PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF OKLAHOMA 1901
Biographies on this page:
Goff, W. I.
Meigs, Loomis G.
Sackett, James Garven
Wick, John G.
W. I. GOFF.
A popular, and well-to-do citizen of El Reno is the above named gentleman, who represents the Anheuser-Busch Brewing Company in this city. He was born near Perryville, Vermillion county, Ind., August 29, 1859, and is a son of David Goff, and grandson of Almond Goff.
The Goff family are of sturdy Holland-Dutch extraction and for many years resided on the Hudson river in New York. Our subject's great-grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary war and died in New York state, and his grandfather was in the War of 1812. The latter was a native of New York state, and resided there all his life, engaged in the cultivation of the soil. His farm originally was covered with a dense forest, which he cleared away and put in a good state of cultivation. David W. Goff was born in Vermillion county, Ind., and was reared to farming, which he made his life's vocation. He was in the Civil war, being a member of an Indiana regiment, but at first was rejected from service. In 1868 he settled in Jefferson county, Kans., near the town of Oskaloosa, where he carried on farming and stock-raising. In 1886 he retired and is now spending his latter days in Emporia Kans. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. He was united in marriage with Miss Lillis Hale, whose birthplace is near Twin Grove, Green county, Wis. Her father, who was a native of Indiana, was an early settler of Wisconsin, and died when Mrs. Goff was about seven years of age. She had two brothers who were in the Civil war: Marion, who was killed at Resaca, Ga.; and William, who now lives at Fort Scott, Kans. They belonged to the Fourteenth Wisconsin Regiment.
Our subject, the only son of a family of seven children, all of whom are still living, was reared in Jefferson county, Kans., his father moving there when he was a lad of nine years. He attended the public schools of that community and later pursued his studies in Baker University at Baldwin, Kans., for one year. Upon leaving school, he engaged as a clerk in a drug store in Oskaloosa, in the meantime making a study of pharmacy, and some two years later started a store of his own in that town. Selling out he secured a position with McPike & Fox, wholesale druggists, but after remaining in their employ about a year, again started in the drug business, but this time at Lyons, Rice county, Kans. He continued there some years, during which time he was agent for the Pacific Express Company. From there he went to Anthony, Kans., and embarked in business, but remained only a twelvemonth. In 1892 he located in El Reno, O. T., where he obtained a position with Anheuser & Busch, and a short time after entering their employ he became agent for the firm. Since the different railroads have been started his territory has been extended throughout the southern part of Oklahoma. He has since started up the Goff Bottling Works, which is the largest plant of its kind in Oklahoma, all kinds of soda water and soft drinks being manufactured. Our subject is an enterprising and industrious citizen, and enjoys a wide acquaintance throughout the territory.
Mr. Goff was married in Atkinson, Ill., to Miss Magdalen Myers, a native of that state, and to them has been born one child, Imogene. In politics he is an uncompromising Republican. He is a member of the El Reno Club, of which
he is also treasurer; the K. of P.; and the A. O. U. W. Our subject is a thorough musician and was the organizer of the Goff Cadet Band, of which he is also leader. This band is well known throughout the territory, and for excellent music it can't be beaten in this section of the country.
a pioneer of Canadian county, is respected and honored by all who have known him. He possesses high principles and has never failed in meeting faithfully the duties resting upon him as a citizen of this great republic. In view of the fact that he gave several of the best years of his early manhood to the Union, he justly deserves an honored place in the annals of the land.
The birthplace of Mr. Lee was in Davis county, Ind., the date of his entrance upon the stage of this world being August 15, 1834. His father, Andrew Lee, died when our subject was but five years of age, and as soon as he was old enough to relieve his mother of some of the manifold cares which thus fell to her, he gladly assisted her. Though there was a large family of brothers and sisters, all would have been well provided for by the father's valuable estate, had it been properly administered, but the widow and orphans were robbed. The mother, Mrs. Sylvia (Skaggs) Lee, wisely reared her children, teaching them the foundation principles of success and usefulness.
Harrison Lee was chiefly employed in agricultural labors until the Civil war broke out, and in August, 1861, he enlisted, becoming a member of Company B, Twenty-seventh Indiana Infantry. With his comrades, he participated 1n many of the important battles of the war, among others those of Antietam, Cedar Mountain, the numerous skirmishes and severe fights of the famous march to the sea, under the great leader, General Sherman. In the battle of Burnt Hickory, near Dallas, Ga., Mr. Lee was the color bearer, and thus was a special target for the enemy. His right thumb was struck by a bullet, and within another second he was shot in the right leg, just above the knee, and his clothing was riddled with more bullets. By the time that he reached South Carolina, after long, forced marches, he was so worn out and ill that he was sent to the hospital. Finally he was transferred to New York City, and received an honorable discharge from the army on that fateful day, April 14, 1865, when Lincoln was assassinated.
