PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF OKLAHOMA 1901
Biographies on this page:
LONG, E. H.
MCGRATH, John F.
MASTERMAN, Albert F.
MITCHEM, J. N.
MONTRIEF, W. J.
HON. E. H. LONG, M. D.,
president of the Oklahoma Magnetic Healing Institute, is a man of wide prominence and is one of the largest land owners of Oklahoma, being located near El Reno, Canadian county.
Dr. Long was born in Washington county, Ind., October 12, 1841, and is a son of Harrison and Sarah (Hardin) Long. His grandfather, William, was born in Kentucky, and lived there until his death. Harrison Long was born in Kentucky, and was an early settler in Washington county, Ind., where he owned four farms and was a large stock raiser. He died at the age of forty-five years. In politics he was a Democrat. He married Sarah Hardin, who came of a prominent family of Hardin county, Ky. which county derived its name from the family. Her father was Elisha Hardin, who died in Indiana. She died in Oklahoma in 1895. Six boys and five girls were born to this union, and three sons are now living. G. W. Long, who was a noncommissioned officer in the Ninety-third Illinois Infantry during the Civil War, was seriously wounded at Chickamauga, and now resides at Shawneetown, Ill. J. M. Long served in a Kentucky regiment during the Mexican war, and now lives in Linn county, Kans.
The Hon. E. H. Long was reared on a farm in Indiana, and attended the district schools. When fourteen years old he began clerking in a store, and at the age of nineteen entered upon the study of medicine with Dr. W. W. Duncan. of Clay county, Ill. He began practicing in 1864 in Clay county, Ill., and in 1865 was commissioned by Governor Yates as second lieutenant of Company C, One Hundred and Forty-third Illinois Infantry, serving until the close of the war. After he was mustered out he continued his practice and also engaged in the stock business and farming near Lewisville, Clay county, Ill., where he owned several farms, aggregating three hundred and twenty acres. While practicing there he took a course of study the Eclectic Medical College of Philadelphia, in which he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1873. He removed to Springfield, Mo., in 1878, and practiced there until 1879, when he located in Fall River, Elk County, Kans., there continuing his professional work. In February, 1889, he removed to No Man's Land, Beaver county, Okla., and practiced in Benton, also engaging extensively in raising cattle and horses. Beaver county was opened April 22, 1889, and was the seventh County. He bought and owned one and one-half sections of land, which he improved and cultivated. In August, 1890, he was elected to the first territorial legislature from Beaver County, receiving a majority of two hundred and twenty-one votes over his two opponents. The doctor is a strong Democrat in his political affiliations, and ran on the straight Democratic ticket. He served during a stormy session of hundred and twenty days, and took a very active part in the work. In November, 1895, he located in Canadian county, O. T., purchasing a twelve miles northeast of El Reno. He
is still extensively engaged in, raising thorough and standard bred horses, having about sixty-five head of fine horses now, but has closed out his cattle business. He extensively invested in farm lands, and now owns three thousand and acres, which he has planted to grain of all konds. For years he has practiced magnetic healing, the treatment being by the mind or hands, and is now associated with Professor rehead. He is president of the Oklahoma Magnetic Healing Institute, a chartered instition.
Long was married in Clay county, Ill., with Catherine Smith, who was born at Paola, Ind., and they have six children living: G. W.,
lives on one of his father's farms; Mrs. Margaret C. Russell of Canadian county; Mrs. Lillie O. Moore of Beaver county; Mrs. Laura Hulit of Chickasha, I. T.; Mrs. Bessie Hulit of Chickasha, I. T.; and Frances, who lives at home. Religiously, Mrs. Long is a member of the M. E. church.
JOHN F. McGRATH,
who has been one of the foremost business men of El Reno since locating here, is a member of the well-known firm of W. F. McGrath & Co., grocers.
