||County Index| OKSpecial|YourTidbits| OutOfState |Clippings|OKDeaths| |||
Last Updated Friday, 20-May-2005 20:49:37 MDT
An OKGenWeb Project
|This material is donated by people who want to communicate with and help others. Every effort is made to give credit and protect all copyrights. Presentation here does not extend any permissions to the public. This material can not be included in any compilation, publication, collection, or other reproduction for profit without permission.|
Bicentennial Edition of The Daily Ardmoreite
Sunday, June 13, 1976
About the Town of Suphur- 1895-1976:
In 1878, a Chickasaw rancher named Noah LAEL built his ranch house
near the present park headquarters. Another rancher, Perry FROHMAN,
built his ranch house in the future park area in 1881.
Fame of the curative powers of the mineral springs spread and people came as the influx of white settlers in the Chickasaw Nation mounted in the 1880's and 1890's.
The first store was established about 1885 and the town, named Sulphur Springs, began to develop. The U.S. Post Office was established on Oct.2, 1895.
In 1902 the government secured about 700 acres from the Chickasaws and called the area "Sulphur Springs Reservation." The town had to move, with the government paying the expenses. Some moved out of the park area to the north on a hill on east side of Rock Creek. Others moved to the west side of the new "reservation" area, which proved to be a useless effort. The government add over 200 acres to the west side of the parak, and that part of the town was moved northward to a hill on the west side of Rock Creek.
Thus, there was West Sulphur and East Sulphur on either side of the large creek, and there was no bridge between. There was rivalry and threats of violence as the town sections vyed for prominence. Then they built a bridge across the creek and buried a hatchet for peace and a horse shoe for good luck in the concrete.
In 1904, the Sulphur Springs Reservation was changed to Platt National Park, named for U.S. Senator Orville H. Platt who was active in Indian affairs. The town boasted over 4,000 population at time of statehood in 1907.
In 1908, the Oklahoma School for the Deaf was established in East Sulphur. In 1921, the Oklahoma Veteran's Hospital was established at the southwest corner of Platt National Park.
From the Bicentennial Edition of The Daily Ardmoreite, Sunday, June 13, 1976. Sulphur 1895-1976
Perhaps the greatest single calamity from fire in the history of Sulphur
occured on April 12, 1918, when fire broke out on West Second street and
destroyed the major portion of that block. Total loss was estimated at
Starting in the middle of the most thriving block in the city, the fire spread both ways and passed in fury and destruction to both ends of the block, destroying in all 14 stores and 13 office rooms and three rooming apartments in the second stories.
The largest store was the Sulphur Dry Goods Company, with almost $100,000 loss, and the largest office loss was that of Attorney M. Nicholson's library, valued at $8,000.
Many people in the city did not know of the fire until the following morning. Several office men came down town as usual Friday morning to work at 8 o'clock and found half the town in ruins and no office for themselves.
The stores destroyed were as follows:
City Barber Shop-
Western Union Telegraph office-
W.S. KING, Jeweler-
N.H. HEATH, Nickel store-
Cresent Drug store-
PRESSON Grocery Co.-
Sulphur Dry Goods Co.-
CUSHENBERRY Grocery & Mkt.-
CHANEY Grocery & Mkt.-
KIRBY & KENNEDY Pool Hall-
Charles LUTHER Barber shop-
J.C. BOSWELL, confectionary-
Mrs. LEFLORE 's Millinery-
Mrs. MELLOWN 's Dressmaking-
The office rooms destroyed :
George M. NICHOLSON, lawyer-
W.D. BIGGERSTAFF, real estate and insurance-
BROADBENT & RAWLINGS, lawyers-
Dr. A.H. SULLIVAN, physician-
Dr. H.B. RYALS, osteopath-
PERRY Real Estate-
Mrs. R.A. BEARD
Three big battles were staged by the firemen. One over the Famous Dry Goods
Co., one in front of Frier's Hardware Co. and the other to save the Carey-Lombard
Lumber Co. yard.
J.I. YOUNG led a big bunch of over Frier's Hardware. Sargeant-Major Paul LIEBMANN and others did spectacular work on Renfro's produce house and over the Famous Dry Goods Co.when they kept the flames from crossing the narrow alley by the barber shop. Gene WHITE and another bunch fought to save the lumber yard and thus prevented the spread in that direction.
