff were designated into a separate political entry.
On November 29, 1909, the Township Sections (one mile by one mile square) located in Range 14, East and Township 17, North, formerly apart of Wagoner County, were transferred to Tulsa, County. This included the area lying south of east 121 Street South in southeastern Tulsa Co. Today this area comprised the southern part of the city of Broken Arrow, the town of Leonard and vicinity originally apart of Wagoner County.
The county boundaries between Broken Arrow & Wagoner counties were realigned in 1909 to place the respective east -west county line along a straight north south direction where 14 East and 15 East meet. This boundary concludes with 193 East avenue know locally as County Road.
The Wealaka Mission was located 4,miles south of White Church & across the Arkansas River near the present town of Leonard. Today, White Church would be on the west side of south 129 E Ave. (South Olive Ave., Broken Arrow) just southwest of east 121st (Tucson Street, Broken Arrow). Leonard is now in southeastern Tulsa County. The post office was established Aug. 22, 1908, named for Oliver H. Leonard, a banker. Wealaka Mission, 4/8/1880- 8/31/1910, was in southeast Tulsa County, 2 miles northwest of Leonard post office. Wealaka is a Creek name that means, "raising water. "
Source of Information:
Place Names In Western Wagoner County by Donald A. Wise
Broken Arrow Vignettes - Wise 1989 p. 48-52
Schusterman Genealogy Library Tulsa Ok
Tulsa Annals Vol. XXIV No.3, 1989, p. 5-9, Published by the Tulsa Genealogy Society Tulsa, Ok., Oklahoma Place Names
George Strik, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, Library of Congress card catalog No. 65-14803 Copyright 1965
Three Forks Genealogy Society, 102 1/2 State Wagoner OK 74467