Mr. McGrath was born in Worcester, Mass., in 1833, and on the maternal line comes of a Quaker family of Uxbridge, Mass. His father, John McGrath, was born in Ireland, and was a young man when he came to America about the year 1815, locating in Worcester, Mass. He engaged in contracting and building there until his death, at the age of sixty-three years. In Massachusetts he was united in marriage with Mehitable Aldrich, who was born in that state and was a daughter of George Aldrich. Three children were born to them: Mrs. Ellen R. Hopkins, of Peabody, Kans.; John F.; and Edward, deceased, who was in the Nineteenth Wisconsin Infantry during the Civil war and was severely wounded.
John F. McGrath was reared in Worcester, Mass., and received his education In the public schools, graduating from the high school about 1850. When fourteen years old he entered the printing office of the National Aegis of that city, learned the trade, but never followed it, as he disliked the business. In 1850 he began clerking in a dry goods store, and after serving an apprenticeship of three years, continued two more years. He went to Wisconsin in 1855 and located in Portage City, where he engaged in the grocery business for five years. In 1860 he went to Bad Axe county, Wis., and was identified with the Diamond Joe Line, the Northern Line and the Dubuque Packet Companies on the Mississippi river during the war. He then engaged in the grocery business at Hastings, Minn., until he located, at Newton, Kans., two years after the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad was built through there. He engaged in the grocery business and was a very prominent man there. He served as councilman for two years, and built two brick stores and two dwellings there. He was connected with the German National Bank as a director, and was interested in Mounds Ridge Bank of McPherson county. In 1885 he removed to Topeka, Kans., and followed the real estate business until April 22, 1889, when he went to Guthrie, Okla. Locating a lot there, which he soon sold, in May, 1890, he settled in El Reno. Constructing a building on Bickford street, he engaged in the real estate and banking business. He organized the Commercial Bank, and served as its cashier until the fall of the same year. He continued his real estate transactions until 1895. when he started in the grocery business, and met with success from the start. In 1897 he took his son into the firm, the firm name becoming W. F. McGrath & Co. He owns and has built numerous residences and business houses in El Reno, and is one of the most progressive citizens here.
Mr. McGrath was married in Groton, Tompkins county, N. Y., to Eliza Peck, who was born there and died in Topeka, Kans. They became parents of two children: Warren F., and May, who died in Topeka, Kans., at the age of twenty-one years. He formed a second union with Mary M. Farnham, who was born in Vermont and was reared in New York State.
Fraternally, he was made a Mason at Portage City, Wis., and belongs to that order here. He is one of the oldest Masons in the territory, having joined the order in 1855. He is a Royal Arch Mason, being secretary of the Chapter, and is the ex-recorder of the Knights Templar here; and a member of India Temple, N. M. S., of Oklahoma City. He is a member of the Baptist Church of Topeka, Kans. Politically, he is enthusiastic in his support of the Republican party.
Warren F. McGrath was born in Hastings, Minn., April 24, 1872. The year of 1887 was spent with his father and family in California. He received a good intellectual training in the public schools of Newton and Topeka, Kans., and was graduated from the high school of the latter city. In 1890 he came to El Reno and was identified with the Commercial Bank, and in 1891 became bookkeeper for the Stock Exchange Bank and continued as such for six years. In 1897 he became identified with his father in the grocery business under the firm name of W. F. McGrath & Co. He was married in El Reno to Lottie E. Strong, who was born in California, and they have two children: Mildred May and Margaret Blanche. Religiously, he is a Baptist.
ALBERT F. MASTERMAN.
The marked financial ability and executive genius of the subject of this sketch, added to his personal popularity, were the reasons for his being called by the people to the responsible office which he is now holding—that of treasurer of Canadian county, Okla., and, needless to say, he is giving complete satisfaction to all concerned. The influence which he has exerted for the advancement of this region cannot be overestimated, and he always is confidently relied upon to do everything within his power in the promotion of the right and true.
