USGenWeb Logo Caddo County, OK

OKGenWeb

OKGenWeb

Caddo County, Okla.
Geographic
Locations

Apache Wye 350237N - 0982123W
Junction of hwy 281 hwy 62 hwy 9 West of Anadarko
Cache Creek  
Cache creek and township took their names from the Wichita Indian custom of 'caching' or burying vegetables, corn, tobacco and other articles in a sort of pit or cistern when they left their homes to hunt buffalo
Dead Woman Mound  
The weirdest lot of the Caddo Mounds 12 miles west of Hinton. A legendary name given by an early day rancher who found and buried the body of a woman at the foot of the mound.
Fort Cobb  
E. of the present town of Ft Cobb. Named for Howell Cobb the secretary of the treasure under President Buchanan. The stockade fort was established for protection of the Wichitas from wild tribes when they were brought from Texas in 1858. Confederates occupied the fort during the Civil War. After the Battle of the Washita, Generals Sheridan and Custer spent several months there before moving on to establish Ft. Sill. It is thought also that General Albert Pike was stationed there at some time as records show supply orders he made.
Ghost Mound  
One of the Caddo Mounds, A distinctive land feature 9 mi. S. of Hydro. No one seems to know the origin of the name but all agree it is so named because it stands apart from the others, and its forlorn, destitute figure entitles it to the name of Ghost. Legend attributes much Indian ceremonial significance to the site.
Hog Creek  
The stream west of Anadarko was probably first called Hog Creek, because of the droves of wild hogs in the vicinity, by the party of surveyors who were sent out in 1858 to establish boundary lines for the proposed new colonies for the Texas tribes, under leadership of Colonel Cooper of Texas who selected the place for the Wichita Mission. The first survey records show the stream marked as Hog Creek.
Horse Thief Canyon  
This "canyon" about ten miles northwest of Anadarko was used as a hiding out place for different bands of horse theives in the days before statehood.
I County  
Original name for Caddo County, Oklahoma Territory. The name was changed to Caddo County on November 8, 1902.
Indian City 350214N - 0981332W
tourist attraction 2 mi. S. of Anadarko
Leeper Creek  
This creek was named for Matthew Leeper, Wichita Agent from 1858 to 1862. He remained at his post when the agency was taken over by the Confederacy, narrowly escaping death from a party of Union sympathizing Indians who destroyed the agency and almost wiped out the Tonkawa Confederates October 23-24, 1862. Leeper hid in a small revine until the party was gone.
Nowhere 350933N - 0982631W
SE. of Fort Cobb State Park
Powder Face Crossing  
Powder Face crossing over the South Canadian from Caddo into Canadian county and seven miles northeast of Hinton, was one of the few river crossings used before the country was opened to settlement. It was named for Chief Powder Face.
Rock Mary  
3 mi. W. of Hinton. landmark for travelers on the California Trail. named in 1849 for Mary Conway, daughter of the governor of Arkansas
Squaretop 350431N - 0981805W
2 mi W of Anadarko
Sugar Creek  
Comanches called the creek 'penah' meaning sugar, and the name was translated literally into English.
Three-Way Corner 351727N - 0982442W
 
Tonkawa Creek  
A township and a creek today mark the site of a massacre in which the Tonkawa Indians were almost wiped from the earth on the night of October 23, 1862. About 300 strong, their organization said to be made up of remnants of other tribes, they were never friendly with other tribes of the vicinity. Using the Tonkawa loyalty to the Confederacy as an excuse to settle old grudges, a band of Union sympathizing Shawnees, Caddos, Delawares, Wichitas, Wacos, Keechi, Cherokees, Seminoles and Creeks, attacked them, after destroying the Wichita Agency here. About 137 were killed. The rest fled to Ft. Griffen, Texas. The 92 surviving in 1884, were moved to the Oakland Agency near Ponca City.
Washita River  
According to one story the river was called Washita, and not Wichita to correspond to the Indian tribe, by French trappers and fishermen who came from the north and mistook it for the Washita River in Arkansas, which is about the same size. Sometimes it is termed the False Washita. Indians called it Elm Creek. La Harpe, a French explorer in 1719 said the names, Washita, Wichita and Ouiehita were all the same, named for the natives of this region.
Wilson Creek  
It has its beginning between Hinton and Lookeba and is so known as the principal headwater of Sugar Creek, a tributary of the Washita. Named in honor of a Caddoean Indian Chief who lived at the head of the canyon through which the creek flows.

Information from
THE ANADARKO TRIBUNE and
OKLAHOMA PLACE NAMES
by GEORGE H. SHIRK

SEARCH

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Website search technology courtesy FreeFind.com

E Mail
Mel Owings - coordinator

This page last updated Friday, December 26, 2014

Copyright 2001 - 2014 Mel Owings