USGenWeb Logo Caddo County, OK

OKGenWeb

OKGenWeb

Caddo County, Okla.
Historic Post Offices

Alden 345831N - 0983506W
9 mi. S. of Carnegie. Post office from Dec. 5, 1901 to Dec. 31, 1929. named for Alden Carpenter the son of Jennie Carpenter, first Postmaster.
Boise 351308N - 0983625W
7 mi. N. of Carnegie.
Post Office established Feb. 3, 1902
named for John Boise of Carnegie
Name changed to Alfalfa Dec, 16, 1908
Canyon  
4 mi. SE of Hinton. Post office from Feb. 06, 1902 - Sep. 30, 1905. named for nearby Red Rock Canyon
Cobb  
Post Office established Sep. 20, 1899. name changed to Fort Cobb Oct. 31, 1902. named for the nearby site of Fort Cobb, a former military post that was named for Howell Cobb
the secretary of the treasure under President Buchanan
Cogar 352002N - 0980749W
Post office from Mar. 25, 1902 - Sep. 30, 1954. named for Nancy Cougar of Kentucky, a friend of the first postmaster
Cox  
2 mi. NW of Cogar. Post office from Jan. 04, 1904 - Jul. 30, 1910. named for Frank Cox, local resident
Crosby 352817N - 0982119W
Post Office established Apr. 18, 1902. named for Herbert D. Crosby, county attorney of "I County". name changed to Hinton Jul. 05, 1902
Cullen  
6 mi. NE. of Gracemont. Post office from Sep. 03, 1903 - Jul. 15, 1907. named for Florence Cullen, first postmaster
Dell  
 
Drew  
6 mi. SE. of Eakly. Post office from Mar. 08, 1902 - Aug. 31, 1906
Dutton now in Grady County. 351214N - 0980539W
Post office from May 05, 1902 - Nov. 15, 1906. named for William R. Dutton, a postmaster at Anadarko.
Exendine  
7 mi. W. of Lookeba. Post Office from Apr. 12, 1902 - Feb. 28, 1907. named for Jasper Exendine, first postmaster
Frick  
 
Hazzard  
5 mi. SW. of Hinton. Post Office from Jan. 11, 1902 - May 15, 1905. named for first postmaster William R. Hazzard
Hillsboro  
Hillsboro better known as Laverty was in Caddo County untill statehood then became part of Grady County.

Laverty located approx. five miles northeast of Cement or approx 8 miles south of Verden was named for Lealis F. Laverty the townsite developer. the first post office opened - 19 Nov. 1901 - first postmaster George L. Powell.

The name Laverty was changed to Hillsboro 04 Jan 1904. the postmaster was Clarence C. Abbott. The name was changed back to Laverty in 1908.

The Laverty post office closed 30 Nov 1933. There is still a small community with a church and cemetery there.
Hydro 353258N - 0983440W
Post Office established Sep. 23, 1901. named for the abundance of good well water
Imi  
Post Office established 25 Mar 1902. postmaster Harry E. Loutham. order recinded 26 Jul 1902
Ison 351118N - 0981537W
Post Office established Jan. 11, 1902. first postmaster, Alice L. Bailey. name changed to Gracemont Jan. 30, 1903 Sep.30, 1904
Jewel  
4 mi. SW. of Binger. Post Office from Mar. 27, 1902 - Sep. 14, 1905. named for Jewel Browning, daughter of first postmaster Robert Browning
Kidder  
7 mi. W. of Hinton. Post Office from Feb. 24, 1902 - Dec.15, 1905. named for Kidder, Misssouri
Lacrosse  
6 mi. NE. of Gracemont. Post Office from Mar. 18,1902 - Dec. 31, 1908. named for the Indian ball Game
Leal  
Post Office from Feb. 10, 1902 - Apr. 30, 1910. named for Noah Leal, prominent rancher and son in law of Cyrus Harris
Lemon  
near Eakly. Post Office in 1903. named for postmaster Robert M. Lemons
Libbie  
6 mi. S. of Hydro. Post Office from May 10, 1902 - Jun. 15, 1905. named for first postmaster Libbie Hammer
Neola  
9 mi. SE. of Carnegie. Post Office from Feb. 17, 1907 - Sep. 30, 1910. named for Neola, Iowa
Neola Post Office and Community
Onasco  
7 mi NW. of Apache. Post Office from Mar. 18, 1902 - Mar. 30, 1907. named arbitrarily by the Post Office Department, after rejecting all locally suggested names
Radium  
5 mi. NE. of Gracemont. Post Office from Apr. 23, 1904 - Aug. 14, 1905. named for the discovery of radium by the Curies
Randlett  
4 mi. S. of Anadarko. Post Office from May 03, 1902 - Oct. 31, 1905. named for James F. Randlett, Kiowa-Comanche Indian agent
Scott 352236N - 0981410W
7 mi. E. of Lookeba. Post Office from Jan. 11, 1902 - Oct. 31, 1935. named for Scott Vance, son of first postmaster James A. Vance
Shell  
6 mi. N. of Fort Cobb. Post Office from Jun. 19, 1902 - Apr. 16, 1906. named for Charles E. Shell, Cheyenne and Arapaho Indian agent
Sprout  
5 mi. N. of Eakly. Post Office from Mar. 25, 1902 - Feb. 28, 1906. named for first postmaster Edward P. Sprout
Sturm  
7 mi. N. of Fort Cobb. Post Office from Feb. 10, 1902 - Aug. 31, 1920. named for Dr. Jacob J. Sturm, pioneer physician now under water of Fort Cobb reservoir
Thompson  
 
Vicmurdock  
7 mi. E. of Gracemont. Post Office from May 21, 1904 - Sep. 30, 1905. named for Victor Murdock, publisher of the Wichita Eagle
Vrooman  
11 mi. N. of Carnegie. Post Office from Mar. 04, 1902 - Jul. 31, 1903. named for first postmaster Vrooman Hyde
Wellman  
 
Wilber  
 

Information from
THE ANADARKO TRIBUNE and
OKLAHOMA PLACE NAMES
by GEORGE H. SHIRK

SEARCH

Search this site powered by FreeFind

Website search technology courtesy FreeFind.com

E Mail
Mel Owings - coordinator

This page last updated Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Copyright 2001 - 2014 Mel Owings