Born in Nelson township, Tioga county, Pa., March 24, 1857, our subject is a son of Matthew and Mary (Runyon) Masterman, who were natives of Lincolnshire, England, and of Germany, respectively. The paternal grandfather, Henry Masterman, removed from Lincolnshire to Penn Yan, N. Y., and there, as formerly, devoted his energies to agriculture. His four sons and three daughters were reared to take useful places in the world's activities, and eventually became citizens of the great Wrest. When the time came for him to leave home, Matthew Masterman located in Tioga county, Pa., with his family. and in a little over a year he settled in Mill Creek, Iowa county, Wis. There he cleared a farm of the heavy growth of timber, and after the death of his wife, in 1859, went to Salem. Ind., where he carried on a drug business until in 1878, he received the summons to leave his earthly labors. His wife was the daughter of Milo Runyon, whose last years were passed ui farming near Penn Yan, N. Y. William, the eldest son of Matthew and Mary Masterman, sleeps in an unknown grave in the South, as he died from wounds received in the gallant charge which he and his comrades of Company G, Eleventh Wisconsin Volunteers, made during the siege of Vicksburg. The second son, B. F., now a prominent physician in Independence. Kans., was assistant surgeon of an Indiana regiment while the Civil war was in progress. Mrs. Mary E. Ranyard resides in Wisconsin; Mrs. Ellen Calkins makes her home in Mount Blanco, Colo., and Mrs. Agnes G. Edmunds lives in Kansas. John is a well-known contractor of Spencer. Iowa, and Emmett is vice-president of the Kansas National Bank of Wichita, Kansas. As previously stated, A. F. Masterman was in his third year only when death deprived him of his mother's care, but his eldest sister, Mrs. Ranyard, took care of the boy until he attained the age of fifteen years. The youth then became a member of his brother John's household, in Spencer, Iowa, where he completed his education in the high school. He then became a clerk and in 1880 began learning the drug business in a local establishment, where he remained for four years, also serving as deputy county treasurer of Clay county, Iowa. Having determined to become a resident of Oklahoma whenever it should be opened, the young man went to Elk City. Kans., where his brother Emmett was conducting a drug store, and continued as his clerk for nearly five years. In the meantime he served as a member of the city council for one term and was the city clerk for a like period.
Soon after his arrival in Oklahoma City, April 22, 1889, Mr. Masterman located the lot on which the opera-house now stands, and later sold it to Mr. Overholzer. In January, 1890, he came to El Reno, with which place his destiny has since been united. He had shipped a stock of drugs to Okarche, the terminus of the railroad, hauled lumber from that point to El Rcno, and built the second store erected here. Situated on Beckford street, it still remains in his possession. In the meantime the track was being constructed, and the car containing his drugs was the first carload of merchandise brought to this point. The first druggist in this section of the county, he continued in the business until the spring of 1897, and was connected with many other local enterprises. One of the organizers of the First National Bank, and for some time vice-president of the institution, he then disposed of his interest in the same, only to return later to the ranks of the stockholders.
As a member of the first board of city fathers, Mr. Masterman accomplished much for the infant town of El Reno, and in the spring of 1898 was elected to a position on the board of education, later becoming vice-president of the organization. His general ability and grasp of all practical affairs rendered him a fitting candidate for the responsible office of county treasurer, and in the fall of 1898 he was elected by a small majority over the "fusion" nominee. He is a loyal Republican and one of the great workers in the interests of the party. Besides acting as a delegate to numerous conventions, he has been a member of the territorial central committee, for two years was the chairman of the executive committee of the same, and from 1894 to 1898 was chairman of the county Republican central committee. Socially, he is a Mason of high standing, being a charter member, past master, and the present secretary of El Reno Lodge No. 7, A. F. & A. M.; a charter member of Keystone Chapter No. 9, R. A. M.; and charter member of Ascension Commandery No. 3, K. T., and identified with India Temple, Mystic Shrine. He also is a past officer in the Odd Fellows' order, and belongs to the Woodmen of the World.
The marriage of Mr. Masterman and Miss Sadie A. Ellsworth was celebrated in Milwaukee, Wis., in 1881. She is the daughter of William Ellsworth, who died recently at Mazo Manie, Wis., and was born on a farm near Madison, same state. Three children bless the union of this sterling couple, namely; Lois, Zella and Uinta. The family have a very attractive home, one of the handsomest residences in the city, and besides owning this desirable property, our subject has two excellent farms in this territory.