Bicentennial Edition- The Daily Ardmoreite- Sunday, May 16, 1976
Early Day Madill History
Excerpted from the 1952 Historical Edition of the Madill Record.
by Mac McGalliard
Contributed by Heather Cameron
Contains memories of Joe Williamson who moved to Madill in 1901 when the new town was under construction.
Among the first were C.H. MCFARLAND, D.K.BATTENFIELD, T.B.
WILLIAMSON, W.W. CHANEY, John YOUNT, and A.A.
The families of D.K. Battenfield and T.B. Williamson moved to Madill together in covered wagons from Gainesville, Tex. in the spring of 1901. C.H. McFarland built a five-room house for his home on the west side of the square. He owned and operated the first ice storage plant on the same location.
In 1900 and 1901 there were two brick plant which made common brick at Madill. One, owned by VAN PELT, the other owned by C.H. McFarland.
The first President of the First Nation Bank was H.E. HEDRICK. He was succeeded by F.B. HERRON.
The Madill National Bank was built in 1904 and W.S.DERRICK was the first Bank President.
The first public school building was a four-room two-story frame building. The first teachers were: Mr. WATKINS, his wife Mrs.Martha Watkins, Miss Janie SMITH, Miss Anna PAGE and Mrs. Beulah DUMAS. This building was used until 1910. The first graduating class was in 1911 with 11 members.
W.W.CARTER was among the pioneet hotel managers. His son, Will Carter, had the present Royal Hotel.
Madill had two livery stables and wagon yards. One owned by William F. RORIE and the other owned by Judge I.O. LEWIS.
The first jail was built in 1900.
The first meat market was owned and operated by Kie KIRK.
The first drug store was owned and operated by Cal FRAME. T.C. ROLLINS moved his drug store from Oakland in 1904. It was first located on the corner where F.L. LEWIS had his business, and later moved tot he building now occupied by W.J. BALDWIN, and remained there until Mr. ROLLINS death.
The first hardware store was known as NOBLE Brothers & SMITH Hardware Co.
Among the first grocery stores were: Rube MORENS Grocery, and HOLLINGSWORTH Grocery. PACE and HODGES, Scott HOARD, and J.E. DILLINGHAM were among the first Dry goods stores.
The first theater and picture show was operated by W.S.SLAUGHTER. It was bought by C.T. MORRIS in 1912.
Among the early lumber yards were the HANNAH Bros. It was sold to C.H. WRIGHT. The CARSON Lumber co. was located where the T.H. ROGER lumber Co. is now.
Caption under a picture: Sheriff's force in 1919... The Marshall County sheriff's force in 1919 - Oscar DRIVER, sheriff- Bob BELL, deputy-Tom CHRISTIAN, deputy.
The Daily Ardmoreite, Bicentennial Edition on Madill, OK.
Sunday, May 16, 1976. No author named
The old Burney Academy near SH 32 east of Lebanon in southwest Marshall County
is a historic spot for the Chickasaw Indians and for Southern Oklahoma.
The site is now privately owned and is not open to visitors, but the remaining brick classroon building can be seen from SH 32. A historical marker beside the road calls attention to the location.
This institution was established in 1857 as the Lebanon Orphans Home, named for Lebanon, Tenn., by the Methodist Mission Board. It was for care and education of Chickasaw orphans.
The Home was discontinued during the years of the Civil War and reconstruction, but was re-opened about 1872.
In 1887, the Chickasaw Legislature changed the name and function to the Chickasaw Orphans Home and Manual Labor School. There was a capacity for 60 students. The boys were taught agriculture and horticulture, and the girls were taught housework, cooking, washing, ironing, plain and fancy sewing, quilting and knitting.
All the students were given "....first class instruction in all branches of finished English education."
The institution was discontinued in 1910.
In the picture of the Historical marker it says:
"Burney Institute Site in vicinity south Established 1854 by Chickasaw
Council, Daugherty COLBERT, Chief: David BURNEY, Joel
KEMP,George D. JAMES, A.V. BROWN, school
Opened as school for Chickasaw girls 1859, under supervision of Cumberland Presby.Bd.,Rev.Robert S. BELL and wife, teachers.
Name changed to Chickasaw Orphan Home and Manual Labor School, 1887."
Site Hosted by Rootsweb
Copyright © 1996 - 2013 OKGenWeb Coordinator
You are visitor # 4474
This Page Was Last Updated