Returning to his old home, Mr. Lee resumed his accustomed duties, but for more than a year suffered greatly from the effects of his army service. Thus seriously handicapped in many ways, he was necessarily slow in making a good financial start, and after a few years he went to Cherokee county, Kans. Later he settled in No Man's Land, and July 5, 1889, came to Oklahoma and located upon his present homestead, which is situated on the southeastern quarter of section 7, township 13, range 6 west. He has made good improvements and is reaping abundant harvests annually.
In 1870 Mr. Lee and Miss Clara Clark were married in Indiana. They became the parents of a son and daughter, namely: Mrs. Minnie Chilcott of Kansas, and Clement, who remains at home and is aiding his father in the cultivation of his farm. Politically, Mr. Lee is a Republican, and his first presidential ballot was cast for Fillmore. Religiously, he is identified with the Christian Church, and has long officiated as an elder in the congregation.
LOOMIS G. MEIGS,
an enterprising farmer of Canadian county, has taken an active part in the upbuilding of his community and is highly respected by all of his neighbors and associates. He is a native of Fond du Lac county, Wis., his birth having occurred October 14, 1862. With his parents, Ebenezer and Mary (Babcock) Meigs, he resided until he was about eighteen years of age, his home being in the city of Fond du Lac for some time. Then he found employment as a bridge builder, giving his time to that branch of industry for several years. Later he went to Ogle county, Ill., where he engaged in farming during one season.
In 1885 Mr. Meigs wisely concluded to come to the west, as he believed that better opportunities awaited him here. For about two years he was occupied in agricultural labors in Reno county, Kans., and then, haying learned of the fine, fertile land in Oklahoma, he decided to await the opening of the territory, and in the meantime he lived in Kansas and upon a squatter's claim, which he took up, in No Man's Land.
Since June, 1889, Mr. Meigs has dwelt in Canadian county, and for a period a dug-out was his only shelter. His property, which has been much improved during the eleven years it has been in his possession, is located on the southeastern quarter of section 34, township 14, range 6. He frequently has found his practical knowledge: as a carpenter of great use to him, and his services as such have been in demand wherever he has lived since reaching maturity.
The wife of Mr. Meigs was also one of the plucky pioneers of Oklahoma, as she came to this territory in 1889 and took up a homestead claim, being granted a deed thereto. The place is ori the northeastern quarter of section 13, township 13, range 6 west, but it has now passed into other hands, as Mrs. Meigs sold it a few years ago. She was Miss Alice Gragg prior to her marriage, and Shelby county, Ill., is her birthplace. She is a daughter of Charles and Harriet (Lowe) Gragg, and accompanied them in their removal to Kansas in 1883. In that state also she took and proved up a pre-emption claim. On the 5th of June, 1895, she became the wife of our subject. As the sod-house in which she then was living was comfortable, the young couple made it their home for some time, and their only child, Edith Lucy, was born in that humble abode. They now have a larger and pleasanter residence. During 1900 our subject purchased eighty acres adjoining his home place, and now resides on the eighty-acre tract.
Politically Mr. Meigs is independent and entirely without ambition to occupy public positions. When living in Kansas he became member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. Religiously he is connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and lias officiated as a deacon in his own congregation.
The father of the subject, Ebenezer Meigs, was born July 25, 1823 in Highgate, Vt, and in 1856 he went to Fond du Lac, Wis. Four years subsequently he wedded Miss Babcock, and two sons blessed their union. Luther, who is a progressive farmer, is a resident of the state of Washington. For three years Ebenezer Meigs served as deputy sheriff of Fond du Lac county, Wis. He is still living, honored and revered by all acquaintances, and makes his home with our subject.
JAMES GARVEN SACKETT,
a member of the well-known real estate firm of Meyers & Sackett, has been actively engaged in different business enterprises since he settled in El Reno in the fall of 1890. He is very popular among his fellow-citizens and is a prominent Mason.
Born at Newman, Douglas county, Ill., June 6, 1871, he is a son of James R. and Mary A. (Shaw) Sackett. His grandfather, William Henry Sackett, was a native of Pennsylvania and an early settler of Washington county. Ill., where he followed farming until his death. James R. Sackett was born in Washington county, Ill., and settled near Newman, Ill., where he followed farm pursuits. In 1876 he removed to Mexia, Limestone county, Tex., where he engaged in farming and stock-raising. From there he moved to Clay county, Tex., in 1885, and in September, 1890, came to El Reno, purchasing a farm east of this city. Here he is now living, retired from active cares.
His wife, Mary A., was born in St. Clair county, Ill., to which place her father, Henry Shaw, had moved from his native state of Tennessee. Her paternal grandfather came from Scotland and settled upon a plantation in Tennessee.