J. N. MITCHEM.
This gentleman has had many years of experience in dealing in wool, hides and furs, and since 1895 has made his headquarters at El Reno, Okla. He was born in Georgia, his native county being Morgan, and the date of his birth is November 29, 1843. He is a son of Murrell Mitchem.
Murrell Mitchem was a native of North Carolina, where his parents had resided many years, and his trade was that of a millwright and carpenter. He moved to Morgan county, Ga., where he followed his trade, and died there when our subject was a lad of but ten years. He was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Arnold, a native of Georgia, and daughter of James Arnold, who was a planter of that state, and later moved to Sabine county, Tex., where he died in 1861. Mrs. Mitchem passed from this life in 1897. She was the mother of three daughters and six sons, of whom five are still living. They are as follows: Henriette, who died in Georgia; Emily, still residing on the old homestead in Morgan county, Ga.;. Malinda, also living in Georgia; Columbus, who was a soldier in the Confederate army, belonging to Company E, Fifty-third Georgia Regiment, was wounded at Gettysburg, and killed in the battle of the Wilderness; Eugene, who was in the Georgia Cavalry, and died in prison, being taken a captive in the first battle; Henry S., who also was in a Georgia regiment, but died after the close of the war; Emery F., and Alonzo, still of Morgan county, Ga.; and our subject.
J. N. Mitchem was raised on the farm and his early training was obtained in a subscription school. He remained at home until the Civil
war broke out. At the first tap of the drum he went to Savannah, where he spent six months assisting in the building of Fort Boggs, and upon the completion of the fort enlisted in Company E, Fifty-third Georgia Regiment, in McClaus' Division, Longstreet's Corps, and under Gen. Robert E. Lee. He took part in many severe engagements, among them the battles: Seven Pines, Va.; Petersburg, Ya.; Malvern Hill, Va.; Sharpsburg, Md. He was shot through the body, and on account of his injuries was given a sixty days' furlough, but before the expiration of his furlough, joined the regiment, which was in the fighting line at Frcd-ericksburg, and was active in the first battle of the Wilderness; Salem Church; Gettysburg; Funkstown; Culpeper Court-House; Maryland Heights; under General Longstreet, reinforced General Johnston at Chickamauga; next was at Sweetwater; and at Campbell Station, Tenn., our subject was shot through the right arm. Four out of five physicians wanted to amputate the limb, but our subject would not consent, and went home, where he remained until the close of the deadly struggle. In the fall of 1866 he went to Sabine county, Tex., where he spent the first year on his grandfather's estate, but returning to Georgia, engaged in farming until 1869. Returning io Sabine county, Tex., he farmed until 1875, when he went to Lampassas county, Tex., and engaged in freighting to Austin; also dealing in wool and hides. He then continued in the same line of business between Brownwood and St. Angelo, Tex.; then between Brownwood and Goldthwaite, Tex.; for two years transported supplies from Brownwood to Lampassas, Tex.; and then from Brownwood to Ardmore. In the fall of 1893 he went into the hide business, and in 1895 changed his headquarters to El Reno, Okla., where he is the most extensive buyer and shipper of hides, fur and wool. He ships from thirty to forty cars of hides per year, each car containing from 26,000 to 50,000 pounds, and at one time made a $15,000 shipment, which was the largest shipment ever made from Oklahoma territory. He has branch houses at Enid, Oakdale, Weatherford, Chickasha, and has a store at Wynnewood, I. T. The shipments are chiefly to St. Louis and Chicago.
