The Start of the
Written by Mrs. G.M.
Grandmother of T.
starting of the town of
In Oct. of
1901 The G.M. BAILEY family with
a large heard(sic) of cattle
settled on road side about 1 1/2
miles west and north of the
present sight of Gracemont and
Mr. Bailey built a store &
living quarters there and put in
a general line of merchandise, a
potition(sic) was circulated and
signed by many who were settling
around there about to get a Post
office and Mrs. Bailey was made
Postmaster in Jan. 11-02 . The
office was given the name of
"Ison" at the beginning
-- mail was brought by stage
twice a week from Anadarko to
Bridgeport at that time. And in
the fall of 1902 a railroad was
put through from Enid to
Warika(sic) through where
Gracemont is now. And next step
to be taken was to get a school-
(as 'twas Indian land) through
the Indian Agency of Anadarko
enough land was set aside to
build a school house (1 room). A
school board was elected at a
meeting in a wagon where the
school house was built and the
board consisted of G. M. Bailey,
R. W. Billingsley and H.C. Franz.
(All of whom have passed away of
after school started Mr. Bailey
moved his store building &
P.O. down across the Ry. A depot
was put there and the name was
given ware as(sic) no prospects
of a town was hoped for at that
time. The Ry-Co- moved that depot
to where Verden is and that is
still there - later a town sight
agent by the name of Frank E.
Rickey of El Reno came along and
took it up with the Indian agency
again about opening a town there-
it was passed on and Mr. Rickey
had it surveyed into lots by M.E.
Munsell surveyer of Anadarko.
Rickey gave and deeded to Mrs.
Bailey the choice business lot as
she had the P.O. and Mr. Bailey
built a store on it in which the
P.O. was - that lot is second lot
west of where Garland Bailey
lives. The mail was carried by
foot from Depot to P.O., then at
the selling of town lots another
depot was built and named
"Gracemont" this time,
so Mrs. Bailey potissioned(sic)
P.O Dept. to change the name of
the P.O. from Ison to the same as
the depot "Gracemont"
to save confusion in getting mail
etc. it was granted.
Then as the
town begun(sic) to grow three
rural routs(sic) were established
and later two country Post
offices were discontinued - one
out on Spring Creek called
"Cullen" and one out
N.E. of there named Radium - both
of which Mrs. Bailey took in.
Then the present school house was
built and was consolidated with
three other districk(sic) school
buses employed, three grain
elevators and three gins were
built - one lumber yard and
several stores until cars
begun(sic) to be used then
services stations etc. Highway
no. 8 was the main road traveled
from Anadarko through Gracemont
on up to Bridgeport and Geary -
Later the U.S. Hy. no. 281 was
put in operation taking in no. 8.
T.A. Vandeventer and G. M. Bailey
were cemetary(sic) directors,
they sold lots and looked after
Methodist church was first built
but during Worlds War no. 1 it
was torn down. The Baptist church
was nexed(sic) built then the
Methodist Church was built where
the first school house stood. Wm.
Granger bought the first school
house and used it for part of his
building his home. A part of Glen
Drake's home now was the first
home built in the town.
family lived in a new Indian
lease house where the Highway
passes the Methodist church now
-Then when the Hy-way was put in
it was sold. G.M. Bailey's
residence next built it is where
Geo. Gardner lives now. A lodge
Hall was built where Comptons
"drive-in" is now and
the Woodman of the World and
I.O.O.F. was organzied later.
Modern Woodman & Royal
neighbors, Woodman Circle &
Rebekah Lodges were organized.
when Ry- was taken out nor why -
& lumber yd- & Elevators
Bailey was born Alice Lucille
Boazman, Mar. 4, 1879. She
was the second wife of George
Matthew Bailey, raising 5
children of her own and 5 of
George's first wife's, who
was a cousin of Alice. T.
Whisler's mother is the
oldest of Alice's children.
Alice and George are both
buried in the Gracemont
to the top