The four children of James R. and Mary A. Sackett are Hannah, wife of I. H. G. Hulm, a dry-goods merchant of Weatherford, Okla.; Lizzie A., of El Reno; Robert I., a grain merchant at Yukon, Okla., and James G.
The boyhood years of James G. Sackett were passed principally in Texas, and his education was received in Trinity University in that state. In 1886, with his brother, he embarked in the cattle business in Clay county, where he followed ranching until he came to Oklahoma in the fall of 1890. One of his first moves after settling in El Reno was the purchase of a lot on Bickford avenue, where he built a store and he and his brother conducted a grocery in this building for four years, the firm name being Sackett Brothers. In 1894 he became cashier and bookkeeper for the Crowe Mercantile Company and continued in that capacity for two years, after which he carried on a real-estate business until 1899. In the spring of that year he became a member of the firm of Meyers & Sackett, which carries on a real-estate, loan and abstract business, and engages largely in fire insurance, acting as agent for some of the best-known companies. This is the largest real-estate business in Canadian county.
Since coming to El Reno, Mr. Sackett has erected a number of substantial buildings, among them being the frame store in Bickford avenue, built in 1891; the brick store on Rock Island avenue, near Russell street, known as the Buse-Sackett block, built in 1893, and the fourth brick structure in the city; the large brick building on Bickford avenue, known as the J. G. Sackett block, built in 1898; and.the office building occupied by. the firm at No. 210 South Rock Island avenue.
Fraternally, Mr. Sackett was made a Mason at El Reno in 1893. He is past master of El Reno Lodge No. 7, A. F. & A. M. In 1895 he became a member of Keystone Chapter No. 9, R. A. M., and the following year identified himself with Ascension Commandery No. 3, K. T., of which he is senior warden; and in 1897 he became a member of India Temple, N. M. S., of Oklahoma City. In the fall of 1898 he joined the consistory in Wichita, Kans. In 1899 he served as patron of Mistletoe Chapter No. 27, O. E. S.. at El Reno. In politics he has always sustained Republican principles. He is a charter member of the Republican club.
July 18, 1900, Mr. Sackett was united in marriage with Miss Sue Johnson, who was born in Illinois, received her education in Orange City, Iowa, and taught in the El Reno public schools for three years prior to her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Sackett reside in their commodious residence, corner of Cooney street and Hoff avenue, which Mr. Sackett erected in the summer of 1900.
JOHN G. WICK
has been a resident of Oklahoma since its opening, and during the first eighteen months here lived upon a claim, but in 1891 came to El Reno, where he engaged in his occupation as a blacksmith. He is a native of Baden, Herdhen, Germany, his birth having occurred January 2, 1852.
Frederick Wick, father of our subject, was a farmer and stock raiser, and died when the latter was a year old, and the mother, whose maiden name was Regina Steinegger, died in Fredericksville, Ill. She had two sons: our subject, and Frederick, who resides in Fredericksville, Ill. J. G. Wick was a lad of twelve years when his mother brought her family to the United States. They sailed from Havre in the boat Munsey, the voyage occupying fifty-eight days. Landing in New York City, they went to Highland, Madison county, Ill., where our subject began attending school, and later in his youth, as he was busy learning his trade during the day, went to a night school. Beginning at nineteen years, he served an apprenticeship of three years to the blacksmith's trade in Highland, and from there went to Geneseo, Ill., where he had a shop of his own. However, he only remained there until 1874, when he went to Marshalltown, Iowa, and opened a shop, and a year later engaged in business at Fountainelle, at first as an employee.
In 1883 he sold his shop, and, going to California, started in business at Los Angeles, where he continued two years. At the end of that period he returned east to Sterling, Kans., where he followed his trade. In 1889 he located on a claim at Kingfisher, Okla., but after spending eighteen months tilling the soil, sold his farm to return to his trade. Locating in El Reno, he went into partnership with a Mr. Dowell, the firm name being Dowell & Wicks, but at the end of two years he bought out his partner, and has since been carrying on the business alone. His shop is located on Wade street, and having a thorough knowledge of his business, he has built up a large arid lucrative trade. He owns his home, which he built on East Wade street.
Mr. Wick has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Melscena Leach of Iowa, and they had three children: Spencer J., Fountainelle, and William Oscar. His second union was with Miss Henriette Allen, a native of Michigan, and this marriage has resulted in the birth of three children, namely: Harold George: John D., who died at the age of fourteen months; and Lela. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of which he has served as noble grand, and is secretary of the Encampment. In politics he supports the Democrats. A member of the volunteer fire department of El Reno, Company No. I, he has served as treasurer of the same for three terms and is one of the company's oldest members, and has attended many of the firemen's tournaments held in the territory.