Mr. Mitchem owns a fine home in El Reno, and as he is very fond of flowers he has a small greenhouse. An enterprising and progressive citizen, he enjoys the esteem and respect of hosts of acquaintances throughout the territory. In politics he is an independent voter and has refused to run for office. He has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Eliza Burroughs, of Sabine county, Tex., and they had three children, namely: Vida, a resident of Brownwood,
Tex.; Lulu, who lives at home; and James B., who is a citizen of Sherman, Tex. His second union was with Miss Pauline Cox, a native of Mississippi, their marriage taking place at Eddig,
who is at the head of the Montrief Transfer Company of El Reno, has a record for service in the Confederate army during the Civil war of which he and his family may justly feel proud. He is captain of the camp of Confederate soldiers at El Reno.
Mr. Montrief was born in Franklin county, Virginia, and is a son of Isaac and Frances (Prunty) Montrief. The family is of French origin, but was established in Scotland at an early day. The grandfather of our subject was born in Scotland, and was the only one of his family to come to this country, locating in South Carolina, where he became a planter. Isaac Montrief was born in South Carolina, and was left an orphan at a very early age. He became a planter in Franklin county, Va., and lived there until his death, in 1871, at the age of sixty-five years. He was on Old Line Whig. He married Frances Prunty, who was born in Franklin county, Pa., and was a daughter of Jesse Prunty. Her father was born in Ireland and with three brothers came to America in early manhood, settling in Virginia, where he became a planter. Mrs. Montrief died at Sturgeon, Mo., in August, 1899, aged eighty-four years. Five children were born to Isaac and Frances Montrief, namely: James, who served in a Virginia regiment during the Civil war, and is deceased; Thomas, who also served in a Virginia regiment, and died in Missouri; William J.; Mrs. Louise Oldham of Sturgeon, Mo.; and John F., an engineer of Nevada, Mo.
William J. Montrief was born November J. 1839, and was reared in Virginia. He attended subscription school in an old log schoolhouse, and received a good education, as the school was of high standard. Early in 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate service as a sergeant under Fitzhugh Lee, in Company C, Tenth Virginia Cavalry, and besides taking part in many minor engagements, fought in the Seven Day Battle, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Wilderness and Gettysburg. He went through the siege a Richmond, most of the time being on detached duty as courier for Gens. Robert E. Lee and Samuel Jackson, and Colonel Davis. He was well suited for this particular work, and when anything special was required he was frequently chosen to do it. While serving as a courier he was never captured, although he had many narrow escapes. However, while doing scouting between the lines, he was captured January 2, 1865, by Warren's Corps, and was sent to Washington, D. C., before Lee's surrender, and there took the oath of allegiance and was released. He went to Indiana and then to Richmond, Va., where he taught school for two terms, and then returning to Franklin county, Va., engaged jn farming until 1867, when he went to Missouri and followed farming near Centralia, Boone county, for twenty years. Later he started in the livery business at Sturgeon, and bought and shipped horses. He served as mayor of Sturgeon for one term, and as marshal of the court of common pleas for a like period. In 1887 he removed to Fort Worth, Tex., where he was engaged in the live stock commission business until March, 1892, when he located at El Reno. Purchasing the first transfer line there, he has since continued the business, having seven or eight wagons running. He has met with grand success and has the leading transfer business here. He was treasurer of the Gresham Vitrified Brick Company until he purchased the whole interest, and now the plant is known as the Montrief Brick Company, the yards of which are located west of El Reno on the Choctaw Junction. He has a large tract of fine clay and the capacity of the plant is 30,000 per day. It is a successful enterprise.
Mr. Montrief was married in Boone county, Mo., with Penelope Hendricks, a native of that county, and they have four boys living: Virgil, who has been in the United States mail service at Iloilo, Philippine Islands, since February, 1807, having charge of Station No. 3; Lilburn, who manages his father's transfer business; Everette, who also is identified with the transfer business; and Oldham. In April, 1894, he was elected to the city council from the fourth ward, was re-elected for a short term in 1896. and in 1898 was again elected. He is chairman of the police and ordinance committees, and during his term many valuable improvements have been made. He is a member of the Christian Church, and is chairman of the board of trustees and chairman of the building committee. He is a Democrat in national politics. In 1896 he was a delegate to the St. Louis National Populist Convention and voted for Bryan for President.